Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Legitimate criticism of Islam

There's a great story about a chap called Richard Burton (not that one) who disguised himself as a Muslim, with a comprehensive backstory, in order to experience the Hajj pilgrimage back in the 19th century. He was also an explorer, an exceptional linguist and in his later years a strong critic of British colonial policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

Also one of the lead characters in Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld" series of books.

George Carlin eloquently described religion as "just stupid shit that people made up".
Those gullible enough to take this backward, superstitious nonsense seriously deserve to have the piss taken.

George, in his guise as Rufus, taught Bill & Ted their maxim "be excellent to one another".
George was a very cool dude. :cool:

I actually consider myself a left libertarian of some sort. But I think far too many others of this description ignore the power that non-physical violence can have to restrict people's freedom.

:eek: :eek:

You're a complete fucking head the ball. Libertarian of some sort, sweet fucking Jesus. :facepalm:

Why? What's it to do with you what others believe?

If they're not aggressively evangelising, what's the problem?
No problem, so long as they keep their stupid shit away from me and don't expect any special treatment or privileges for their stupid shit.
They shouldn't be surprised or feel victimised when other people point out that it's stupid shit.

yes. but all you've done is not even present anecdotal evidence but say 'there must be something in it if people have been doing it for so long'. why must there be something in it if people have been doing it for so long? where is the xian god, who one might feel from the evidence of the auld testament - let alone the new - took something of an interest in the matters of the world?
Comfort in praying. No comfort in God as there is no such.

No problem, so long as they keep their stupid shit away from me and don't expect any special treatment or privileges for their stupid shit.
They shouldn't be surprised or feel victimised when other people point out that it's stupid shit.

Ah, you're one of those. Yaaaaawn.

Last edited:
I agree with you about not expecting special treatment, although that is exactly what religious belief does get. However, I know some very good people who are religious. I have no inclination to batter them for it.

born again? twice too often :mad:

hA52227A1

socially acceptable liberal bigotry eh, what larks. well maybe thats harsh- impoliteness.

I agree with you about not expecting special treatment, although that is exactly what religious belief does get. However, I know some very good people who are religious. I have no inclination to batter them for it.
I have worked with many very good people who are religious. They know my views on religion and I have no inclination to batter them provided they keep their delusions to themselves.

I generally find on these threads that the frequency someone posts puerile guff like "stupid shit" is usually inversely proportionate to the prospect of that person contributing anything else worth reading.

Last edited:
I have worked with many very good people who are religious. They know my views on religion and I have no inclination to batter them provided they keep their delusions to themselves.
battering's so passé, people are instead looking back to pursuits of former years like archery

st-sebastian-1506.jpg

Your post before this was frankly drivel. My goal posts were firmly routed thanks very much.
no, they aren't. your goalposts are all over the fucking shop. cheesypoof, who started the chat about prayer, said prayers made the people prayed for feel better. now you're saying they make the prayer - as opposed to the prayee - feel better. that's rather a big fucking shift.

no, they aren't. your goalposts are all over the fucking shop. cheesypoof, who started the chat about prayer, said prayers made the people prayed for feel better. now you're saying they make the prayer - as opposed to the prayee - feel better. that's rather a big fucking shift.

I've never claimed that they make the prayee feel better. How would they do that? Think we may have wires crossed you big arse. :p

Back
Top Bottom