Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

League One 2022-23

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
New season is less than a week away, so thought it was time for a new thread.

The rumour that even the magic roundabout was going to move from swindon to woolwich road turned out not to be true, and another season of mid table mediocrity beckons in sunny SE7

excuse me while i feel underwhelmed...

We're in for a struggle to survive at new heights with a new manager and a summer that involved key players going on to bigger clubs. Derby seem to be recruiting big names despite everything.

Glad to see there are some fellow League One supporters out there.

I'm optimistic, if for no other reason than Wednesday's new home and away kits are excellent. We've had a bit of turnover in the squad and seem a bit lightweight in a few positions but hopefully we'll be there or thereabouts in May.

On the downside - i'm on holiday and will miss MK Dons away, which promises to be quite a day out given the ticket allocation we've been given.

Hope everyone enjoys the season

I'm hoping it's finally going to be a good season for Ipswich. Manager is settled in, pre-season has been ok and we've made a few signings. Some of last season was promising too.

But this is Ipswich and I wouldn't be at all surpised if we are bottom and managerless by October.

I'm glad that our push to the championship is modelled on a club in league 2, but it's OK though because the new owner plays guitar in a local pub after home games. 😑

It's two mini leagues really and we'll do well to scrape midtable in the minnows one. Burchnall might be a revelation but he strikes me as lacking the Mr Motivator spiel Edwards had that got us up even when found out.
See Oxford hung on to that rated lad of theirs, callum brannagan was it?

Here we go! Set up pretty defensively, back at the Mem in the third different division.

Well, that turned out nice, and after a slow start thought we were worth the win. Fellow promoted side in Gas and they had a couple missing but we weren't troubled too often and made the lion's share of the chances. Winner was either a peach of a chip or a cross that the Gust of God wafted in but worth catching on the highlights.

1-1, 6 minutes of injury time gets announced.

We score in the 94th minute

They equalise in the 96th.

Football is back. :(

Shame he didn't run to the away end.
Should have taken the chance, one of the only decent away attendances we'll manage this season. Three men and a dog usually :D
We've signed the much travelled Connor Whickam, hopefully only as backup for Matt until Stevens is fit. Whickam seems to have the pedigree but then he's a sicknote and goals to games ratio not up to much.

He's ex-Ipswich so will probably score a hat trick against us.
Seems to be ex-everyone! Know you're still bedding in a bit but not expecting much from Sat. We showed pretty well at the Gas but they were misfiring and you should test the defence where they barely did.

Not outclassed but two down at the half, Ipswich pressed much better and we've oddly been standing off. Unfortunate injury to Dokes early didn't help but we've only made the odd couple of chances, looks an uphill struggle. Shame as we again stood off for the second right on the stroke which was a cracking finish but could probably have gone in just the one down.

Much improved second half. March on at 45 made a difference and got one back, then Flashscores had us level briefly only for my stream to catch up and show it getting chalked off offside. But had them rocking for a bit. They settled again though and while it was a bit of a ding dong ending we'd missed our chance by then. Still, positive signs for overall survival.

Us too, which is nice, Seems to be worse prize money in this than the crappy Pizza effort though. Armani (yes really) Little had his first start for us and got two goals, looked a handful.

Lincoln away - we have a shocking recent record against Lincoln as the Cowleys really had Cooper's number. Burchnall is mates with Lincoln's current boss I think, followed him in a job out i Sweden. Starting Little after he scored twice in the cup, March too and resting Jamma, hope that pays off. Free water for fans from Lincoln, nice gesture.

Decent away point on the face of it having gone behind, Wickham on his debut off the bench for us. hard to comment on performance as stream was so patchy but we looked fine it what little I did see.

Early doors, but a decent start for Wednesday as well although apparently we have not been totally convincing. Have been away so not managed to catch up with any games other than youtube highlights, but this week's games should tell us more.

Slightly surprising to see MKD and Oxford towards the bottom of the table given how they did last season, although MK have lost Scott Twine.

Seen Wickham's goal on the highlights and it was quality, top control and strength to shrug off their lad. If he turns out to be strangely in the mood for us will be a big bonus.

Accy visiting, should be looking for the three points though they won well away in Salop and had a bit of a goalfest at Burton, though latter look in a bit of a state this season.

i might just not get a friendly text message from my plymouth supporting friend at full time this evening...

Rained off late, which was a real shame for the Accy fans who had travelled, but apparently was a bit biblical. Drains quite well on top of the Cotswolds in normal circumstances but all came down at just the wrong time.

Got a pumping off the Pilgrims, and stream was crap so didn't even see much of it, not that I tried too hard after we were two down. Not incredibly off it first half, but they basically waltzed through for the goals while we offered little in reply despite them looking a bit shaky at the back and having just suffered a bad loss themselves. Blah blah learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom