Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lapland New Forest - Summer Covid Edition

An entire summer of everyone remembering why they don't take holidays in the UK. So much of UK hospitality is just terrible. Hotels full of petty rules and staff who think the concept of customer service is a nasty american import which should be pushed back against.

Step 3 of the roadmap should have been precluded by mandatory viewing of repeats of Fawlty Towers. Or Holiday on the Buses. Hi-de-Hi was considered a step too far by members of the SAGE behavioural group.

Last edited:
The last time I went on a proper holiday, I was staying in the UK. Me and a friend who came along had a great time. The hotel was clean and looked very pretty, the service was excellent, the bed was probably the most comfy one I've ever slept in, and I had an excellent breakfast. The only problem I had is that I couldn't book more nights than I did.

I think people are just staying at the wrong places. Like Britannia Hotels.

Step 3 of the roadmap should have been precluded by mandatory viewing of repeats of Fawlty Towers. Or Holiday on the Buses. Hi-de-Hi was considered a step too far by members of the SAGE behavioural group.
Bah I missed the chance to make terrible Ted Bovis-19 and Spike 'protein' Dixon jokes. Now I will never win the knobbly covid competition.

The grand is Scarborough is anything but. Looks pretty on the outside but it’s literally like the shining inside. I’m amazed it’s still open. Britannia just sucking the life out of it. In dire need of renovation.

and oh dr beeching has been sealed in concrete and buried at the bottom of the mariana trench

An entire summer of everyone remembering why they don't take holidays in the UK. So much of UK hospitality is just terrible. Hotels full of petty rules and staff who think the concept of customer service is a nasty american import which should be pushed back against.
Although, I suppose post Brexit there will be fewer Spanish waiters.

Mostly it's the expense and lack of public transport (or the expensive public transport, best part of a tenner for a return bus at uncertain times? Fuck off)

Mostly it's the expense and lack of public transport (or the expensive public transport, best part of a tenner for a return bus at uncertain times? Fuck off)
Heading to Lands End in August for a week.it isn't that expensive to read a book on a beach and go for an occasional swim in the bracing waters plus explore the pre and not so pre historic sites (very admittedly not relying on buses) before meandering around some village or other.

Couple of years ago, after a nine mile coastal meander we did stop off in a St Austell tied public house in Tring. £50 lighter, watered, ice creamed but unfed the taxi at £15 seemed a bargain. There must be some families spending up to 400 squid a day on food, water and general crap over there. The locals know that once the October mists set in few tourists arrive and with lock downs there is a lot of catching up to do. Charging £1 a pint of milk is nothing to these folk. They see it as their birth right.

Main problem in previous visit was a boring as fuck late middle aged couple who apparently thought in that very English way that they had cultural ownership over an idyllic near deserted cove due to their detailed viewing of Poldark. As Mr Twat surveyed my family and me with his internal race and snob o meter, Mrs Twat adopted that bizarre form of slow, clear, firm and fair English that is used with the perceived foreign who are assumed to be mostly harmless but with the potential to become recalcitrant toddlers. In response to my statement that I was aware of Poldark but had never watched it I witnessed cultural chasms erupt. The statement that we were from London only going someway to explain our apparent barbarism. Look forwards to these types being vastly outnumbered by wild camping hordes in 2021. Cannot wait!

“I'm a marketing and customer service manager so I know what I'm talking about”

:D :D :D

This one has received widespread coverage:

"It was just a free for all, with way too many people and not enough staff to organise it." He said they queued for 90 minutes to get into the park when everyone had pre-paid online tickets, and then had to queue for half an hour for toilets, and another hour for food. "The restaurants that where supposed to be open were shut, long waits for rides for them to break down then not given a fast pass to save you queuing again, toilets dirty all day, no rides sprayed or cleaned at all. "Some rides were shut, which we knew beforehand. But we never even managed to get on one ride with break-downs and queuing, so we gave up and went home in the end."

Lindsay's youngest son queued for around one-hour to go on the dinosaur rollercoaster but as he got halfway around the ride, it broke down. The mum also told of the lengthy wait time for attractions. She said: "We queued for Mumbo Jumbo for two hours for a 30 second ride.

...however no mention of flamingoes or lack thereof. :confused:

This one has received widespread coverage:

"It was just a free for all, with way too many people and not enough staff to organise it." He said they queued for 90 minutes to get into the park when everyone had pre-paid online tickets, and then had to queue for half an hour for toilets, and another hour for food. "The restaurants that where supposed to be open were shut, long waits for rides for them to break down then not given a fast pass to save you queuing again, toilets dirty all day, no rides sprayed or cleaned at all. "Some rides were shut, which we knew beforehand. But we never even managed to get on one ride with break-downs and queuing, so we gave up and went home in the end."

Lindsay's youngest son queued for around one-hour to go on the dinosaur rollercoaster but as he got halfway around the ride, it broke down. The mum also told of the lengthy wait time for attractions. She said: "We queued for Mumbo Jumbo for two hours for a 30 second ride.

...however no mention of flamingoes or lack thereof. :confused:
I don't know why mini riots don't erupt in these situations.

Police said the events mirrored the chaotic scenes of famous ITV comedy show "Benidorm".

Officers from the Etwall, Hatton and Hilton Safer Neighbourhood Team said on their Facebook page: "Concentrated into a dystopian four-mile geographic radius around Foremark Reservoir, located near Ticknall, hundreds of excursionists and sightseers - armed with crates of lager, barbecues and giant inflatable dinghies – descended for what soon became a day of shame."

A fine entry that one... "a dystopian four-mile geographic radius" :D
The article is perfect on so many levels. The police appear to be able to make up punishment on the hoof over there as well:

Shockingly, police said a number of motorists - described as "bare-chested hooligans" - terrified homeowners on Repton Road by blocking their driveways with cars and left litter on their gardens.

The motorists were identified and were told by police to do a litter pick as a punishment which had left them "red-faced".

Back
Top Bottom