Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Council Watch - news and updates about the 'co-operative' council

I have a couple of friend swho used to live there I could try and ask, one a tenant the other a leaseholer IIRC.
You could. That consultation information suggests things are going on at a high level - implying Lambeth Planning/Housing in cahoots with Hyde Housing (or vv).
A bit like the much delayed asset strip demolition of Lambeth Hospital to pay for building works at the Maudsley main site and the Bethlem.
I wonder if Belleview Mansions is one of the key development sites identified by Lambeth Planning, along with the Acre Lane Tescos and the Effra Road sites in Brixton including Currys and Halfords?

All it wants in Lambeth these days is to reach a tipping point and we get some monstrosity like the Higgs Yards at Loughborough Junction - where a Housing Association (Peabody) is selling luxury flats at nearly £1 million to turn a profit.
The Cressingham Gardens scheme has so far not been implemented because of the resistance of the residents, coupled with wide public support for them.
No idea if Belleview Mansions have similarly committed residents.
I'll probably see my fiend who lives there tomorrow and enquire further.

You could. That consultation information suggests things are going on at a high level - implying Lambeth Planning/Housing in cahoots with Hyde Housing (or vv).
A bit like the much delayed asset strip demolition of Lambeth Hospital to pay for building works at the Maudsley main site and the Bethlem.
I wonder if Belleview Mansions is one of the key development sites identified by Lambeth Planning, along with the Acre Lane Tescos and the Effra Road sites in Brixton including Currys and Halfords?

All it wants in Lambeth these days is to reach a tipping point and we get some monstrosity like the Higgs Yards at Loughborough Junction - where a Housing Association (Peabody) is selling luxury flats at nearly £1 million to turn a profit.
The Cressingham Gardens scheme has so far not been implemented because of the resistance of the residents, coupled with wide public support for them.
£665k is quite a way of £1million. It may be small change to you, but for a lot of people that's quite a big difference.

£665k is quite a way of £1million. It may be small change to you, but for a lot of people that's quite a big difference.
Funnily enough a Peabody tenant phoned into LBC the other day quoting £1 million, whilst they live in mouldy squalour which Peabody refuse to fix.
Perhaps you should stop fantasising about my bank account, listen to the complaints of Peabody tenants - and question why a sub-standard housing association is morphing into a property developer.2024-06-13.jpg

Last edited:
Funnily enough a Peabody tenant phoned into LBC the other day quoting £1 million, whilst they live in mouldy squalour which Peabody refuse to fix.
Perhaps you should stop fantasising about my bank account, listen to the complaints of Peabody tenants - and question why a sub-standard housing association is morphing into a property developer.View attachment 428737
Apart from the fact this isn't Higgs Yard

Apologies if this has been posted before - but the headline here is so deliciously pregnant

From Southwark News:

"Other ex-Lambeth Labour Councillors also standing in the general election include Honest Luke Murphy (Basingstoke), Imogen Walker (Hamilton and Clyde Valley), Kevin Craig (Central Suffolk and North Ipswich) and Iain Simpson (Broadland and Fakenham)."

From Brixton Buzz last month:

"Other ex-Lambeth Labour Councillors also standing in the general election include Honest Luke Murphy (Basingstoke), Imogen Walker (Hamilton and Clyde Valley), Kevin Craig (Central Suffolk and North Ipswich) and Iain Simpson (Broadland and Fakenham)."

Honest Luke Murphy.

Arf.

I should try and slip more of these in if legacy media are just going to copy and paste.

This chap is only recently retired as a Lambeth Councillor - due to boundary changes abolishing the historic Bishop's Ward

Open Democracy having a crack about the North Ipswich constituency where Mr Craig made a donation and was parachuted in - as was his Tory opponent

This chap is only recently retired as a Lambeth Councillor - due to boundary changes abolishing the historic Bishop's Ward

Open Democracy having a crack about the North Ipswich constituency where Mr Craig made a donation and was parachuted in - as was his Tory opponent

He also appears on the Novara List of Shame.

Heard second hand about this via other friends, apparently there is to be a "vote" by the residents but they will be turfed out anyway and can't do anything about it.
I guess the tenants may be rehomed and the leaseholders will get a payment, then I suspect a fairly tall building will appear there.

• Sad
Reactions: CH1
The biggest problem the council has isn't left-wing or right-wing, or big strategic decision making. The biggest problem is lack of basic competance. If they got that right, we'd all be better off.
Quite.

To quote Jason Cobb again:
“The council wants to be groundbreaking in everything they do. But there’s no point being groundbreaking when you can’t do the basics."

The latest "you couldn't make it up" story from
Lambeth is in the Municipal Journal
"On Monday (Lambeth Chief executive Bayo Dosunmu) was charged with possession of a class A controlled drug, failing to stop after a road accident, driving above the proscribed alcohol limit, and using a motor vehicle in a public place without third party insurance"

Someone who seems like they know what they're talking about told me that because Lambeth Council will be counting cross borough constituencies they need the Secretary of State to replace the CEO as acting returning officer.

No idea if they're right but they did sound confident

Someone who seems like they know what they're talking about told me that because Lambeth Council will be counting cross borough constituencies they need the Secretary of State to replace the CEO as acting returning officer.

No idea if they're right but they did sound confident
I think the regulations just specify that Lambeth is the lead borough conducting the count for each of the cross-borough seats.

The Representation of the People Act 1983 states that the formal Returning Officer for constituencies in London Boroughs (at least the ones without elected Mayors) is the "civic" Mayor.

It seems so extreme that I'm wondering whether he's out of control due to an addiction.
If this was in the USA he might probably get away with it by checking into an addiction clinic.
There was a much more extreme high profile case in Canada Rob Ford - Wikipedia
I can't remember the details - but I think Mayor Rob Ford did resign, had counselling and then got voted back into office.
But Canadians are like liberal Australians I guess. And Rob Ford was a Canadian ocker.

I think our Chief Executive should resign. After all if he was a tube driver and failed a drugs test he would be sacked on the spot.
More to the point these days council staff often have to take DBS checks, and enhanced DBS checks.
It would be bizarre is the Chief Exec got a free pass on these issues which would disqualify lower levels of staff from employment.

I can't see how Mr Dosunmu can do anything else than resign.

Back
Top Bottom