Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour & Anti-Semitism.

Wasn't in response to you btw. Obviously there is a general trend towards people voting tory as they get older, plenty of historical data to support and it stands to reason as people accrue capital, favour economic stability to preserve pension wealth etc, and therefore become more adverse to political change and obviously this doesn't apply to everybody on an individual level with plenty of contrary examples. I agree with you :)

can't answer for Topcat, but gotta say, was reading this this morning, and reflecting on the fact that these are pretty unprecedented times for the left( in post WW2 terms) ... so ... "pretty good " would be my answer , how's yours ?
(my emphasis)
I mean I take issue with both your claim and your focus on electoralism in 3,504, but the bit I bolded is the real problem you are explicitly linking your politics not to the working class but to "the left".

Interesting the need to have holocaust denial or mitigation on the table isn't it. Afaik there are no challenges to lots of other historical events like I dunno the highland clearances, yet there are those who's politics leads them to a place where it would be beneficial to be able to minimise or completely exclude the holocaust.

Interesting the need to have holocaust denial or mitigation on the table isn't it. Afaik there are no challenges to lots of other historical events like I dunno the highland clearances, yet there are those who's politics leads them to a place where it would be beneficial to be able to minimise or completely exclude the holocaust.
IT has taken him three years, but one of Scotland's most outspoken writers has finally finished his book ''exposing'' the Highland clearances as a myth, a claim which is now fuelling the biggest controversy of his career.

Michael Fry unveils his argument in the Scottish Review of Books in today's Sunday Herald, ahead of the July publication of Wild Scots, Four Hundred Years Of Highland History.

His claims have already been criticised by leading Scots academic Tom Devine, who fears the revisionist tract will lead to a "war" even more explosive than the debate on sectarianism.

Haha.

Actually a good example though, cos from that article it's clear Fry has arrived at this desire to contradict an established and documented historical event for political reasons (says he's an ex tory candidate)

As much as anywhere I'd imagine maybe more. Probably quite common among Tory candidates.

Liked but not liked as it were.

Just reading this now - not impressed by the ‘uneducated hairdresser’ vibe, but interesting about the school curriculum and the clearances

Anyway what I'm (probably clumsily) getting at is that the wish or need to deny this stuff comes from a wish or need to justify a political outlook.

Tankie types will try and minimise, excuse, or deny loads of stuff, like on twitter right now you will find people insisting north korea is a great place to live or that gaddafi was 100% a great lad or whatever. And white nationalists & supremacists and people who name their dogs adolf and eva will mostly minimise, excuse, or deny the holocaust because its politically easier to do that than it is to embrace it (although some hard faced types do).

So it says something really fucking grim about an apparently emancipatory politics which is about social justice and liberation that the need to minimise, excuse, or deny the holocaust becomes so attractive, or perhaps necessary. Yet for a section or current of the left - not all of it by any means of course, it's specifically the keffiyeh hands off iran types and then not all of them - it has become attractive or necessary to either reduce the event of the holocaust itself ('it is possible that it did not happen in exactly the way we were taught') or to reduce its historical importance ('what about this other horrible stain on history which I am going to call a holocaust to be a prick' like walker's african holocaust comments). So for anybody who recognises some of their own politics in the politics of these types surely this is enough to reflect on your political outlook rather than the minimising stuff, oh its just random cranks and I've never heard it in my CLP although we discuss palestine every month for some reason

Has tory boy MiB posted up any of the apologies the JC has had to publish for talking drivel yet? Or mentioned the 'massive file' full of anti-semites, that turned out to contain a single person?

Somehow I doubt it.

Make of this what you will

He's making quite a leap there. Milne could think Peston is biased for any number of reasons based on facts or otherwise and nothing Peston says points to it being down to his identity.

He's making quite a leap there. Milne could think Peston is biased for any number of reasons based on facts or otherwise and nothing Peston says points to it being down to his identity.

I didn’t take that as his (main) point, But rather the (depressing) politicisation of Jewish ‘identity’ that occurred over the last few years.

Idiots such as belboid have happily strengthened (Jewish) identity politics with their clownery. Good work lads

I didn’t take that as his (main) point, But rather the (depressing) politicisation of Jewish ‘identity’ that occurred over the last few years.

Idiots such as belboid have happily strengthened (Jewish) identity politics with their clownery. Good work lads
Yeah, I should have quoted that bit.

The "they would say that their Jewish" type shit was all over Facebook when I indulged in such things.

Oh come on this is bollocks. Disagree with MiB by all means but this "tory boy" stuff is baseless.
he cheered the tory victory, on this very thread, cos he thought it meant 'game over' for those who disagree with him, and the awful IHRA etc. Tory is as Tory does.

(and, I take it that's a 'no' - he wont recognise or accept any instance when those he quotes have been proven to talk shite)

Back
Top Bottom