Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

Yes. it's likely he was a responsible 'gang thug' - not a 'proper' one at all.
You must live some nice place where there isn't a difference between 'people that hang with their local friends' and 'mental rapists that eat shopkeepres and children for breakfast'.

Of course, you're right in spite of yourself, because while you're attempting to stigmatise with your banal comment, you've accidenatlly brought up a truth that's been evident to historians and social scientists for at least 150 years: That elements of the working class (I believe that your fellow-eugenicists of that era referred to them as "the residuum") are more likely to be criminal.

Or to rephrase it slightly "to have their actions categorised as criminal".

Steal a pair of trainers and you're thief scum.
Steal a country and your on a plinth on the Mall.

You must live some nice place where there isn't a difference between 'people that hang with their local friends' and 'mental rapists that eat shopkeepres and children for breakfast'.
I live in Edmonton and I'm not on the side of trigger-happy police, believe it or not.

Go on, don't let me interfere with your attempts to paint this guy as angel. It's so fucking important, isn't it! People have died since and lost their homes - but go on.

I live in Edmonton and I'm not on the side of trigger-happy police, believe it or not.

Go on, don't let me interfere with your attempts to paint this guy as angel. It's so fucking important, isn't it! People have died since and lost their homes - but go on.
If there were a death penalty in the UK for 'bein a dogdgey bastard', then there would be a huge fuckton dead, not just the hadful.

Who puts that plinth there? Who supports it? Drawing false comparisons to excuse really disturbing looting and arson - why would you want to?

If there were a death penalty in the UK for 'bein a dogdgey bastard', then there would be a huge fuckton dead, not just the hadful.
Silly, comparison again. A blunder/psycho cop is worrying and the difficulties of his job doesn't excuse it - hardly death penalty policy, though, is it?

I mentioned (on one of Urban's interminable "class" threads :D ) that the social historian John Benson wrote an interesting take (based on, among other things, research by Booth and his contemporaries) on "working class incomes" which was quantified as having four components: money earned legitimately; money borrowed from friends/relatives on short-term/informal terms of repayment; forms of charity "from above"; the proceeds of petty crime.

It's certainly an interesting take, and although we could probably replace "charity" with "welfare to an extent, it certainly has held true through my own lifetime - most of the people I grew up with had no choice but to be non-averse to "snide" sources of income, and the same holds true for my neighbours etc.

And yeah, steal a loaf of bread and get transported as against steal a realm and get remembered in the history books!

So he's alluding to what then?

Well, that's your case to make, isn't it? You obviously believe he's alluding to "really disturbing looting and arson", but could have been alluding to someone nicking a pair of trainers, which doesn't exactly constitute "disturbing looting", and certainly doesn't constitute "arson".

Up your game, eh?

(sits back, waits)

Well, that's your case to make, isn't it? You obviously believe he's alluding to "really disturbing looting and arson", but could have been alluding to someone nicking a pair of trainers, which doesn't exactly constitute "disturbing looting", and certainly doesn't constitute "arson".

Up your game, eh?

(sits back, waits)
You can't allude to trainers being nicked by rioters without the whole context of mass looting and arson. Of course, that would be belittling what's happened over the past few days and hence reactions to it, which was my point, of course.

You can't allude to trainers being nicked by rioters without the whole context of mass looting and arson. Of course, that would be belittling what's happened over the past few days and hence reactions to it, which was my point, of course.

I don't think you know what 'allude' means.

I don't think you know what 'allude' means.
I think you don't. He wasn't alluding to 'trainers being nicked', as that's what he actually said; but alluding to 'trainers being nicked in the riots, in the past few days' - that he didn't specifically say in the post.

Ah, NOW you seek to find out, after you've sounded off! Well done!!
Reasonable to think he was given the context of this thread and mass looting across the country in the past few days.

But, maybe you need to take a few leaves out of your own book, when you suddenly jumped in like a moron, yesterday, 'projecting' so much bullshit.

Who puts that plinth there? Who supports it? Drawing false comparisons to excuse really disturbing looting and arson - why would you want to?

Who's excusing looting and arson? Can you point it out to me please? Far be it from me to suggest you're building strawmen and generally talking out of your arse.

Who's excusing looting and arson? Can you point it out to me please? Far be it from me to suggest you're building strawmen and generally talking out of your arse.

Why bother when you can copy and paste :)

My old man once had his car nicked when he'd left it unlocked with the keys in the ignition. Obviously, by pointing out that he was a bit of a twat for leaving it like that I was excusing the thieves.

I think you don't. He wasn't alluding to 'trainers being nicked', as that's what he actually said; but alluding to 'trainers being nicked in the riots, in the past few days' - that he didn't specifically say in the post.

Tell me what you think allude means, and whether it can be done with or without context, whatever that means.

Tell me what you think allude means, and whether it can be done with or without context, whatever that means.
If there's an absence of context then one might be alluding to one. In this case it's fair to assume an allusion to the recent riots.

zzzz

Back
Top Bottom