Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

If there's an absence of context then one might be alluding to one. In this case it's fair to assume an allusion to the recent riots.

zzzz

What the fuck are you on about? I asked you to point out where anyone excused rioting and looting and you post this meaningless bollocks :confused: Are you a bit "special"?

You can't allude to trainers being nicked by rioters without the whole context of mass looting and arson. Of course, that would be belittling what's happened over the past few days and hence reactions to it, which was my point, of course.

Did arson accompany every incidence of looting, or vice versa? If not then your "point" is flawed, and you're merely conflating events to make a point.

Separate everything into disparate acts if you will but together they form a context.

What is this thing they call context? Is it a bit like the socio-economic context in which these riots have taken place? Kids with no future, who are constantly told you should be judged on what you own? Who are told you are nothing unless you have all the right gear? Gear that is well beyond their means and will likely remain so? Combined with a police force that constantly lies to them and treats them like animals? Kids who have no viable political outlet for their concerns? Like that?

I thought it went without saying but I'll spell it out to you, since your mental faculties are clearly lacking: I haven't once condoned looting or arson, not once - I won't because I don't approve of people burning working class people out of their homes or frightening vulnerable people. But I can understand some of the reasons why it happened. When people have serious, legitimate grievances and no legitimate political outlet through which to express and remedy them this is what happens - it's ugly, it's incoherent, it's offensive and it's not really any help to anyone.

What is this thing they call context? Is it a bit like the socio-economic context in which these riots have taken place? Kids with no future, who are constantly told you should be judged on what you own? Who are told you are nothing unless you have all the right gear? Gear that is well beyond their means and will likely remain so? Combined with a police force that constantly lies to them and treats them like animals? Kids who have no viable political outlet for their concerns? Like that?

I thought it went without saying but I'll spell it out to you, since your mental faculties are clearly lacking: I haven't once condoned looting or arson, not once - I won't because I don't approve of people burning working class people out of their homes or frightening vulnerable people. But I can understand some of the reasons why it happened. When people have serious, legitimate grievances and no legitimate political outlet through which to express and remedy them this is what happens - it's ugly, it's incoherent, it's offensive and it's not really any help to anyone.
Good speech. Wrong person.

I'm struggling to see what "point" you're making here now faux pas, other than that you're an arrogant twat with delusions of adequacy - you're making that point loud and clear.

I'm struggling to see what "point" you're making here now faux pas, other than that you're an arrogant twat with delusions of adequacy - you're making that point loud and clear.
Actually, I don't know what your beef is. You've been barking up the wrong tree. It's not about you, okay. You can calm down now.

So, if I may paraphrase, when there's an absence of context, one might be referring to the context.

Are you SURE you know what 'allude' means?

The sole absence of the context doesn't infer that one IS alluding to one, only that one might be.

Now I'm convinced you don't know what 'allude' means.

Also, for the record, being as some seem to be blissfully unaware of their own style of engagement:
yes, but you've quoted it without the rest of the post I wrote, which does contain a fair and reasoned argument.
not really cricket that, is it?
(In truth, that was a temperamental over-reaction by me, which I shouldn't have said, but it was in response to a staggeringly dumb post, as anyone can see)

The sole absence of the context doesn't infer that one IS alluding to one, only that one might be.

Now I'm convinced you don't know what 'allude' means.
Actually, that's too ambiguous for you to grasp, let me rephrase:

The sole absence of a context doesn't necessarily mean one is or might be alluding to one. My only point was, given the past few days, it's reasonable to think the poster was alluding to one ('one' being the riots').

Back
Top Bottom