Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

Did you google 'infer' before posting that? Either that or you thought for 6 minutes about what your reply was going to be.

How do you know anything about what people tend to do?

I can't. I can suppose, I can assume, I can extrapolate from prior knowledge, but actually knowing is usually a hindsight thing, where your suppositions, extrapolations and assumptions are, to a greater or lesser degree, confirmed.

Human relations aren't like physics, there are no "laws" of behaviour that extend beyond "extremely general but not universally applicable". Even tendencies may be specific to context.

I can't. I can suppose, I can assume, I can extrapolate from prior knowledge, but actually knowing is usually a hindsight thing, where your suppositions, extrapolations and assumptions are, to a greater or lesser degree, confirmed.

Human relations aren't like physics, there are no "laws" of behaviour that extend beyond "extremely general but not universally applicable". Even tendencies may be specific to context.
What tendencies may be specific to context, then?

What tendencies may be specific to context, then?
Tendencies toward certain types of behaviour have been shown to be context-specific, i.e. the behaviour only emerges with certain situations. Milgram showed that tendencies to obedience behaviour that didn't emerge in some contexts emerged under others.

Another example would be your tendency to abuse, which only emerges when someone points out that you're wrong/talking shite/a tool.

Hope that helps! ;)

Milgram.

As you like to be picky.......

Oh, and no one has claimed 'that certain types of behaviour only emerge with certain situations.' Thats you making things up again, that is.

oh look, faux has edited its post, probly just realised what shite it was talking

As you exemplified your point with Milgrim: Just because Milgrim showed that 'tendencies to obedience behaviour emerged in some contexts', how does it follow that certain types of behaviour only emerge with certain situations'?

Is it a bit like your tendency not be able to see your own abusive nature? :)

You're still looking for laws of behaviour. They don't exist, so give it up. Certain types of behaviour almost only emerge in certain situations, but you can only show that for specific individuals or small groups. For other individuals the same type of behaviour might only emerge in very different situations.

Back
Top Bottom