Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

'This thread is showing how many reactionary scumbags haunt these boards'

What, because they don't support looters who burn working class people out of their homes, now I wonder if they say the same when it happens in N.I

Shame they can't shoot a few of the thieving scumbags.

PO0302beanbag-2-2.jpg

Bean bag rounds, ftw.

'This thread is showing how many reactionary scumbags haunt these boards'

What, because they don't support looters who burn working class people out of their homes, now I wonder if they say the same when it happens in N.I
it's interesting that the focus has turned towards looters and away from the people who were fighting the police. oh - and i'd like to see evidence, if you please, of looters setting people's homes on fire.

Bollocks. Its just the subspecies out to grab more shit, while causing maximum destruction all round. Which is just what they do.

Giles..

Can you be more specific please as this could describe the politicians, city traders or rioters thus proving my point.

It's not a case of "supporting looters" - it's a case of not joining the Daily Mail moral majority saying "look at these low-life thieving scum" when explosions of anger at social conditions kick off.

I hear what you are saying, and if I had grown up on some sink estate the product of dysfunctional parents, had not achieved anything educationally and all that I aspired to was hanging round on street corners, mugging teenagers for their mobiles and wishing I could be a drug lord, then yes I may well think that riot, looting and arson was the answer.

Gosh, you've not made a single sweeping assumption based on dick-all except your own social prejudices there, have you?

But we all know it's not don't we?

Do we, or are you projecting your own prejudices onto others, assuming that they would agree with you?

Not sure about broken bones. Transmitting the impact of a single bullet over the surface area of a police radio pack would give you a stonker of a bruise, but unless you had osteoporosis, is shouldn't break any bone thicker that your little finger.

Either way it's hard to believe he wouldn't have noticed it 'til he got back to the nick :D

This is your great contribution to the revolution is it, shrieking and name calling because some people aren't wanking over the idea of wanton destruction?
calling you a thick fuck is name calling. pointing out that you're a conservative is, in my view, simply stating the bleeding obvious.

Bollocks. Its just the subspecies out to grab more shit, while causing maximum destruction all round. Which is just what they do.

Giles..
Am I right in thinking that the concept of 'socio-economic context' is a tad too tricky for your poor lil reactionary brain to handle?:rolleyes:

calling you a thick fuck is name calling. pointing out that you're a conservative is, in my view, simply stating the bleeding obvious.

So, is everyone who is against violence and wanton destruction a tory, then? Silly boy.

Would love you to say that to the people across London sifting through the debris of their communities today.

So, is everyone who is against violence and wanton destruction a tory, then? Silly boy.

Would love you to say that to the people across London sifting through the debris of their communities today.
you're thick as fucking pigshit, you really are. i have already said that i don't mean conservative with a big c as in conservative and unionist party; i mean you're a conservative with a small c.

you even quoted the fucking post you shitferbrains cunt.

god i am so glad i'm not involved in left politics anymore, i wonder how people like Norman managed to conceal their views in real life, then again, their parties are miniscule

you're thick as fucking pigshit, you really are. i have already said that i don't mean conservative with a big c as in conservative and unionist party; i mean you're a conservative with a small c.

you even quoted the fucking post you shitferbrains cunt.

Yes, yes, the whole world's against you & you're misunderstood. If only more people thought like you did, etc.

Such bitterness. Shouldn't you be out fighting the good fight?

There is something interesting about the retailers that have been targeted and how they have been hit.

There is a tension between, on the one hand, the desire to expropriate the commodities that are sold to you from day to day (for example JD Sport, H&M, KFC and HMV )with the desire to damage the shop more than is strictly necessary in order to loot it.

Obviously there is a danger of reading too much into this, as other business were effected like the old hairdressers up in Tottenham and to some extent these brands represent what is available on the relevant high streets. Intentionally or otherwise, trashing Nando's and KFC has a symbolic quality, especially when another target would presumably have been more profitable.

It also seems interesting how disorder moved outwards from the edge of the inner city to the suburbs more readily than towards the centre of the inner city. Again, there is a danger of reading too much into this. Specifically, Mark Duggan's killing happened to trigger events in Haringey in a particular way that make it unwise to make sweeping generalisations. However, we may be going through a period of transformation in our cities where they gentrification of the centre will be reinforced by the crisis (cf. Tory policy statements on housing benefit in central London). I would guess that in the past recessions have been more associated with a middle class retreat to the suburbs or further afield in London. There is clearly an attempt to make London more like Paris, where the affluent centre is sheltered from rage of the banlieue ('suburb'). I think this could be a seen as a moment of conflict that may determine if this process proceeds unhindered.

It is hard, if not impossible, to explain why trouble didn't spread to Hackney. Factors may include the Hackney One Festival being cancelled. The police have made a recent show of strength with mass arrests on the Penbury estate and were making their presence felt last night. It could just be 'happenstance'. But the successful gentrification of Haggerston, Stoke Newington, Lower Clapton etc. also seems to be a factor.

Edit to add that Imention Hackney specifically as: (a) I know Hackney, (b) it is an example of heading in rather than out of town.

Back
Top Bottom