Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

Who gives a fuck about a bit of looting!? As an ex-employee of Currys I am greatly enjoying seeing the stores being cleared out.

There are now many towns in Britain with practically no shops left to loot even if someone had the desire to do so.

It's just a bunch of stupid useless scumbags grabbing some free brand-name trainers. They've got nothing to protest about. They are just out on a "gibs me dat" grab whatever they can mission.

Giles..

Seems like only chain shops attacked from what I've read. Any confirmed that small shops or homes attacked?

Anyone already mentioned the pathetic whining Nick Cohen article yesterday or so 'Where are the UK (anti austerity) riots?' lol you spoke to soon.

14 and 15-year olds are interested in games, trainers, phones, bikes and other electricals. Unless small shop-owners stock those....

It's just a bunch of stupid useless scumbags grabbing some free brand-name trainers. They've got nothing to protest about. They are just out on a "gibs me dat" grab whatever they can mission.

Giles..

This is a Capitalist economy. Looters are sole traders taking the oppurtunity to increase their earnings. No different to any other business.

No. They're kids on an adrenalin-fuelled beano.

You could see them yesterday afternoon. Oblivious to the crowds, moving around on their gansta buzz, waiting for the moment. Completely lost in their mid-teen world.

I'm not saying there isn't a wider (influencing) context but, for them, it's about the moment.

Seems like only chain shops attacked from what I've read. Any confirmed that small shops or homes attacked?

Seemed to be plenty of small shopkeepers have had problems from the reporting on BBC News 24, and on Radio 5 live in whilst the looting was going on. A woman was trapped in a flat over a shop with looters in it, buildings on fire nearby and she had a sick baby on oxygen, she had phoned Radio5 live because she could get no response on 999.
(I have not heard an update about that.)

Sounds nasty. Where's the report from?

I heard a report on the radio this morning, this was after a search, not sure it's the same building or not - it might well be that fire spread to the building and that it wasnt deliberately targetted, either way... :(
Stuart Radose, who fled his flat as fire ravaged the building, told of his terror as he watched helplessly from his balcony when the rioters closed in.

“We live on the top floor and we could see the rioters coming closer. Aldi was on fire and barricades were being made by rioters. It was really scary,” he said.

"There didn't seem to be a police presence at all. Buildings seemed to be allowed to burn. I guess they couldn't get there."

"I think we've probably spent our last night Tottenham. We’re shocked. It just can’t sink in that we’re looking at our home. This is London, this is where we live and it’s like a warzone. We’ve lost everything.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...eaceful-vigil-led-to-devastating-carnage.html

All I see is people wanting an excuse to go and nick a load of stuff that they probably already own in the first place. If anything the targets of these riots strike me as proof that the notion of materialism as a defining factor in how people view themselves is the only thing being expressed in this latest outbreak of violence.

Agree with this bit. These kids have grown with the view that materialism and possessions are the most important things in life and that you can become famous and a celebrity for fucking a footballer. What they've also grown up with is the immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq based on politicians lies and the death and destruction that caused, while Blair and his ilk shrugged and said 'oh well' when the reasons for invasion were revealed as a lie. They've seen the immorality of tax avoidance by the wealthy and the actions of the banks result in their youth clubs and services now being closed. They've seen politicians that benefitted from full student grants and free education end the EMA and raise tuition fees. Even more recently, they've watched how the the media have broken privacy laws with impunity with the alleged help of the police force resulting in the relatives of people who have died having their phones hacked.

These kids are a product of the environment that their 'betters' and political leaders have created and we shouldn't be shocked or dismayed that they choose to reflect their morality too.

The Beeb says there were shenanigans on Coldharbour Lane.. is there anything to loot there? It's been ten years since I lived there so perhaps it has Delis or maybe even Carpet Rights now??

The 'appeals' from politicos, priests and police aren't aimed at the rioters - they're aimed at calming an anxious populace. The rioters, so disenfranchised from the system, couldn't care less about press statements and vague threats. It's definitely showing how dangerous a situation can potentially become when people stop being afraid of police. In this country it means that people have got new tellys, phones and trainers - which highlights the lack of desire to change what's wrong, the fundamental reasons behind the disenfranchising of the young unemployed lost generation, abandoned by the government in the pursuit of dulling the claws of the financial big boys.

Agree with this bit. These kids have grown with the view that materialism and possessions are the most important things in life and that you can become famous and a celebrity for fucking a footballer. What they've also grown up with is the immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq based on politicians lies and the death and destruction that caused, while Blair and his ilk shrugged and said 'oh well' when the reasons for invasion were revealed as a lie. They've seen the immorality of tax avoidance by the wealthy and the actions of the banks result in their youth clubs and services now being closed. They've seen politicians that benefitted from full student grants and free education end the EMA and raise tuition fees. Even more recently, they've watched how the the media have broken privacy laws with impunity with the alleged help of the police force resulting in the relatives of people who have died having their phones hacked.

These kids are a product of the environment that their 'betters' and political leaders have created and we shouldn't be shocked or dismayed that they choose to reflect their morality too.

Bollocks. Its just the subspecies out to grab more shit, while causing maximum destruction all round. Which is just what they do.

Giles..

Back
Top Bottom