Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

It is only now getting spread more round twitter.

@PaulLewis ( a guardian journo who went down last night) has appealed for reliable witnesses for this. Bit odd that no one else is saying it, tbh. You'd think anyone else at the initial protest would be.
Lewis is rapidly becoming my favourite hack.

I certainly don't agree with anyone but the riches home's being burnt down. But I cannot but cheer at the looting of large chain stores.
but looters don't seem to discriminate. Tottenham is not known for it's great high street shopping hence why people headed to the Hale and Wood Green as they have big chain stores. However the high street is badly damaged.

significantly more black and Asian people doing the looting/rioting. ... simple people who have lost the ability to function like humans ... de-evolved into dumb, purposeless cattle and a few predatory wolves. ... lob these creatures some food and shiny things ... they will get uppity when you forget to feed them ... solely dependent like babies.

Bit of a subtext, don't you have?

And no it's not what happens when "instead of giving the man a fishing rod you give him fish and then you stop giving them fish". It's what happens when you take their fishing rods off them and instead let in a great big fucking fish trawler to hoover up all the fish they *were* fishing.

Where do live? I feel a little oppressed of recent and would like to burn down some housing. It would be fun and a symbol of my general mistrust of the government and police allegedly.

Lol. Don't be a complete div. Obviously bad things happen during riots and anti social elements will take advantage and yes innocent working class people may have their homes damaged or destroyed - but so what?

The fact is that violence or the fear of violence is the best way to get the state to pay attention to your gripes, unless you have a boat load of money.
And looting from chainstores is a victimless "crime". If I still lived round there I would do the rounds with a shopping trolley.

I do prefer it when people riot in the centre of London and smash up the West End rather than smash up their own communities. That said, when the police kill people, the eruption of anger is likely to happen in the area of the death and be focused on the police and locality where it happened. It's sad always for those who suffer personally and who are blameless for the situation. The people who lost their homes must be fearful and gutted. I hope not many were robbed whilst the riot was going on.

I do unequivocally support the "mob" when they attempt to gain some vengeance on the police for their murderous actions. I hope the actions spread right across London. If it goes off in Brixton the DogStar is getting it!

The culture of being dependent on benefits has created conditions that, when combined with other factors, has resulted in the scenes we saw last night.

*calculates whether or not to bother, recalls hours of time wasted attempting to socialize libertards and rightwing loons of various stripes with calm rational arguments, realizes it would probably be a waste of effort and far more constructive and rewarding to repeatedly nut a brick wall. Decides to say instead-*

Right you are then .:)

Millwall lost in the last minute to Birmingham City (who we loathed for good reason) and this caused a very tense atmosphere. When people were leaving the ground and were heading towards The Blue, the police put a line of police in full riot gear across the road causing a big panicky crush to develop. This crowd were still on the whole good natured and had many kids on dads shoulders, blokes with their wives and girlfriends etc. Then the police charged the crowd (who had no where to go) and batoned loads of people including kids on dads shoulders etc causing loads of nasty injuries and creating a palpable sense of rage and fury.

This mindless attack by the police on a largely peaceful crowd was the REASON that many people then took their kids and girlfriends home, came back, looted the adjacent scrap yard and pelted the police with the contents repeatedly.

cheers hadn't realised that happened, I was on itk the next day and everyone seemed to think it was just the bushwackers.

And I saw significantly more black and Asian people doing the looting/rioting.

This is what happens when instead of giving the man a fishing rod you give him fish and then you stop giving them fish. These are simple people who have lost the ability to function like humans, they have de-evolved into dumb, purposeless cattle and a few predatory wolves. But we are a rich society and the easiest course of action is to lob these creatures some food and shiny things to keep them out of our sight and we must recognise that they will get uppity when you forget to feed them. They are solely dependent like babies.

Who is this idiot?

Hackney One Carnival been postponed due to "police intelligence", shame really, chance for people to get together a bit, rather than sit indoors afraid of each other.

cheers hadn't realised that happened, I was on itk the next day and everyone seemed to think it was just the bushwackers.

Nah the BW weren't really involved. It was the average sort of fan and hardly anyone masked up, the police followed a policy of "don't nick 'em, stick 'em!" and filmed the proceedings. Loads went to prison for really long stretches.

I do unequivocally support the "mob" when they attempt to gain some vengeance on the police for their murderous actions. I hope the actions spread right across London. If it goes off in Brixton the DogStar is getting it!

Yep the DogStar is definitely a symbol of capitalist police oppression, fuck up the Oxfam shop while you're at it, prick.

Yep the DogStar is definitely a symbol of capitalist police oppression, fuck up the Oxfam shop while you're at it, prick.
The DogStar has been high on the list for years which is why it always gets a doing whenever there is a bit of a rukus. Loads of people hate the place and what it represents.

Anyone got any more information on the numbers of those burnt out of their homes, or on the reports of homes being looted?

Homes being looted just sounds like media bollocks to me. Like the Strangeways prison riot where the media kept reporting that loads of people had been killed.

Homes being looted just sounds like media bollocks to me. Like the Strangeways prison riot where the media kept reporting that loads of people had been killed.

Yeah that was my thought to. But certainly some have been left homeless after last night.

Lol. Don't be a complete div. Obviously bad things happen during riots and anti social elements will take advantage and yes innocent working class people may have their homes damaged or destroyed - but so what?

The fact is that violence or the fear of violence is the best way to get the state to pay attention to your gripes, unless you have a boat load of money.
And looting from chainstores is a victimless "crime". If I still lived round there I would do the rounds with a shopping trolley.
So you would be happy for your home or your families home to be destroyed to get your point across?

So violence is the best way to get the state to pay attention to your gripes - I better go and burn down the houses of my oppressors - I'm starting with men.

I agree. Having said that I remember stories about people being dragged out of their homes in the 1985 riots in Brixton. (it was the posh houses)

So you would be happy for your home or your families home to be destroyed to get your point across?

So violence is the best way to get the state to pay attention to your gripes - I better go and burn down the houses of my oppressors - I'm starting with men.

The first point is just a silly straw man.

The second is just wrong. Peaceful protest rarely if ever causes change to be enacted. Violent rioting has a history of causing great changes to be enacted. Look at Brixton boohoo, the 1981/85 riots caused major changes in policing, and a huge amount of cash to be spent in the area on it's infrastructure.

I remember well a selection process happening in Brixton in 1985 with regard to looting. Some shops were considered to be decent and were left untouched. Others were considered to screw the customer and they got proper turned over. The off licence on Coldharbour lane just past Loughborough Junc was a case in point. They over charged, were rude and got totally looted.

Can you name any?
Quite possibly overly cynical of me but yes, I can. what happened in Cardiff to friends of mine and there was a thread on here titled 'Victor George' but I can't find it (possibly due to moveover?) Vic was arrested at gunpoint in the street for allegedly being in possession of bomb-making equipment (Vic is in fact a somewhat eccentric and completely harmless musician). Their house was raided at the same time at gunpoint; his partner was traumatised and as a consequence suffered PTSD and had to give up her job. Complaints were made to the IPCC who found that there was no case to answer. Technically and within the letter of the law perhaps there was not, but imo the operation was completely botched from beginning to end (yes I know I'm likely to be biased). The police were allegedly acting on 'information received', The bomb-making equipment turned out to be bits of old tape-recorder and a mouldy can of Caribbean soft drink at Vic's recording studio. The officer in charge of the operation has since been found a nice job in the Virgin islands. So please excuse me if I don't have masses of faith in the IPCC.

/derail

I remember well a selection process happening in Brixton in 1985 with regard to looting. Some shops were considered to be decent and were left untouched. Others were considered to screw the customer and they got proper turned over. The off licence on Coldharbour lane just past Loughborough Junc was a case in point. They over charged, were rude and got totally looted.

Jacket Potato place was left untouched but Burtons and Dunnes weren't

Back
Top Bottom