Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kicking Off In Tottenham

I remember well a selection process happening in Brixton in 1985 with regard to looting. Some shops were considered to be decent and were left untouched. Others were considered to screw the customer and they got proper turned over. The off licence on Coldharbour lane just past Loughborough Junc was a case in point. They over charged, were rude and got totally looted.

Didn't the same thing happen with pubs?

The first point is just a silly straw man.

The second is just wrong. Peaceful protest rarely if ever causes change to be enacted. Violent rioting has a history of causing great changes to be enacted. Look at Brixton boohoo, the 1981/85 riots caused major changes in policing, and a huge amount of cash to be spent in the area on it's infrastructure.
I am aware that is is the violent rioting that gets attention and causes change. It doesn't mean that it's great fun to be around. When something kicks off, I don't have a sign to wear saying I'm alright don't touch me. I've never been a fan of violence -- have spent a lot of my childhood with it on my doorstep - sometimes literally. It is a shame that it seems to be the only way for change to happen.

I think it's established beyond any reasonable doubt that the police and their corruption-cronies in the media are always going to tell cynical self-serving lies about cases like the original shooting and the subsequent rioting.

The rioting citizens will no doubt also have some things to say that aren't true, but crucially, they aren't in an ongoing corrupt relationship with the media.

(This corrupt relationship, often strongly suspected, e.g. after Hillsborough, has now been exposed, before parliament no less, and can't be dismissed as "conspiracy theory")

The key difference being that collusion between the cops and media leads to a disparity of power when it comes to whose cynical self-serving lies will stick in the public mind.

made me laugh last night when an eldery caribbean gentlemen moved amongst the throng of people with a coolbox on a shopping trolley, selling drinks for a quid a go. good to see his business sense was being maintained.

I am aware that is is the violent rioting that gets attention and causes change. It doesn't mean that it's great fun to be around. When something kicks off, I don't have a sign to wear saying I'm alright don't touch me. I've never been a fan of violence -- have spent a lot of my childhood with it on my doorstep - sometimes literally. It is a shame that it seems to be the only way for change to happen.

I agree with you. I was scared in the 1985 riots even though I was one of the rioters! The paradox (often discussed in Class war meetings as loads of us were there) was that despite throwing all sorts at the police, I was glad they did not all fuck off and retreat as some on "my side" were nasty evil people who would cause you harm as soon as look at you. The destruction and mess that were caused during that riot was awful and terrible for the people who lived there. This was why a great deal of satisfaction was taken from the 1990 poll tax riot because we (bunch of anarchists) wanted to riot in W1 and smash up the centre of town and this is exactly what we did.

It will be besieged. It will be like 'Fort Apache, the Bronx' but with quality coffee and artisan bread.

I remember in the mini 90s riots, kids running up Brixton Hill, diving into Poison Albert's and running up the road with saveloys :D

I agree with you. I was scared in the 1985 riots even though I was one of the rioters! The paradox (often discussed in Class war meetings as loads of us were there) was that despite throwing all sorts at the police, I was glad they did not all fuck off and retreat as some on "my side" were nasty evil people who would cause you harm as soon as look at you. The destruction and mess that were caused during that riot was awful and terrible for the people who lived there. This was why a great deal of satisfaction was taken from the 1990 poll tax riot because we (bunch of mob-violence loving brick-throwing ochlocrats) wanted to riot in W1 and smash up the centre of town and this is exactly what we did.

Fixed for you.

I agree with you. I was scared in the 1985 riots even though I was one of the rioters! The paradox (often discussed in Class war meetings as loads of us were there) was that despite throwing all sorts at the police, I was glad they did not all fuck off and retreat as some on "my side" were nasty evil people who would cause you harm as soon as look at you. The destruction and mess that were caused during that riot was awful and terrible for the people who lived there. This was why a great deal of satisfaction was taken from the 1990 poll tax riot because we (bunch of anarchists) wanted to riot in W1 and smash up the centre of town and this is exactly what we did.
Yep - would prefer if they took their grievances up the west end. I suppose Brixton and Tottenham are both areas I love for a variety of reasons and I hate to see them end up looking wrecked and their old reputations being dug up and held against them.

Yep - would prefer if they took their grievances up the west end. I suppose Brixton and Tottenham are both areas I love for a variety of reasons and I hate to see them end up looking wrecked and their old reputations being dug up and held against them.

Trying to get a spontanious eruption of anger to move several miles to a better arena is logistically difficult!

I'm in Brixton, pretty central and I've heard no sirens.

From around half two to four AM last night there was a fairly excitable crowd out and about around Angell Town. Not rioting, just a lot of people discussing events in Tottenham rather "enthusiatically". No violence or damage caused, but then the Met have a tendency to call a large group of mostly black people a riot with very little reason.

I remember well a selection process happening in Brixton in 1985 with regard to looting. Some shops were considered to be decent and were left untouched. Others were considered to screw the customer and they got proper turned over. The off licence on Coldharbour lane just past Loughborough Junc was a case in point. They over charged, were rude and got totally looted.

Well that's an improvemnt on 1981, when all shops were fair game, most of that riot was just an excuse for theives and thugs to go on a rampage. Looks as though last nights riots falls into the same category.

Does anyone really criticise the people who looted the likes of Dixons and JD Sports in the retail park?

Trying to get a spontanious eruption of anger to move several miles to a better arena is logistically difficult!

Reminds me of the Bill Hicks sketch about the LA riots saying basically "Now guys next time, go up the highway and attack the rick ok? Could be better than burning your own neighbourhood down".

Back
Top Bottom