Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ken Rockwell is dangerous to photography

Of course it was too easy to skip forward to the part I told you to skip forward to......?
Always good to take time out to get the full context of a story rather than skipping to some preselected part just because someone tells me too.

Skip forward to 39 minutes for the rant:

Here's what Mr. Rockwell wrote:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3300/users-guide/index.htm

12 images? Really?? I can't believe he wrote all that with a straight face!

I noticed somewhere else he claims "ISO" is pronounced "eye ess oh" and not "eye soh", which is wrong; it's "eye soh". And then there are his views on RAW...

It's like he's the Internet's biggest photography troll.

TBF to Rockwell, ISO is pronounced either way, either as an enunciation of the acronym (eye-soh) or as the intitials.
Rockwell isn't the biggest photography troll, btw, but he is one of the most opinionated, which is probably what makes him readable and irritating in equal measure.

Seriously though, the pronunciation of ISO is a pretty vital point that I don't think we've ever discussed.

Clearly it is Eye Ess Oh and anyone who says otherwise is a cunt. (Edit: actually, even in the context of this srs thread I'm not going to add "backwards" there.)

The argument used to be whether the film speed standard was pronounced "arse-ah" or "ay-ess-ay", back in the day. ;)

Always good to take time out to get the full context of a story rather than skipping to some preselected part just because someone tells me too.
There isn't any "full context". It's a discussion programme with a variety of subjects. I directed people to the relevant part. No need to watch anything else, it's not relevant.
TBF to Rockwell, ISO is pronounced either way, either as an enunciation of the acronym (eye-soh) or as the intitials.
Only by people who don't know any better. It's not an acronym:

Our name
Because 'International Organization for Standardization' would have different acronyms in different languages (IOS in English, OIN in French for Organisation internationale de normalisation), our founders decided to give it the short form ISO. ISO is derived from the Greek isos, meaning equal. Whatever the country, whatever the language, the short form of our name is always ISO.

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/about.htm

There isn't any "full context". It's a discussion programme with a variety of subjects. I directed people to the relevant part. No need to watch anything else, it's not relevant.
Who's expressing the personal opinion is ENTIRELY relevant, silly.

Violent Panda I wanted to be cheeky and bring up the old ASA designation but Bungle is too young to know about that. If I remember rightly the original ISO which was pronounced by everyone in photography as Eye Ess Oh in those days contained both the American ASA number and the German DIN number alongside each other. The American system was arithmetical and the German one logarithmic. Old photographers will remember some comparisons between the two systems based on familiar films.

Last edited:
Mind you, there was also more than one version of the DIN standard for rating films.
At some point, when I have saved some money I plan on a Nikon D610 with up to ISO 25600 ...
With a f1.8 lens I should have great low light capabilities .. :)

At some point, when I have saved some money I plan on a Nikon D610 with up to ISO 25600 ...
With a f1.8 lens I should have great low light capabilities .. :)
My Ricoh GR goes up to 25600 ISO. The lens is only f/2.8 though. However I have never needed to use anything higher than ISO 1600 though even in gloomy indoors environments.

My Ricoh GR goes up to 25600 ISO. The lens is only f/2.8 though. However I have never needed to use anything higher than ISO 1600 though even in gloomy indoors environments.
I regularly use ISO 3200 on my GR for concerts. Produces excellent results too.

Violent Panda I wanted to be cheeky and bring up the old ASA designation but Bungle is too young to know about that. If I remember rightly the original ISO which was pronounced by everyone in photography as Eye Ess Oh in those days contained both the American ASA number and the German DIN number alongside each other. The American system was arithmetical and the German one logarithmic. Old photographers will remember some comparisons between the two systems based on familiar films.

Do you remember GOST too, or did you never have the delight of using Soviet films? :D

How can one man be a "danger to photography"? That claim doesn't even make sense.
I followed his advice on cleaning my sensor. Bastard!
ice.jpg

How can one man be a "danger to photography"? That claim doesn't even make sense.
Don't try to understand Bungle, he is a one-off. Possibly he has got the idea from previous threads that everyone on this forum rates Ken Rockwell. I have only read a few things on Rockwell's website and he makes sense generally but he isn't that important surely. He isn't dangerous in any sense.

Edited to add: I have just seen that post above mine. Here is the video from which that picture was taken:

It is fairly incredible, lasts for about 15 minutes and is in French.

Last edited:
Don't try to understand Bungle, he is a one-off. Possibly he has got the idea from previous threads that everyone on this forum rates Ken Rockwell. I have only read a few things on Rockwell's website and he makes sense generally but he isn't that important surely. He isn't dangerous in any sense.
Rockwell has written some really useful stuff and I'm sure he has helped an awful lot of newbie photographers. Doesn't mean he's always right though - in fact I'm sure he gets it very wong at times - but on balance I think I'd rather listen to him that that raging egomaniac in the video clip at the start of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom