Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Keith looks like a slighty shit version of those "tall and dangerous" male characters in period costume dramas

It’s almost like Starmer and his advisers have a list of people that they want to piss off in every interview: remainers, the unions and his own party membership for a start. All of the evidence is that the more ‘the public get to know him’ the more cold they are towards his bland technocrat centralism. This thread is marginally more interesting than the interview itself:

Fuck me he's actually said something I agree with. :eek:

I doubt it will go far enough and the language is a bit messianic but still ...

Britain can rise up after the pandemic by using the creation of the NHS after the Second World War as inspiration, Sir Keir Starmer will say.

The Labour leader will use a speech to tell the British people they "can build a country worthy of the sacrifices" made during the pandemic in the same way a Labour administration "built the welfare state from the rubble of war" after 1945.

Sir Keir will accuse Boris Johnson’s government of having the “wrong priorities for Britain” as he lays out the battle lines for the 2024 election.

He is set to call for families to be "put first" during the latest lockdown, demanding ministers protect epidemic-hit households budgets from council tax hikes and cuts to Universal Credit. Sir Keir will also press for key workers, such as teachers, the armed forces and care workers, to be given pay rises.

Keith's doing no doubt

Yes back into character. :rolleyes:

I didn't understand this bit:

Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, had called on the party to abstain over the bill, arguing that statutory regulation of undercover operatives would have been necessary if the party had been in power, after the government only narrowly won a court case over the issue.

He's saying that we'd have needed laws to prevent abuse only if Labour was in power?? I can't work out whether it's him, or me, or just a mistake in the original which I thought was sloppily written when I first saw it. Otherwise "weaselly" comes to mind.

"Family has always been incredibly important to me..........and it means everything to me now that I have a loving family of my own."

If the rumour I've heard about Starmer from a (trustworthy - but i guess rumour spreading) person who is a regular member at Starmer's CLP, the "family man" angle might be one that comes back to bite him a la John Major and his Back to Basics family shtick.

"Family has always been incredibly important to me..........and it means everything to me now that I have a loving family of my own."

frankly, :hmm:

i don't think he's actually said anything of substance (which doesn't come as a huge surprise) and i would be very happy to be proved wrong, but usually when politicians start talking about 'families' or 'family values' it's usually dog-whistle for homophobia and blaming single mothers for just about everything...

Fuck me he's actually said something I agree with. :eek:

I doubt it will go far enough and the language is a bit messianic but still ...

Tried clicking on it and got something totally different.
You sure it wasn’t one of those spoof stories they use as a placeholder and occasionally accidentally put on the live site?

Might be just my phone being weird...

It’s almost like Starmer and his advisers have a list of people that they want to piss off in every interview: remainers, the unions and his own party membership for a start. All of the evidence is that the more ‘the public get to know him’ the more cold they are towards his bland technocrat centralism. This thread is marginally more interesting than the interview itself:

Was this in the same talk as when he said Johnson’s indecision was costing lives?

Tried clicking on it and got something totally different.
You sure it wasn’t one of those spoof stories they use as a placeholder and occasionally accidentally put on the live site?

Might be just my phone being weird...

It was one of the combination news stories they do - several under one headline. I wondered whether it would change so I made sure I quoted it. Did seem out of character, one of Corbyn's policies while pretending it wasn't.

Funny - I can't see it when I search for the quote under the Guardian - here's a more respected source for the story though:

Back
Top Bottom