Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Can't agree that it's fundamentally about the money at all for them tbh. Starmer was a KC and Sunak some sort of derivates trader - they're both rich men anyway.

It's an ego thing IMO.

Of course it's an ego thing, it always is. You don't become the leader of a major political party unless you've got a massive ego. But in this case I think he's been advised by his PR team that his shadow cabinet are liabilities, he detests Rayner for instance but is stuck with her so this is the strategy. Make it 'Presidential'. It's pretty gross. 34 pics or something of him that doc...? Bonkers.

Ta. I'm curious about the farming policy for some reason
This seems to be all it says, sod all detail if that's it

Supporting British farmers
Labour recognises that food security is national security. That is why we will champion British farming whilst protecting the environment. We will set a target for half of all food purchased across the public sector to be locally produced or certified to higher environmental standards. We will introduce a land-use framework and make environment land management schemes work for farmers and nature. And we will work with farmers and scientists on measures to eradicate Bovine TB, protecting livelihoods, so that we can end the ineffective badger cull

This seems to be all it says, sod all detail if that's it

Supporting British farmers
Labour recognises that food security is national security. That is why we will champion British farming whilst protecting the environment. We will set a target for half of all food purchased across the public sector to be locally produced or certified to higher environmental standards. We will introduce a land-use framework and make environment land management schemes work for farmers and nature. And we will work with farmers and scientists on measures to eradicate Bovine TB, protecting livelihoods, so that we can end the ineffective badger cull

Totally fair, and those 87 words didn't say anything meaningful

Screenshot_2024-06-13-16-35-58-562_com.opera.browser-edit.jpg

He could be on the right path if he sticks to "no tax rises for working people" because that leaves open possibility of rises in capital gains tax, dividends etc.

Be careful about "gotcha" questions. "How many children will you lift from poverty" is a trap: say "I don't know" and you're slated, say "1 million" and that's over your head every day of the rest of your time in office.

A good answer would be "targets are often missed and I'm not here to throw a number at you, my aim is to ensure that child poverty is tackled at every stage of their lives and only through Labour will you get the help you need."

For comparison there were 125 words about the poll tax in the 1987 tory manifesto
Yes thats fair. Ive just looked at the Corbyn 2019 manifesto and the farming sections isn't great there either

its a real lost opportunity (as is everything happening with labour of course)...this is a unique moment where tory-voting labour-sceptic farmers are fed up with the tories and at a moment of pretty seismic change thanks to then end of the CAP post Brexit and the general overdue biodiversity push ... there's a lot of uncertainty and change in the financial base.

My impressions is farmers dont trust Labour at least in part because Labour are seen as out of touch with the issues facing famers....this manifesto doesnt change that.

Be careful about "gotcha" questions. "How many children will you lift from poverty" is a trap: say "I don't know" and you're slated, say "1 million" and that's over your head every day of the rest of your time in office.

A good answer would be "targets are often missed and I'm not here to throw a number at you, my aim is to ensure that child poverty is tackled at every stage of their lives and only through Labour will you get the help you need."
He's told so many lies that one more wouldn't be a surprise

Yes thats fair. Ive just looked at the Corbyn 2019 manifesto and the farming sections isn't great there either

its a real lost opportunity (as is everything happening with labour of course)...this is a unique moment where tory-voting labour-sceptic farmers are fed up with the tories and at a moment of pretty seismic change thanks to then end of the CAP post Brexit and the general overdue biodiversity push ... there's a lot of uncertainty and change in the financial base.

My impressions is farmers dont trust Labour at least in part because Labour are seen as out of touch with the issues facing famers....this manifesto doesnt change that.

I'd say more to the point is that Labour have never really bothered to try to understand or appeal to any voters in rural areas - of which actual farmers are a tiny minority. A little bit of blurb about farming isn't addressing that for sure.

I remember being told, during what I'll call my previous life, that of all politicians, it's Labour MPs who never convince about having "dirt on their wellington boots".

Wonder how he would answer:

Do you want to lift children out of poverty?

Or better still, why are there so many children living in poverty? And who has knowingly created those circumstances for their own gain and how can we bring them to justice?

Back
Top Bottom