Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

I don't have any time for George Galloway, but it's satisfying that he'll now be a major thorn in Starmer's side. From Sky:
'If the Labour leader thinks he gets a hard time now from the SNP's Westminster leader Stephen Flynn and the Corbynite Labour left over the Israel-Hamas ceasefire row, wait until the ferocious Galloway starts tearing into him in the Commons chamber.'
If Galloway can be bothered to turn up.

Starmer's response, which is to learn nothing and to assume Labour's candidate will walk it in a GE, makes me want Galloway to win in the GE, despite him being utterly loathsome.

It's an astonishing ?talent of Starmer's that he's - through arrogance, cynicism, and being massively pro-supporting genocide - even worse.
the centrists and starmerites are whitewashing the voice of the working class. it's a terrible ad hom

He might do so more frequently now I'd guess? And even more so if there is a Labour Govt and he can grill Starmer at PMQs.
Blair’s Labour government proposed that “glorifying terrorism” should be a criminal offence. That would have been a major attack on free speech. A number of science fiction writers produced a collection of short stories called “Glorifying Terrorism” in protest. The patrons of Irish pubs singing “rebel songs” could have been arrested under its provisions.

George Galloway was elected in the General Election of 2005, defeating a sitting Labour MP, under the banner of the Respect party.

Opposing the “war on terror” and attacks on civil liberties in the name of that war was a major part of Galloway’s platform.

The Blair government got the “glorifying terrorism” provision through the House of Commons by one vote. Where was George? George was in Cork city, on stage, at a paid gig called “An Audience with George Galloway”. But he was legally obliged to attend the gig, he said. He could have been sued if he did not turn up on stage, he said.

In his autobiography Galloway claimed to be a friend of Fidel Castro and a member of the Palestinian resistance. I am sure that neither Castor nor Arafat would have let a contract with a theatre prevent them from attending an important event.

I don't have any time for George Galloway, but it's satisfying that he'll now be a major thorn in Starmer's side. From Sky:
'If the Labour leader thinks he gets a hard time now from the SNP's Westminster leader Stephen Flynn and the Corbynite Labour left over the Israel-Hamas ceasefire row, wait until the ferocious Galloway starts tearing into him in the Commons chamber.'
He'll make speeches but tbh he has never been skilled at the parliamentary process - something Starmer is very shrewd with - nor does he have any support in the house...

He'll make speeches but tbh he has never been skilled at the parliamentary process - something Starmer is very shrewd with - nor does he have any support in the house...
One of the many problems with Starmer and his fans like J O'Brien, is that what they see as shrewd and parliamentary victories like last week on the SNP motion, don't play nearly as well with the half watching public. Busy patting themselves on the back like they did with the run up to the 2019 election, with their stalling tactics, no doubt some shrewd parliamentary victories in there as well. I think it was John Harris on one of his 'meet the working class' visits to some post industrial northern town commentary in the Guardian on that special Saturday sitting, that reported whilst the sound on the tv in the working men's club was on mute, the anger that was voiced whenever Starmer approached the podium was obvious to him and hence so was the forthcoming effect of all that second referendum bollocks (think again you thick twats) .
It ensured a massive defeat for Labour, Corbyn the obvious scapegoat, but perhaps that was the plan all along.

One of the many problems with Starmer and his fans like J O'Brien, is that what they see as shrewd and parliamentary victories like last week on the SNP motion, don't play nearly as well with the half watching public. Busy patting themselves on the back like they did with the run up to the 2019 election, with their stalling tactics, no doubt some shrewd parliamentary victories in there as well. I think it was John Harris on one of his 'meet the working class' visits to some post industrial northern town commentary in the Guardian on that special Saturday sitting, that reported whilst the sound on the tv in the working men's club was on mute, the anger that was voiced whenever Starmer approached the podium was obvious to him and hence so was the forthcoming effect of all that second referendum bollocks (think again you thick twats) .
It ensured a massive defeat for Labour, Corbyn the obvious scapegoat, but perhaps that was the plan all along.
The public barely pays attention to the parliamentary process at the level needed to impact their opinion. The lack of significant poll movement speaks volumes...this is a by election with low turnout out, GG won't be leading some insurrection or changing things other than his bank account. As he's done every time he's got elected in the last 20 years.

Yeh shammer doesn't receive half the blame he deserves for labour's performance in 2019

I'm not a fan of Galloway. But what has been forgotten is that people voted for him. And he surprised the pundits by winning by big margin. Starmer puts it down to withdrawing support from Labour candidate. So this loss to Galloway does not really count.

Still it does not explain why all those people in that constituency turned up to vote for him.

It could be that Starmer take on Gaza has really got to people. And its not just a niche interest of the "left"

As I saw at demos on Gaza/ Palestine I attended this issue of Gaza is not about the "left".

Its about a sizeable portion of the electorate being very very angry at the the mainstream parties both not supporting a ceasefire.

Concentrating of Galloway is a distraction.

And what has happened in Gaza has brought to the fore that the Palestinian issue has been sidelined for years.

If anything good will come out of this its that Palestinians rights will be taken seriously.

And Id also hope that people who support Palestinian rights will stop being smeared with being anti Semitic.

In my borough of Lambeth the right of the Labour party run the Labour group and Council. They were big on opposing anti semitism when Corbyn was leader. The same people have just suspended indefinitely the only Jewish Labour Cllr for voting for a Green party motion to full Council for Lambeth to support a ceasefire. The other three Labour Cllrs who voted for the Green Cllrs motion on a ceasefire only got few months suspension. Its not the "left" ,whatever that is, that is the problem imo in real terms.

Starmer got his wish to root out anti semitism. Then when faced with Israel government and IDF mass killing of civilians ended up supporting it. My Labour right run Council are pushing out a left wing Jewish Cllr. Indefinite suspension means come election time you wont be selected to stand. So his career in local government is effectively at an end.

Last edited:
The public barely pays attention to the parliamentary process at the level needed to impact their opinion. The lack of significant poll movement speaks volumes...this is a by election with low turnout out, GG won't be leading some insurrection or changing things other than his bank account. As he's done every time he's got elected in the last 20 years.
Firstly, I made no mention of GG or his future ambitions. To the main point, I said the 'half watching public' and it was you who mentioned Starmer's shrewdness with the parliamentary process.
My point was that it doesn't play half as well as he and his acolytes seem to think. If it moves the dial at all, it will be in the wrong direction for him, or certainly confirming to undecideds what a duplicitous, unprincipled shit he is.

I'm not a fan of Galloway. But what has been forgotten is that people voted for him. And he surprised the pundits by winning by big margin. Starmer puts it down to withdrawing support from Labour candidate. So this loss to Galloway does not really count.

Still it does not explain why all those people in that constituency turned up to vote for him.

It could be that Starmer take on Gaza has really got to people. And its not just a niche interest of the "left"

As I saw at demos on Gaza/ Palestine I attended this issue of Gaza is not about the "left".

Its about a sizeable portion of the electorate being very very angry at the the mainstream parties both not supporting a ceasefire.

Concentrating of Galloway is a distraction.

And what has happened in Gaza has brought to the fore that the Palestinian issue has been sidelined for years.

If anything good will come out of this its that Palestinians rights will be taken seriously.

And Id also hope that people who support Palestinian rights will stop being smeared with being anti Semitic.

In my borough of Lambeth the right of the Labour party run the Labour group and Council. They were big on opposing anti semitism when Corbyn was leader. The same people have just suspended indefinitely the only Jewish Labour Cllr for voting for a Green party motion to full Council for Lambeth to support a ceasefire. The other three Labour Cllrs who voted for the Green Cllrs motion on a ceasefire only got few months suspension. Its not the "left" ,whatever that is, that is the problem imo in real terms.

Starmer got his wish to root out anti semitism. Then when faced with Israel government and IDF mass killing of civilians ended up supporting it. My Labour right run Council are pushing out a left wing Jewish Cllr. Indefinite suspension means come election time you wont be selected to stand. So his career in local government is effectively at an end.

See to me Galloway, Corbyn and that are basically dishonest hippies. It's about finding a niche for them and it's a complete waste of time.

What did you think of Corbyn's policies?
I voted for it and saw it as an important step with all enthusiasm but the man has baggage and led us who voted for him to defeat.

As for the 'nice guy' thing he seems to trade off I don't buy it. Starmer rejected that but has gone too far.

I'm fucked if I'm thanking any of them though.

I voted for it and saw it as an important step with all enthusiasm but the man has baggage and led us who voted for him to defeat.
you don't see the persistent campaign by the right of the labour party and pretty well the whole of the British media to smear him as an antisemite had anything to do with the defeat? Rather than him being solely responsible I mean.
As for the 'nice guy' thing he seems to trade off I don't buy it. Starmer rejected that but has gone to far.
The other complaint about Corbyn is that he's too nice, i.e. weak, because he didn't impose his will on the rest of the party. I don't think Corbyn could win whatever he did.

you don't see the persistent campaign by the right of the labour party and pretty well the whole of the British media to smear him as an antisemite had anything to do with the defeat? Rather than him being solely responsible I mean.

The other complaint about Corbyn is that he's too nice, i.e. weak, because he didn't impose his will on the rest of the party. I don't think Corbyn could win whatever he did.

Well that's how it played out. I don't see him as solely responsible. I think he's a mediocre Westminster operator, amidst a load of jerk off, cautious milquetoast incompetents.

He's not too nice. He's just not credible to 95% of the electorate. And that's his fault not theirs.

Well that's how it played out. I don't see him as solely responsible. I think he's a mediocre Westminster operator, amidst a load of jerk off, cautious milquetoast incompetents.

He's not too nice. He's just not credible to 95% of the electorate. And that's his fault not theirs.
Nah I think he'd have been seen as credible if the right of the labour party and the papers hadn't thrown up a new antisemite accusation every morning for months running up to the election.

What do you think of his policies?

Nah I think he'd have been seen as credible if the right of the labour party and the papers hadn't thrown up a new antisemite accusation every morning for months running up to the election.

What do you think of his policies?
The right of the Labour party and the papers were always going to go for him from day one though. I liked their policies but if you think I owe him thanks or should pine for what might have been then I think it's a waste of time.

Why should I think you owe him thanks or pine for what he might have been? You're just making stuff up. You've thrown a few insults but not really backed them up with examples.

I wasn't really swayed by his personality, it was his policies that appealed to me. Finding the support from labour party members to get those policies back on the agenda was a huge result that was purely down to him. Who else would have done that?

If it hadn't been for the right of the party actively working against him - against the leader of their party mind who had overwhelmingly been chosen by the membership - we'd have had chance to see whether they actually improved things.

He could have tried to crush the right of the party and I wish he had done but that wasn't who he was.

No you didn't insult me at all. Sorry I should have made it clear that I was talking about you insulting Corbyn with no real reasons to back that up.

For example I'm quite happy to insult starmer but if challenged I hope I could list the actions he's taken that lead to my insults. You've just thrown the insults but no examples of why.

I have.

He's shit and was therefore way out of his depth. His record is easy meat to the London establishment/he's a fool. He's a wanker with shit politics and no poltical skills.

Back
Top Bottom