Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

What the fuck is wrong with him?
I do remember when I first heard about Linehan being a bit of transphobe. And I figured it was just that, old guy struggling to comprehend what the youngsters are on about. I was about to give him a "get with the times, grandad" semi-pass because of his body of work.

And then I actually went and read his Xitter feed. Oh holy fuck no. Guy's a fucking lunatic. He's well and truly lost his mind and decided to die on that hill, come what may. It's ruined his marriage, his entire family has disowned him.

But Richard Ayoade and Jonathan Ross both gave a nice quote for his latest book. Wtf? I know that's sort of the done thing in showbiz to support your old mates, but I used to respect those two...

Ross has always been a piece of shit tbf, I remember him making dodgy comments to his women interviewees from very early on, not to mention him and Brand sniggering about that shit they pulled with Andrew Sachs. Ayoade did strike me as a bit more sensible though.
My missus has pointed out that Lazza Fox is RA's brother-in-law and that Fox's sister doesn't fall far from the tree.

I know they don't get on when it comes to you know, the whole racism thing (presumably the recent blackfacing didn't help) but who knows about the rest. I certainly can't imagine he was so clueless about the direction Linehan had gone in that he just popped out a quote without realising.

Ummm wonder how this will be treated

There's a twitter thread - and apparently a threadreaderapp that shows tweets to non twitter people. :thumbs:

Warning: it is extremely nasty

I reckon this says something about his mindset and how he doesn't respect women at all:

Linehan to Anita Sarkeesian - "I didn't support you during gamergate so you could give women's rights away to another group of men."

His so-called support is apparently conditional, and he gets to decide over women what their rights should be about. Creepy control freakery as well as weird unhealthy obsession.

I had forgotten all about this case. It is truly shocking.

Thanks. I'd forgotten about this. Took nine years of this persons life to get an apology.

Starmer was part of that institution.

After I was seriously injured by a police officer, the entire institution closed ranks, attempting to blame and criminalise me, defend its officer, and delay and deny accountability.

Been reading Starmer piece in Sun about refugees and people coming here in boats. I see the logic of what he's doing but then read few Sun articles about his ideas to deal with this.

I'm not posting up Sun links. But easy to Google.

Sun take is that this is better than the "left" but still not enough.

This is the problem with courting the right wing press. Trying to tack to the right slightly whilst trying to drop in more humane take on people trying to come here in boats. What he says isn't going to be enough. And never will be

It's going to piss off the core vote for Labour and going to increase pressure to make further concession to the right.

When next election comes Starmer is going to get much more of this . Will he make further concessions?

I think the Rwanda idea will be dropped by Starmer. It's expensive and not competent government. However what is the criteria for refugees staying here going to be? He's not said anything concrete on that. From what his Sun article says. The devil will be in the details.

So far he's said he will speed up the process of dealing with refugees claims. And do a deal with EU. Which Sun aren't happy with. As this compromises taking our borders back to the hated EU.

My concern is that Starmer "British" values immigration system could fastrack more deportations. But in more "humane" manner than bonkers Tory Rwanda plan. If Starmer feels pressure from the right

Last edited:
From the latest Private Eye:

"Last month in the high court Mr Justice Chamberlain ordered the party to make an interim payment of £90,000 towards the legal costs of Jeremy Corbyn's former chief of staff Karie Murphy and refused it permission to appeal.

The party had blamed Murphy and four other former staffers .. for the leaking of an 851 page report into the handling of complaints about antisemitism in the party. The report said, among other things, that opponents of Corbyn were so consumed with dislike for the leader and his supporters that their behaviour had hindered attempts to tackle the issue.

... There is a growing belief in the party that unless Starmer can be persuaded to turn away from being "laser-focused" on settling old scores, then by the end of 2024 the party could be facing a legal bill of some £4m. Ouch."

Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green. Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks. Same band name. Different band?
Labour Party with Jeremy Corbyn. Labour Party with Keir Starmer. Same party name. Different party?

People complain all the time about being politically homeless, or muse whether they'll actually bother voting because they feel they're not being listened to, all the way from the most ultra pro-trans people through to economic leftists who nevertheless feel deportations to Rwanda might not be the worst idea ever.

The only question Starmer cares about is which tranche is largest, best placed and most likely to act on its complaints. In this case, given his most recent comments, he's clearly decided he'll lose less by pandering to the "gender critical" set. So they win, and he'll happily be throwing trans people under the bus until the maths changes.

(Edit: As a side note, for such people who believe in voting I'd say being willing to put their X in favour of Labour's stances on trade unionism, migration, welfare, protest rights, the environment, tax, nationalisation etc, then drawing the line at it being too wobbly on self-ID, not that it's pro but that it's not anti enough, is pretty damning).
Very late in replying to this, but that same poster has previously made the same argument about how Labour's alienating women for not being Linehan enough, and then got really defensive when questioned about it. Anyway, I don't want to hold up Unison's internal politics as being a shining model of democracy, but, as a considerably larger organisation, and one with a majority female membership, isn't it strange that not a single one of this supposedly massive cohort of lefty gender criticals was able to make it to local government conference?

Is Unison also alienating loads of women on the left with its (more consistent than Labour, for what it's worth) pro-trans stance? Or is this supposedly huge contingent of people being left politically homeless by Labour making some vague pro-LGBT noises not actually as big as certain posters claim?

I think given the scumbags Starmer is up against boring competence would be something to welcome. Most of you will be hoping on election night would be my guess. Not to say I'm sold on him myself at this stage. It's just, we can get rid of one the most evil groups collectively and individually I can remember in this current government. One which is making the country fail on every level except for them and their cronies who benefit. It can't happen soon enough for me. It looks like they are determined to do their worst on the way out too.

Back
Top Bottom