Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Katie Hopkins

Why? Because tweets are like patters of rain, mostly meaningless. A journalist can complain about it but should have more backbone and resilience than to whinge about their entire reputation being at stake.

I agree with you to a certain extent, twitter shite is like the 'nothing but the rain' ( BSG reference) tinkling to us norms BUT, it is increasingly being used for disinformation purposes and political smearing against people that are followed by huge amounts of people.

Although I don't care for Monroe, I do detest Hopkins though, I hope Jack gouges Hopkins a new one.

I agree with you to a certain extent, twitter shite is like the 'nothing but the rain' ( BSG reference) tinkling to us norms BUT, it is increasingly being used for disinformation purposes and political smearing against people that are followed by huge amounts of people.

Although I don't care for Monroe, I do detest Hopkins though, I hope Jack gouges Hopkins a new one.
TWO sausages down Oxford Street!

tbf Hopkins fucked up got called on it and instead of apologising she doubled down on it.
regardless of what you feel about war memorials claiming somebody was ok with vandalising one when they weren't is highly offensive so Hopkins finally gets nailed for something.

Katie Hopkins is the worst by far, but this Jack Monroe is pretty objectionable too, and I don't see much merit in their case.

Don't get that at all. From what I read the other day (but can't find link just now :oops: ), JM's got a pretty damned strong case? Please explain ...

Libel actions are nearly always a bad idea... The way the law works in the UK makes it an expensive and very unpredictable way to wash your linen in public. And as Jack herself admits, she's been through 18 months of Hell... For what? For a misdirected comment from a certified loon that was deleted in a couple of hours? Really?? She has better and more important things to work on... We all do.

So from a legal as well as spiritual viewpoint she should have walked on by, rather than turning a throw-away digital quip aimed at someone else, into front page news. Jack did that, not Katie Hopkins!

The Judgement is quite hilarious, some samples

" Ms Hopkins has sometimes been described in the print media as “rentagob”

"Later on 18 May 2015 the Claimant published the following on Twitter: “BA_DA_BOOM! It lies! It smears! It’s wrong! It panics! It blocks! It’s @KTHopkins everyone!” (With six pictures of a chicken) "

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-con...onroe-v-hopkins-2017-ewhc-433-qb-20170310.pdf

She's been awarded £107,000 costs - which isn't the full amount. That's why Hopkins and her ilk can libel all they like most of the time - most people can't afford to risk that kind of money.

(in fact, if it's only 60% of the costs as David Allen Green suggested, she's still out of pocket by the best part of 50 grand)

Back
Top Bottom