Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kamala Harris' time is up

She seems to be leaning a little heavily into the "Oldie McOldster is too old to be president" angle for somebody who was until very recently insisting that Biden would be fine to stay in the job until he's 86
Was thinking similar, as well as firing out cheap gotcha points which i find off-putting, but then i find plenty of things about the Democrats and US style election campaigning deeply off-putting, so I'm probably the wrong person to comment.

Was thinking similar, as well as firing out cheap gotcha points which i find off-putting, but then i find plenty of things about the Democrats and US style election campaigning deeply off-putting, so I'm probably the wrong person to comment.
Some of the advisors might have suggested to fight fire with fire?

Am not in favour of the ageism at all, but at the same time, the MAGA line of attack has now backfired...

As mentioned above, Obama didn't declare his support for Biden until B had been confirmed as the official Democrat candidate, which Harris still hasn't, so if you really want to make a comparison you should rather be asking "why so quick about it?"
Not looking like anyone else is throwing their hat in the ring. A survey of delegates found a majority were backing harris. So maybe obama thought what the hell.

Maximise impact (might have been a bit lost in initial hoopla), confirm whole party on board?

As mentioned above, Obama didn't declare his support for Biden until B had been confirmed as the official Democrat candidate, which Harris still hasn't, so if you really want to make a comparison you should rather be asking "why so quick about it?"
So, he was playing it safe.

Not looking like anyone else is throwing their hat in the ring. A survey of delegates found a majority were backing harris. So maybe obama thought what the hell.

To be clear, I'm not asking the question.

Barring miracles, it looks like Harris will be the candidate, so no reason why he shouldn't declare his support now.

Its timing.

I think the timing is important, or at least significant.

If he'd given his support too early, it might have looked as if he was trying to influence the party or the process unduly.

But if he'd waited too long after it became clear that Harris will be the candidate, even though it hasn't been officially confirmed, then people like barlimo and the Trump campaign cited above would have the opportunity to continue suggesting that he wasn't endorsing her because he thinks she's a Marxist fraud who can't beat Trump.

It isn't the most important thing, but it is significant, IMO, that he's done it now rather than waiting until the whole selection process is officially over.

Back
Top Bottom