Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

For JSO's next attempt to raise awareness and win people to the cause;
"Throw random shit at a Neolithic monument that has nothing to even tangentially with current climate change*"
"Kicking a dog in the teeth"
"Setting fire to a hospital"
"Using Chicks to knock coconuts off a pole"

Their whole point is disrupt and irritate their way into the conversation.

To remind us that we aren't going to get to just carry on with all the random shit we do.

They're pretty successful at that.

The next step needs to come, but it isn't going to come from JSO. Nor should it.

Oh i seem to have logged into the Daily Mail by mistake judging by the comments.
Oh give over.

One symbol of this country that shouldn't be touched is Stonehenge. Why aren't they tackling oil companies? Why are they threatening family holidays next month, btw? They seem to love disrupting working people rather than politicians.

I’ve literally given no fucks over any of the previous targets this is just a weirdly random one. It’s not even disruptive

Oh give over.

One symbol of this country that shouldn't be touched is Stonehenge. Why aren't they tackling oil companies? Why are they threatening family holidays next month, btw? They seem to love disrupting working people rather than politicians.
it was fucking corn starch - harmless to the environment and especially harmless to a fucking great ancient stone system. Calm the fuck down.

So you want non-disruptive protests - well, the Tory party agree with you here.

Why shouldn't it be touched?
It's an ancient monument. Not a polluter, not a dodgy politician, not a development on a flood plain. It's lasted thousands of years and shouldn't be under threat from a bored student with nothing better to do with their time.

it was fucking corn starch - harmless to the environment and especially harmless to a fucking great ancient stone system. Calm the fuck down.

So you want non-disruptive protests - well, the Tory party agree with you here.
I don't want smug middle class students blocking roads at 6am to disrupt working people who can't afford to a) sit around on the road, or b) turn up to work late.

An ancient monument which is a symbol of the nation is no valid target for damage. Why aren't they tackling the pollutors? The government ministers?

why didn't they "paint" the oil / gas companies' headquarters ?

attacking an ancient monument is pointless.
and will actively prevent people supporting them.

Whilst "we" have to wean our culture off oil [ie carbon dioxide sources] we also need substitute products.
eg oil for lubricants - or should "we" re-start hunting whales for oil ?

No Solstice on a dead planet etc.

Good.

We need these slaps in the face.

Their whole point is disrupt and irritate their way into the conversation.

To remind us that we aren't going to get to just carry on with all the random shit we do.

They're pretty successful at that.

The next step needs to come, but it isn't going to come from JSO. Nor should it.

This is totally the slap in the face I needed. Without this carefully targeted action I wouldn't have thought to cancel my forthcoming private jet flights, abandon my oil sands mining activities, close down my bitcoin farming and AI data centres and while I am at it I will stop bombing countries.

The action is a good metaphor. I'm pretty sure the rocks will give zero fucks and so will the people who actually have the power to make meaningful decisions. By the time it rains it will probably all wash out and there'll be no lasting impact.

It feels like JSO think they had too much residual relevance and looked to PETA for inspiration to solve it.

It's disgusting. What has the Derby got to do with women voting? These suffragettes are just setting women's rights back even further, and bringing it all into disrepute. And the poor horse - what's the horse done to deserve this? They need stringing up is what they need!! .

1718817382503.png

It's disgusting. What has the Derby got to do with women voting? These suffragettes are just setting women's rights back even further, and bringing it all into disrepute. And the poor horse - what's the horse done to deserve this? They need stringing up is what they need!! .

View attachment 429655

The derby:
An event featuring the Prince of Wales horse, the elite of the land responsible for making laws and the cultural (ymmv) elite and rich all with a potential to feedback that here were people willing to die for the cause maybe we should change the law

Stonehenge:
Some rocks people are quite fond of, throw some cornflour at it.

It’s just weirdly pointless, it’s not even symbolic

It's an ancient monument. Not a polluter, not a dodgy politician, not a development on a flood plain. It's lasted thousands of years and shouldn't be under threat from a bored student with nothing better to do with their time.
Was not only re erected relatively recently (in its own context of recent)

I don't want smug middle class students blocking roads at 6am to disrupt working people who can't afford to a) sit around on the road, or b) turn up to work late.

An ancient monument which is a symbol of the nation is no valid target for damage. Why aren't they tackling the pollutors? The government ministers?
You mean “hard-working families”

On another thread here it was stated that politicians shouldn't be attacked with anything harder than milkshakes.

On another thread here it was stated that politicians shouldn't be attacked with anything harder than milkshakes.
I was going to say, recent threads have suggested that U75 doesn't think there will be a revolution, doesn't think politicians should be hit by anything hard, and broadly sits against protesters going after certain historic targets. Quite the stance!

View attachment 429655

This is pointless, ineffective and dilutes the message maybe they should rethink their strategy because all they are managing to do is to alienate people who may be sympathetic <> they deserve to be hung

Besides the suffragettes didn't live in a time when you could film something and broadcast it to the world which restricted their actions to where they would gain huge crowd visibility.

It reminds me of those super pretty ads in the late 80s where everyone had seen the ad and was talking about it but at the end nobody could recall what the brand was or what they were selling. It's PETA style PR, people are talking about the breast milk ice cream/cornflour on Stonehenge and the discussion doesn't get refocussed at any point.

Back
Top Bottom