Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

The sentences are "significantly more severe than previous sentences imposed for this type of offending in the past," Mr Fry notes.

He says he is worried about “the exercise of their rights to freedom of expression and freedom of peaceful assembly and association”.

The letter goes on to say the new Public Order Act which came into force in July "appears to be a direct attack on the right to the freedom of peaceful assembly".

They're also now being arrested under section 7 and roads are being viewed as key infrastructure. Thus has implications for all protesters now.

S7 of the Public Order Act 2023 is about acts "which interferes with the use or operation of any key national infrastructure in England and Wales” and many are kept in custody until their appearance at mags courts (although some are being heard via video link into police cells)

Outrageous. 6 months inside for a 30 minute slow march. What is this country coming to, what next. Hopefully, with the oxygen of publicity it will garner much more support and publicity.
A disproportionate political sentence. Reminds me of that student who got six months for stealing some water bottles in the 2011 riots.

Outrageous. 6 months inside for a 30 minute slow march. What is this country coming to, what next. Hopefully, with the oxygen of publicity it will garner much more support and publicity.
And yet Penny Mordaunt's brother, Edward, get's away with grooming someone he thought was a 14 year old girl.

They don't really do themselves any favours do they? I mean, I'm no snooker fan but this just makes them look absolutely insane. Why?

3500.jpg

Some of these stunts are silly, for sure, but I don't get the impression they care about the public's viewpoint on them or whether they look silly, the point is to make a spectacle with the words "Just Stop Oil" attached. And if they're lucky they then get asked why they're doing it. I do have a certain respect for the complete lack of giving a shit, regardless of whether they're sometimes a bit irritating with it - they show a lot more gumption than most activists in that sense, even if it is based in a bit of a Cult of the Apocalypse vibe.

Agree with most of this. All protests that manage to get attention always have people saying they’re doing it the wrong way but the fact that snooker will be on the front or back pages of most newspapers today shows something.

They're keeping it in the News, which is fair enough, and sufficient justification for their actions.

I totally agree with protesting against the likes of such but he just looks like Mr Methane has had a bad Vindaloo follow through.

80093003-12970211-A_man_is_pictured_pouring_orange_paint_over_a_snooker_table_in_A-a-2_1705426780630.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

On 16 January 2024, Edred Ilmari Heath Whittingham appeared at Sheffield Magistrates' Court charged with criminal damage, and Margaret Reid appeared at the same court charged with attempting to cause criminal damage. They both pleaded not guilty.

Each of them was given unconditional bail until their trial on 10 May 2024.

80093003-12970211-A_man_is_pictured_pouring_orange_paint_over_a_snooker_table_in_A-a-2_1705426780630.jpg

On 16 January 2024, Edred Ilmari Heath Whittingham appeared at Sheffield Magistrates' Court charged with criminal damage, and Margaret Reid appeared at the same court charged with attempting to cause criminal damage. They both pleaded not guilty.

Each of them was given unconditional bail until their trial on 10 May 2024.

Well, I guess tipping orange stuff on green stuff doesn’t really justify remand in custody.

The Met have arrested and charged Greta Thunberg. Greta Thunberg charged with public order offence after London oil protest

Am I being paranoid, or does this have a certain 'targeted' feel about it? Aren't most protesters who aren't being violent arrested, moved and then de-arrested?

17 October 2023: International environmental and climate change activist, Greta Thunberg, together with Greenpeace activists Jeff Rice and Peter Barker and Fossil Free London activists Lars Kebbon and Joshua Unwin are among over two dozen people arrested by Metropolitan Police officers, led by Superintendent Matthew Cox, while protesting at the 2023 Energy Intelligence Forum near the InterContinental Hotel in Mayfair.

Greta Thunberg, Jeff Rice, Peter Barker, Lars Kebbon and Joshua Unwin were then charged with “failing to comply with a condition imposed under section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986”. The Metropolitan Police had demanded protesters move from the road on to the pavement.

76658327-12639153-image-a-33_1697547498029.jpg

76657421-12639153-image-a-12_1697546369313.jpg

76657589-12639153-image-a-15_1697546512178.jpg

76657277-12639153-image-a-1_1697546161516.jpg

2 February 2024: At Westminster Magistrates' Court, District Judge John Law said conditions imposed on protesters (by the Metropolitan Police) were 'so unclear that it is unlawful' which meant 'anyone failing to comply were actually committing no offence'.

District Judge John Law said the protest was 'throughout peaceful, civilised and non-violent' and criticised evidence provided by the prosecution about the location of where the demonstrators should be moved to - saying the only helpful footage he received was 'made by an abseiling protester'.

District Judge John Law added: 'It is quite striking to me that there were no witness statements taken from anyone in the hotel, approximately 1,000 people, or from anyone trying to get in.

'There was no evidence of any vehicles being impeded, no evidence of any interference with emergency services, or any risk to life.'

District Judge John Law dismissed the case against each of Greta Thunberg, Jeff Rice, Peter Barker, Lars Kebbon and Joshua Unwin because there was no case to answer.

80781451-13038541-image-m-74_1706888612906.jpg

She who laughs last laughs longest

20111224082822!Metropolitan_Police_Logo.png

Outside court on the first day of the trial, Greta Thunberg made a statement alongside some of her co-defendants in which she said:

"Even though we are the ones standing here, climate, environmental and human rights activists all over the world are being prosecuted, sometimes convicted, and given... penalties for acting in line with science.

"We must remember who the real enemy is, what are we defending, who our laws are meant to protect."

"History's judgement against those who deliberately destroy and sacrifice... resources at the expense of humanity, at the expense of all those who are suffering the consequences of the environmental and climate crisis... and at the expense of future generations, your own children and grandchildren will not be gentle."

After dismissing the case, District Judge John Law said he would grant defence lawyer Raj Chada’s request for the government to pay his legal fees and Greta Thunberg’s travel costs.

The book of Mormon was and still is puerile shit even after its so called decolonisation update. I left before the end. Interrupting it would have made it 100% more interesting
I enjoyed the dancing and music. Thought it was a fun night out to be honest. Hitler being fellated and the surgical removal of a book of Mormon from one of the character's rectums was a bit extreme but didn't detract from the general artistry of the show.

So did it work?

2006f270-0ef4-11ef-9773-439c762454e2.jpg

(Source: BBC / Oli Constable)

Edred Ilmari Heath (known as "Eddie") Whittingham was found guilty of criminal damage. Margaret Reid was found guilty of attempting to cause criminal damage.

Both of them will be sentenced at Sheffield Magistrates' Court on 10 July 2024.

This is surely going to finally wake people up to the consequences of issuing new gas and oil exploration licences :thumbs:

I suspect that this stunt has ensured that JSO have lost any remaining support they had from the general public. They're due every penalty coming to them.

Back
Top Bottom