Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just got an allotment and have no idea how things work

I cleared a bit more crap like dead grass and brambles today with the scythe and met a few other allotters. However I've realised that the ground is very 'lumpy' and I'm not sure what's underneath it :D
When I cleared my garden after I moved in I found various things buried in it: old broken kitchen drawers, computer circuit boards, paving slabs, batteries, plastic coat hangers, roofing felt, bathroom/kitchen tiles, roof tiles and most worrying a large cylindrical metal object which at first I thought might be a WWII bomb * but turned out to be some sort of large weight.

* My house is near an airfield which was bombed in the war.

campanula whats it like to grow celeriac and potatoes? Have you grown these? Got to admit doomsday prepping is a reason at the back of my mind for wanting this :eek:
You could grow some potatoes right now, Froggy. It is traditional to grow some potatoes in pots, for harvesting at Xmas. People use a compost bag, dustbin, large trug, half-filled with potting mix (anything will do). There are usually specific varieties such as Carlton, which are grown for Xmas potatoes, but I suspect any second early will do. I have not used ordinary spuds for seed potatoes but as an experiment, I would be tempted to try with some Charlotte or try and blag a few second earlies from other plot owners who will be currently harvesting this years crop.

With a good sized container (you need at least 30 litres capacity), fill the first 3rd with soil and place 2-3 potatoes on top of the soil. Top up the container by another 3rd and water generously. After a week or so, the potatoes will sprout and topgrowth will appear. As it does so, add more compost to keep covering the lengthening haulms until eventually, the pot is full. Allow the potatoes to grow away for 8-10 weeks until the foliage starts to go yellow and flowers have finished. Be generous with water and add a little granular fertiliser (spuds are greedy crops). By Xmas, you should be able to tip the container over and harvest your Xmas dinner.

Celeriac is also a reasonably easy crop but will need a lot of water. Last year, I grew celery for the first time (glad I wasn't growing it this year). Had to be on it with continual irrigation. Celeriac is usually sown around March/April.

Seriously, growing home-grown potatoes is an epiphany - the taste and texture of your own potatoes is totally worth the effort involved (and they do require effort...and water). I have never missed a year of growing them.

There are usually specific varieties such as Carlton, which are grown for Xmas potatoes, but I suspect any second early will do. I have not used ordinary spuds for seed potatoes but as an experiment, I would be tempted to try with some Charlotte or try and blag a few second earlies from other plot owners who will be currently harvesting this years crop.
Ime they work fine for spring planting, but using this year's harvest for xmas potatoes you need to stick them in the fridge for a while first or otherwise they just sit in the soil all winter and don't sprout till early spring.

I don't think I have any Charlotte left but I might have some Kestrel.

I am always tempted by this idea (of sowing Xmas potatoes in summer) but (like so many, many other things) have never got around to it. I usually leave some potatoes in the ground for Xmas dinner, but have generally eaten mopst of my potatoes by mid December or so.
Ime they work fine for spring planting, but using this year's harvest for xmas potatoes you need to stick them in the fridge for a while first or otherwise they just sit in the soil all winter and don't sprout till early spring.

I don't think I have any Charlotte left but I might have some Kestrel.
How are they for you, iona ? I have been madly evangelistic about Kestrel (and have a lifelong debt to a certain Gavin offa Allotments4All. Have you ever done Xmas potatoes? Yep, of courseI this years ones would need some vernalisation/stratification or the (plentiful) volunteers would be making a showing...obvious (now you have pointed it out.:thumbs:).

That carpet was buried a foot deep under thick grass and monster nettle roots in places! Probably should've got an archaeologist in to do a survey before we went digging up something that ancient :D The soil underneath seemed relatively free of weed roots when we eventually got down to it though.

Yeah I think I need to take up the carpets before I do anything else tbh. After that I think I'm going to cover what I don't need. I'm only clearing around 1/4 of the plot tbh.

Think the next job will be creating a dead hedge with some of the bundles of grass from that pile. Not as hard work physically and will be quite fun

Think the next job will be creating a dead hedge with some of the bundles of grass from that pile. Not as hard work physically and will be quite fun
Just a thought, you could try and plant potatoes and then build the dead hedge on top of them?

Last edited:
Apparently the plot has been vacant at least 8 years:eek:
So that means there's loads of seeds in the soil i.e every time it rains you'll need to get the hoe out.
But it also means that the soil will be free of chemicals. No weedkiller, dodgy ferts, etc..
I've taken on two abandoned plots in my time and they've done really well the first few years because the soil's been fallow.

I dug up a red ants' nest and ended up being bitten which was a bit annoying, probably a sign to leave the carpet I was trying to get at the time, I'm glad I did tbh because I then found the corner of a much bigger carpet which I think I'll be able to dig up pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom