Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just got an allotment and have no idea how things work

Is the flattened bit yours, or do you have the wilder bits at the sides too?
And are you attempting this all yourself?
The flattened bit is mine (and behind the brambles is also mine, eg about 2/3 of the plot, only 1/3 is something ive been able to do anything about). The bits at the sides are empty, not mine thankfully. Anyone in Oxford wanna have a go :D

One upside of it raining every day this week is the fact the soil around the carpets is suddenly easier to dig out. I should be able to get the big one out by the weekend. The problem is that the soil on top of the carpet is pretty good so im hoping I can keep most of it.

My main memory of my time as an allotment holder is of digging up bits of rancid carpet. Never managed to grow much beyond broad beans and Jerusalem artichokes, which were already growing feral when I got the allotment and which I never actually attempted to eat.

Not sure what to do with all the soil etc once the carpets are up.

I'd take a sample of the soil and get it analyzed. Then you can find out what to add to the soil to make it compatible for planting.

By adding the supplements this autumn should make it good for planting in the spring.

Good job about getting rid of the carpets - I probably would have quit...

What kind of soil should I put on the potatoes to earth them up? I'd like to get soil from elsewhere in the allotment but I'm a bit scared of getting weeds in there

What kind of soil should I put on the potatoes to earth them up? I'd like to get soil from elsewhere in the allotment but I'm a bit scared of getting weeds in there

Potatoes are tough - they should be fine with the allotment soil. I'm horrible with gardening, so I know a few weeds will not stunt them.

Can you buy a bag of top soil? I know where to get it here, but not over there.

I've found broad beans to be good planted around October for harvesting in May they dont seem to be attacked by wildlife too much.

Back
Top Bottom