Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I think I have just retired

Retirement that you hadn't planned for and weren't checking the days off on a calendar must be very scary, especially while you are trying to get all your finances in place wrt pensions and whatever benefits you might be entitled to.

I hope it all goes well for you, and that once the shock wears off you will be able to get sorted and look on this new phase of your life with happiness and embrace some of the freedom that comes with retirement.

If you are in London and want to do any environmental volunteering (no rush, just if you fancy it any time) then just ask - as well as doing my own volunteering in East London, I'm part of a London-wide network (London National Park City Rangers!) and might be able to point you towards something local to you.
It all happened quite suddenly in the end. I think I’ve been in denial for a long time and not facing up to how shit things had become.

No idea how it’s going to pan out - got a lot to sort out and come to terms with.

It used to be 60 for women!
Yes I was hearing the phrase 'early retirement' but then I thought for most of our lives we were expected to retire at 60. So I'm trying to get my head around it not being early at all.

My official retirement age wont be until I'm 67. Till then I'm just 'unemployed' or 'economically inactive' which has taken some getting used to, not helped by reading that politicians call us shirkers and idle. Well they can go shove their economic activity. Give us a break!

I suspect it is easier, or clearer, for people who are in a relationship, but I live alone and currently struggle to motivate myself to get up in the mornings.

get a cat?

There is no Snooze Button. On a Cat That Wants Breakfast.

:p

Actually I'm hungry so getting up now.

I try to sign up to classes and events so that I have a reason to get up and get out regularly.

Mysocial in lambeth do some good social / exercise things (I do online exercise group on Mondays and 5 rhymns dance today) meetings are cheap or free and you don't have to live in the borough to join.

Also Goldster and Restless do some classes and online meets (some are free I think) if you don't feel like going out. Kept me going through lockdown.

Actually I'm hungry so getting up now.

I try to sign up to classes and events so that I have a reason to get up and get out regularly.

Mysocial in lambeth do some good social / exercise things (I do online exercise group on Mondays and 5 rhymns dance today) meetings are cheap or free and you don't have to live in the borough to join.

Also Goldster and Restless do some classes and online meets (some are free I think) if you don't feel like going out. Kept me going through lockdown.
I’m looking at U3A, but my local one doesn’t look terribly inspiring. I’ll probably still join it, but not yet.

I suspect it is easier, or clearer, for people who are in a relationship, but I live alone and currently struggle to motivate myself to get up in the mornings.
2 ex single colleagues retired a few years back and they have done nothing. They have really declined.
I could easily slip in to the do nothing thing for a while but doubt I could get going again.
I think I might have to slip into a part time job when I retire for the money, for the routine and I think it would be good for me. It will certainly be easier than the shifts I currently work.

Unfortunately not. But I will soon. It’s 66 for me.
I was a victim of Camerons austerity. Had a mild heart attack September 2013, returned to work as civil servant late November13, pensioned off within a week aged 55 with 35 years service behind me.. Fortunately, an old friend runs a small business and needed some part time help around the office. Now fully retired, though won't get state pension until next year.

Enjoy your retirement.

Sorry to read that you are unwell just now.

The only advice I can give is to remember to look after yourself.

I found this an interesting view. I watched this just prior to leaving work. (am going to boycott the word retirement from now on)
The Ted talk mostly said what I already knew and it speaks to someone with financial means but his thoughts on the psychological aspects of leaving work, are interesting.
Good luck
PS I think I am still mostly in phase 1 but with hints of phase 2 but looking forward to 3.

I found this an interesting view. I watched this just prior to leaving work. (am going to boycott the word retirement from now on)
The Ted talk mostly said what I already knew and it speaks to someone with financial means but his thoughts on the psychological aspects of leaving work, are interesting.
Good luck
PS I think I am still mostly in phase 1 but with hints of phase 2 but looking forward to 3.

That was interesting.
Not sure phase one applies to those of us who find retirement/ unemployment thrust upon then.

MH turbulence and major life changes often leave us with a sense we should have The Roadmap from wherever we are to THE place that we should know about and be gunning for.

That’s all bollocks.

DrWhyLikeThis recommends letting the dust settle and allowing the good ship Guineveretoo wright itself. You don’t need a plan right now, just self care.

Good luck

Saw this shortly after I retired, which is coming up to 20 months ago now

I'm still mainly in the holiday mode setting

Given that I absolutely hated and detested my last 5 years of work, and don't miss a single person I worked with (now), and my work role had no real position of "power" associated with it, I don't really relate to any of the 5Ds he's banging on about

The trying different things? Kinda, maybe, a bit

I've also gone straight to a bit of volunteering at a charity and the extra time has enabled me to help a few neighbours out with a bit of fetching and carrying

I've still go a routine which I have to follow as it revolves around medicating a cat, and that then leads into the most important meal of the day...breakfast

Gym a couple of time a week, but I regards that as being more akin to a dentist visit on the enjoyment scale

So I'm happy in the holiday mode for the time being

Shame it doesn't summarize the four stages on a slide for those of us retirees too busy watching the football to watch the video. I see Stage 4 is "only about 50 to 60% of retirees break through to Phase Four. Not everyone gets there. But those who are able to break through to Phase Four are some of the happiest, most productive, satisfied, and gratified people t I have ever met. Phase Four is when we rewire and find something new that really, really hits us and that we just squeeze all the juice out.”"

Ive accidentally sort of retired. My ancient parents have required so much looking after in the last few years that there is a load of time juggling to fit in any work. The main thing I do is enough to just about pay a little and do the all important NI conts.

The state pension I will eventually get aint gonna be luxurious

Back
Top Bottom