Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just got an allotment and have no idea how things work

August is too late to sow potatoes. March to may in the UK. Harvest maincrops August/September. You're just feeding the slugs this time of year.

A lot of people do 'christmas potatoes' tho.

Indoors. And I think most people that try for Xmas potatoes fail.

Hold on - sorry for the slight thread derail here - would it be technically possible for me to grow a potato plant or two indoors in something like builders' rubble buckets? Not for Xmas necessarily (I know whatever it is too late for this one regardless), just as a general thing during their growing season.

Hold on - sorry for the slight thread derail here - would it be technically possible for me to grow a potato plant or two indoors in something like builders' rubble buckets? Not for Xmas necessarily (I know whatever it is too late for this one regardless), just as a general thing during their growing season.
Yes. That's pretty much the Xmas potato thing. Spud in bucket/sack, keep adding more soil each time shoots appear. After 16 weeks, dig up and hopefully eat. The trick is keeping the temperature warm enough to grow but not so warm as to get blight.

Yes. That's pretty much the Xmas potato thing. Spud in bucket/sack, keep adding more soil each time shoots appear. After 16 weeks, dig up and hopefully eat. The trick is keeping the temperature warm enough to grow but not so warm as to get blight.

So probably a bit too warm in summer and a bit too cold in winter (not putting the heating on for spuds!) then, but autumn/spring thing maybe.
Will give it a go next year.
Thanks for the idea!

I've seen people on YouTube in Wales growing them outside! If it's on YouTube it must be true obviously lol

Yeah exactly!

I tend to think about these things, if it doesn't work, you've not really lost much except a bit of effort and a few spuds (and you were putting in effort digging up that wasteland of an abandoned allotment to get it ready for next year anyway), if you get spuds this year then fucking brilliant :) If we get a really harsh November then it may not work out, but you can't control the weather.

And the Hutton criteria for blight is two days at minimum 10°C (plus humidity) so really not sure what you're talking about here tbh!

And the Hutton criteria for blight is two days at minimum 10°C (plus humidity) so really not sure what you're talking about here tbh!

Ah, does that mean I'd be likely to get blight with a couple of rubble buckets in my spare room?
Trying to turn it into a bit of a garden since not using it for anything else :D

I tend to think about these things, if it doesn't work, you've not really lost much except a bit of effort and a few spuds (and you were putting in effort digging up that wasteland of an abandoned allotment to get it ready for next year anyway), if you get spuds this year then fucking brilliant :) If we get a really harsh November then it may not work out, but you can't control the weather.
This, exactly. I've tried it twice, when I didn't grow other stuff in autumn. Spuds don't grow much below 15 degrees and stop completely at 10, and in Derbyshire that's mid-October onwards. So I failed twice and now have cicoria, spinach, alliums, etc queuing up for space so I no longer bother with spuds in autumn.

But for the sake of a couple of spare seed potatoes there's no harm trying.

I'm growing them outside, I guess it will be less chance of blight? Some other people on the allotment are also growing them about now.

I'm growing them outside, I guess it will be less chance of blight? Some other people on the allotment are also growing them about now.
Just leave them ,when the temp falls mulch them up more .You've got something nibbling the leaves which I'd be more bothered about at the moment .Most of this is trial and error tbh so just experiment .

Just checked on the potatoes, there are a few down there but really tiny and I pulled one of the plants up by mistake :(

Apparently rabbits don't eat garlic? But I don't know what else it could have been. The tops of the plants have been chewed off and some have been knocked over.

Birds? I always net my garlic to start with because otherwise the fuckers dig it up before it's even started.

I've bought some cheap cedar boards to use around my veg beds. Any suggestions as to what I should use to help preserve them? I was thinking a mixture of Stockholm tar and linseed oil but I see there are some wood preservatives on Amazon claiming to be ecologically friendly.

Back
Top Bottom