Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just got an allotment and have no idea how things work

Is it too late to grow turnips? Probably not practical because the soil is cooked :D

I'm looking at scythes online, reminds me of the grim reaper :D

From the perspective of someone who does a lot of digging, I can't recommend enough, a long handled fencing or rabbiting spade. The heads are smaller than a traditional border spade but you can send them deeper into the ground much easier and the long steel handle offers much better leverage. I completely abuse mine for landscaping and I haven't managed to break one yet. I'd never go back to a border spade.

Oh yes, jontz01 - Bulldog have a storming range of spades for trenching, fencing, pipe-laying and such. I have a traditional fencing spade, a really bizarre one with a 2inch cutting edge, going up to 3 inches at the shoulder, with a deep 9inch spit. I have no idea what it is called or meant to do but I use it all the time, levering out roots from teeny spaces. I also have one with a tiny 4.5inch square blade and a long straight handle, 2 with gently rounded cutting edge (one has a longer blade)...
I don't use a border spade either (although I do use a fork).

Yes! I've got one of those in NZ, it's my everyday workhorse spade for planting trees etc etc. One thing I'm really missing here in the UK is a long handled flat pan shovel. I'm struggling with the builders style regular handle 'back breaker'. I use my leg as fulcrum with a long handled shovel, it takes all the effort out of moving a big pile of whatever, I totally need to invest in one... I love moving bulk material and digging holes.

I'd love a good productive plot but just don't have the time. We have a lot of fruit trees around our property in NZ, I've invested quite a bit into them as they're relatively low maintenance.

Just had a look with my mum and she reckons it's too overgrown to do anything with :( is it worth looking around at other sites just in case?

Just had a look with my mum and she reckons it's too overgrown to do anything with :( is it worth looking around at other sites just in case?
I can't imagine anything overgrown would put me off. On the contrary: if it was barren and dry that would be the only thing to deter me.

No harm looking around, but also maybe put some thought into how you could work it, and maybe talk to the secretary about how long they expect it to take you to get it how you want...?

We’ve just taken on a second allotment which seemed pretty badly overgrown but only took (2 of us) a few half days to get under control. mostly building a compost bin (out of pallets from a nearby building site) pulling up weeds And the satisfying job of pulling up large amounts of bindweed which you can wind round your hands like a massive ball of wool. We left a few fruit bushes to deal with later and took a carload of old wood/plastic shit to the tip. dig one small bed to put some winter brassicas and leeks in but will sit on the rest til spring and decide how to lay it out.
not as bad as it looks once you start pulling stuff up!

It seems pretty odd that while there's always a massive waiting list for allotments, when people finally get to the front of the list they're given plots that clearly haven't been cultivated for many years.
I have had a job that included managing a number of allotment sites. It was a total pain in the arse, lots of admin and squabbling amongst tenants, and basically the lowest priority thing I had to work on. I suspect that's common. You do an annual inspection, try to turf off the people not cultivating, they pretty much always appeal and do the absolute bare minimum to keep the plot, only for it to be twice as bad the next year.

I have had a job that included managing a number of allotment sites. It was a total pain in the arse, lots of admin and squabbling amongst tenants, and basically the lowest priority thing I had to work on. I suspect that's common. You do an annual inspection, try to turf off the people not cultivating, they pretty much always appeal and do the absolute bare minimum to keep the plot, only for it to be twice as bad the next year.

This - the guy I shared half my plot with did a bit of weeding every April/May then left it for at least 3 years. Each time getting chased by the plot management first.

He had the gall to be annoyed I took 3 feet away from his desolation to take half the plot as agreed with the plot holders. Suspect the fucker stole my fork as well.

Is it too late to grow turnips? Probably not practical because the soil is cooked :D
Still time if you get them in quickly. The leaves are good for green veg in early spring, even if the roots don't do brilliantly. You can still sow chard now too, and winter lettuce once it's cooled down a bit. Some varieties of broad bean, peas and garlic can be sown/planted in autumn, which sounds like ages away from now but it'll come round before you know it. Late autumn into winter is the best time to plant bushes and trees (e.g. for fruit) too.

I'm always happy to post seeds out to anyone if I have spare of whatever they want (I usually do, I have ridiculous amounts of seeds coz I either save my own or buy cheap bulk packs for work)

It's not a good strategy long term coz things will just grow back, but if you have a load of weeds that are just about to set seed, chopping them all down to ground level can work as a quick fix before you get round to digging them out (or spraying, if you go that route). It can make an overgrown plot seem a bit less intimidating too when you're just getting started!

Get to know the other plot holders too (especially your neighbours if it's a bigger site). As well as being good for advice there'll often be someone who has spare seedlings or surplus produce, or is happy to let you borrow their rotavator or do a bit of watering if you go away at some point.

The only thing is the area is not great for security and apparently things are often being nicked, I'd be worried walking back at night for instance. However I'm guessing not much late night growing is really going to happen at the moment:D

Is anyone in the Oxford area who would be able to come and have a look at it with me/maybe give me a hand with getting rid of some of the dead grass etc in the next few weeks?

Last edited:
Afraid not but if you take pics we can suggest ideas.

Really your best to do following;

A) measure it
B) draw out a rough plan of what you have and what to do where.
C) check if there’s any salvageable materials keep them otherwise scrap them
D) chop it all down if you don’t want to keep it - trim down any excess brambles - keep a runner for next years crop but the rest will grow back
E) cover cover cover everything with light proof material - don’t use carpet
F) if there’s anywhere you can grow this year feel free but it’s ok to spend the time slowly just doing the above.
G) plan what your doing next year and when. If you’ve got a greenhouse or shed to start crops in that’ll make a difference as you can start seedlings there as well.

I've ordered a scythe, I couldn't see much growing other than weeds and dead grass so maybe just best to rip it up. I am worried about disturbing creatures but then again I'm not the most efficient gardener:D

Reactions: tim
Is anyone in the Oxford area who would be able to come and have a look at it with me/maybe give me a hand with getting rid of some of the dead grass etc in the next few weeks?
I'm not Oxford area but happy to come up for a day if you're somewhere I can get to by public transport? I was actually gonna offer anyway but wasn't sure if PMing you out of the blue would be weird :D

I do count two trains, a bus that only runs once an hour and then a thirty minute walk as "accessible by public transport" btw lol

I'm not Oxford area but happy to come up for a day if you're somewhere I can get to by public transport? I was actually gonna offer anyway but wasn't sure if PMing you out of the blue would be weird :D
Nice yeah my actual house is and it's about half hour walk from the house.

My partner recently got an allotment in a similar state and is well on the way to growing stuff now. What he's done, is strim the hell out of it and marked out a series of beds. Two of these he's weeded and dug over but for the majority he's trying out the 'no dig' method - basically just covering the beds with cardboard and a thick layer of compost / vegetation/ manure on top. Theory goes these should be ready to plant in next year without loads of back breaking work. Would definitely recommend looking up the no dig method as it's supposed to be a lot better for the soil.

My partner recently got an allotment in a similar state and is well on the way to growing stuff now. What he's done, is strim the hell out of it and marked out a series of beds. Two of these he's weeded and dug over but for the majority he's trying out the 'no dig' method - basically just covering the beds with cardboard and a thick layer of compost / vegetation/ manure on top. Theory goes these should be ready to plant in next year without loads of back breaking work. Would definitely recommend looking up the no dig method as it's supposed to be a lot better for the soil.
Its a very useful method but its not going to get rid of things like the last photo tbh.

I found an old carpet (that the site manager specifically said wasn't allowed lol) managed to get one of the other allotters to help me move it and we eventually did, the soil underneath was completely bare! So I just covered the soil up again with the carpet hopefully nobody will have a go about it :D

Back
Top Bottom