Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Job ads that say, "Are you passionate about...?"

I've read job advertisements that have so much passion to get people to apply, they actually write they "get shit done" at the company and expect the job seeker to be on that level of / share the top motivation. They don't want any one to cock it up... they want someone to come in, get accomplished (and get tons of shit done, safely and quickly, and enjoy it). Then you get going - go home, go wherever after work. Come back start again the next day. Have fun at the job.. only by doing it right and getting it done. Other postings have not gone the level of saying (in multiple paragraphs) they get shit done, and shit done right, but they are on a similar level of trying to make the job sound so spectacular, that they're just posting for giggles... because the place is actually full up with swell candidates and someone just got bored... So it sounds. Why else would you want to be there? Doesn't everyone like to get shit done? :confused::hmm:

My dumpster fire of a work situation... makes my department so enthusiastic to be there, that one dude goes home and burns himself every night "while cooking", one dude can't make it home without stopping at the bar (which never happened prior to working in the department), and I start fights with other people I work with and work for. All because we three are over stressed passionate in what we do. And the two are threatening on quitting within the next month while I look for work myself before I walk out as well.

A job posting I stumbled upon this morning, was using "initiative" first and passion later on, under skills. Also another "get shit done" company...

The most important character trait we're looking for is INITIATIVE. A desire to make videos has to be sizzling in your blood. The only way to scratch that colossal itch you feel inside is to create explosive work that will transcend you and speak to the masses. The ideal applicant is ambitious enough to be a one-man/woman show. He/she desires a high level of autonomy, willing to pack up a camera and film an entire campaign solo. He/she can write, shoot, direct, edit, and deliver the value of the work to an intelligent business owner. He/she never whines about needing a gaffer or key grip, instead utilizing creative ideas to bypass obstacles and get projects DONE.
Videographer SKILLS:
• Passion for brilliant creative work, taking ownership
• Self-starter (if you ask for directions to TPG for your interview instead of Googling the address, you won't be off to a good start)
• Punctuality (getting in a head-on collision is a legitimate excuse, as is your child being hospitalized—otherwise get to work early and prove you truly do care)
• Knowledge of various types of video/audio formats (BONUS: YouTube, TicTok & video metadata used for SEO)
• Meticulous and detail-oriented (you don't need to be reminded of anything—you're so organized you go out of your way to finish projects—downtime should NOT exist here)
• Time management skills (if there's nothing on deck, you go out of your way to make something cool, like take arresting photos that improve our website or even carry out the trash when the janitor is gone—be a leader)
• Quick learner (training wheels are for kids, it's all baptism by fire)
• Professionalism in a business casual environment
• Desire to grow to increasing levels of autonomy and responsibility
• Able to work under pressure
• Passion for brilliant creative work, taking ownership (mentioned twice for a reason) Videographer BENNIES:
• The centerpiece of the “benefits package” is the ability to increase your skills and pay above all else. You can love your job - ultimately pay is why we go to work. Videographer Compensation: At TPG pay is based on demonstrated ability to help grow the business by delivering a return on investment to our clients.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE do not matter, only the ability to do the job.
Apply already to find out if there's a fit for YOU!

I put the advertisement under spoilers because probably no one wants to read everything at once. Sorry if I misused the block, I didn't want to just have the link to the job vacancy and have people say the link was not clickable (here is the link).

A job posting I stumbled upon this morning, was using "initiative" first and passion later on, under skills. Also another "get shit done" company...

The most important character trait we're looking for is INITIATIVE. A desire to make videos has to be sizzling in your blood. The only way to scratch that colossal itch you feel inside is to create explosive work that will transcend you and speak to the masses. The ideal applicant is ambitious enough to be a one-man/woman show. He/she desires a high level of autonomy, willing to pack up a camera and film an entire campaign solo. He/she can write, shoot, direct, edit, and deliver the value of the work to an intelligent business owner. He/she never whines about needing a gaffer or key grip, instead utilizing creative ideas to bypass obstacles and get projects DONE.
Videographer SKILLS:
• Passion for brilliant creative work, taking ownership
• Self-starter (if you ask for directions to TPG for your interview instead of Googling the address, you won't be off to a good start)
• Punctuality (getting in a head-on collision is a legitimate excuse, as is your child being hospitalized—otherwise get to work early and prove you truly do care)
• Knowledge of various types of video/audio formats (BONUS: YouTube, TicTok & video metadata used for SEO)
• Meticulous and detail-oriented (you don't need to be reminded of anything—you're so organized you go out of your way to finish projects—downtime should NOT exist here)
• Time management skills (if there's nothing on deck, you go out of your way to make something cool, like take arresting photos that improve our website or even carry out the trash when the janitor is gone—be a leader)
• Quick learner (training wheels are for kids, it's all baptism by fire)
• Professionalism in a business casual environment
• Desire to grow to increasing levels of autonomy and responsibility
• Able to work under pressure
• Passion for brilliant creative work, taking ownership (mentioned twice for a reason) Videographer BENNIES:
• The centerpiece of the “benefits package” is the ability to increase your skills and pay above all else. You can love your job - ultimately pay is why we go to work. Videographer Compensation: At TPG pay is based on demonstrated ability to help grow the business by delivering a return on investment to our clients.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE do not matter, only the ability to do the job.
Apply already to find out if there's a fit for YOU!

I put the advertisement under spoilers because probably no one wants to read everything at once. Sorry if I misused the block, I didn't want to just have the link to the job vacancy and have people say the link was not clickable (here is the link).
A self-starter is someone who can find their own way to the office?! :eek::D

A self-starter is someone who can find their own way to the office?! :eek::D

Considering I've been on interviews where the address on [enter various map sites here] brings you to dead ends / middle of intersections where the number really doesn't exist (or it's a street light) / and other problems. I remember in the early days of my using Mapquest, it would bring me to areas that didn't seem to have a building - a dilapidated parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Trying to do satellite imagery now, you can see the general location, but it's still hard to figure out which end of the street is really the closest to get to the place you want to be, if there are multiple roads (various intersections, etc).

Mapping is your friend, research is your friend, but sometimes it does pay to ask for directions. I've searched legitimate businesses to find that even the unit number they provide on their website is bogus.

Left school. My older brother offered me a fun but dead-end job so gathered no marketable experience and no useable references, so "Yeah, my brother says I'm good." sounds SO plausible. Spent 15 years wasting my time doing that then just joined temp agency after temp agency typing numbers in all day every day. I never escaped the "no experience/no job" cycle.

Reactions: Sue
A lifetime of jobs not careers/callings. I never was any good at playing the enthusiasm game. Did 20 years in a big corporation doing the tedious and unglamorous work. Saw dozens of people join after me, play the game and go far. Sometimes that bothered me, but I couldn't fake it.

Helen Back - That's a rough situation. Great to work for family for a while but it leaving you with little room for growth in other areas is sad. I'm sorry you didn't have opportunity to find work you love to do (in sticking with the theme of this thread... "passionate" about). I wish temp agencies were better - like, you can tell them what your skills are and what your wish list is for placements, and they'd be able to find you an X amount of time in a business you'd like to be in. While we all can't say "I want to work for [enter top big brand here]", at least we can gain traction towards that ultimate goal.

Idaho - I'm in the same arena as you. Lifetime of jobs and no careers/callings. Can't fake playing the enthusiasm game some days, seeing people bs their way to the top. I totally understand your comment... I've been there too.

Winot - LOL at that tweet! It's sad but true...

That's like when they ask you in the interview: "why do you want to work here?" and instead of saying the truth (er because I need money), you say "oh, I have a friend who worked here and she said it was such a wonderful place to work" :rolleyes: Just play the game
I just assume they mean "why would you want to work here as opposed to somewhere else" Or "what brought you to this interview situation that you are in today". Obviously it would be daft to answer it in general work terms.

abe11825 that job advert is basically saying 'we expect you to do everything but don't expect any support or training. Count yourself lucky we design to pay you anything'.

Hard pass.

There is a culture of enthusiasm at my work. We are expected to Yammer about how fab work is and go team this and that.

It’s hard not to look like someone spat sick in my mouth.

There is a culture of enthusiasm at my work. We are expected to Yammer about how fab work is and go team this and that.

It’s hard not to look like someone spat sick in my mouth.
I was constantly told that I was too cynical. My reposte was that they were the cynical ones - playing along with what they completely knew to be bullshit in order to curry favour.

Back
Top Bottom