Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

More musical news!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I lasted about 10 seconds of that. Seems a good way to convince everyone that Corbyn-mania is a weird kind of cult. Well-intentioned I'm sure but made by someone totally in their own world.
Some things are so shit they end up being good. This isn't one of them.

Sir Gerald howarth got stung by chris Morris

Gerald Howarth is a G-dbotherer and hard-right goat-fucker. He never progressed to Cabinet rank (just as far as being a junior minster) because although Thatcher and Major loved him, he was such a fucking bigot that he kept shitting on his own prospects.

the internet of things is a great idea till you realise how easy some people find it to fuck about with other peoples connected machinery. Also yes, that does sound like modern mason who I swear used to be better than he is now with his cyberchat balls, didn't he used to be a bit more grounded?

Puzzling. Sounds more like something a Blairite might say, given that most of the people who could benefit from chasing hitech waves are probably already doing ok.

I guess they could be trying to appeal to educated, endebted and opportunity-less young people, but it doesn't seem to be terribly relevant to the Sun-reading public.

The context seems to be a broader attempt at industrial policy:
“In 1963, Harold Wilson famously said if the country was to prosper, a ‘New Britain’ would need to be forged in the white heat of a scientific revolution. More than 50 years later. we now face the task of creating a New Britain not just out of Brexit and a new relationship with Europe but from the challenge of the fourth industrial revolution – powered by the internet of things and big data to develop cyber physical systems and smart factories.

“Labour wants to engage with business and the workforce at all levels to design an industrial strategy that meets the needs of 21st century Britain. That isn’t about picking winners, or pouring good money after bad into white-elephants. Instead we will set the missions, put in place the right institutional framework and support and provide businesses with the opportunities to develop our economy. Provided of course, that businesses live up to their side of the deal – on wages, on workers’ rights, on paying taxes. We want our relationship with business to be a partnership: Labour’s new settlement for business.”
Corbyn tell business leaders: We’ll use the state to power a new industrial revolution | LabourList

The biggest problem I see with this stuff is that IoT, cyber physical systems etc right now are more about chasing investor trends than producing anything terribly useful.

Last edited:
It was going OK up to and including 'big data' but then the last bit is total bollocks. At least IOT and big data are actual things. Cyber physical systems? What?

It does make a kind of sense in this context, because it's a way of linking all of the less sexy engineering disciplines, especially mechanical engineering, with computing and especially with AI. So it's conceivably something to reinvigorate the UK's industrial base.

I'm just not convinced sentient garden gnomes are the way to take voters off UKIP ...

Back
Top Bottom