Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Jeremy Corbyn is 'out of touch' and an 'election loser' among working class voters, poll finds
Poll for The Independent shows a major disconnect between traditional Labour voters and new Corbyn supporters

The poll that shows what the working classes really think of Jeremy Corbyn

Another great poll finding - "after over a year of the media calling Corbyn 'out of touch' and an 'election loser'" people think he's 'out of touch' and an 'election loser'.

Strangely, they don't report which papers the people in the poll read.

You're somewhat right. She has a friend at the embassy. Just a friend. I have no doubt that as soon as you get any kind of job further up the ladder in politics you get friends in all sorts of places. As you say, and as I said earlier, this is who they mix with. The point is that it is entirely normal. That is not to excuse what it means structurally or politically, but to explain that there is nothing more covert and shady about her saying Brown was going to call an election (a point on which she was wrong about at the time anyway - what an asset) than there is any of them gossiping about the latest rumours over a glass of wine at the end of the day. Westminster, and London politics more generally, is a hive of this stuff - puffed up wonks and wannabes and think-they've-made-its talking themselves up to each other, schmoozing, a nudge here, a wink there. It's all bullshit, but it's all terribly quotidian. The glassy eyed glee with which this wikileaks thing has been passed around as some sort of evidence of something or another is at best intellectually dishonest and at worst feeding into some really unhelpful and stupid stuff. If it were being discussed with wider framing of how the political classes network and set against the idea of grassroots politics it would at least be more useful than the ways in which it's being used at present.
I'm not interested in defending WikiLeaks as an organisation nor, fwiw, Assange at all. But yes, it's about power, it's Miliband Vs Poulantzsas. It might be mundane, but it's also significant, it's how power and influence work. However I think that with her background in Bicom it's worth at least imagining her influence with the Americans to be a bit more focused. I agree with you in terms of the things that WikiLeaks can lead into - conspiraloonery - but then the actual leaks themselves sometimes indicate something genuine and plausible.

Back
Top Bottom