Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Nice dig at 'the ignorant proles'

Yawn, not at all, most people will not be aware of this treaty, more than usual, yes, because of brexit, thats no smear, just a fact. My comment was to signpost the concerns of the crowd, which may not completely chime with the wider public.

Last edited:
Icke, for example, goes on about it all the time, an article a week just about. You don't need to be clever or politically astute to know what TTIP is.

The Blairite/media silence is very interesting but I can't take the Bagehot article hence this article seriously. The fact that the Labour right cannot gain control of the party means that "True Labour" are going to struggle to outcompete Labour who are going to maintain the bulk of the grass roots base. If they are following the Bagehot plan they need to start out with the momentum to carry the "soft left" with them, which I think is unlikely.

More seriously the very fact that the Labour right are being so politically quietist means they have not ideologically paved the way for the formation of a new party. On this a new centrist split from Labour will be in a worse position than the SDP who were at least vocal about what they were about and what the problems with Labour were as they saw it. The criticism of the likes of Roy Jenkins was much more deep rooted and much more strategic - an attempt to reorganise British politics away from confrontation and class war as they saw it and that criticism was made over a number of years. The criticism of Corbyn is that he is weak leader and unelectable (at least in the critics' imagination), but don't ask us what we want, we just want to defeat the Tories etc. The very fact of right wing quietism demonstrates in part their own weakness and in part a belief that Corbynism is superficial fad that will eventually blow over. I don't think they are about to abandon what they see as their party to a bunch of lefties many of whom only joined the party this year.

I'm really not sure what is going to happen next. The whole coup was a demonstration of hubris and that hubris makes the Labour right unpredictable. I also agree with Mason that they are demonstrating an impressive level of discipline. So they're going to try something. But a split? No sign of it that I can see.

I've used the terms "Blairite" and "Corbynism" and "soft left" and I'm regretting it already. It's not about Corbynites versus Blairites with a soft left bouncing between them. That picture is far too simplistic and implies greater unity within the camps than there really is. It's not unreasonable to see the quietism as being in part a product of division and a lack of direction other than opposition to the leadership.

This article from The Torygraph retreads familiar but shaky ground but adds that some Labour MPs have apparently "approached Andrew Bridgen" and begged May to call an early General Election. If true, then the MPs in question should have the whip withdrawn forthwith. Given that this story is in the Telegraph, its validity should be questioned.

Almost 6,000 people have been reported to the party’s National Executive Committee as part of a new initiative introduced in mid-July to curb threats and poor behaviour.

It came as Tory MP Andrew Bridgen revealed he had been approached by Labour MPs as part of an attempt to secure an early general election to “get rid of Jeremy Corbyn” as the party’s leadership contest continues.

Mr Bridgen said he has been approached by three Labour MPs in Westminster who have asked for him to continue his bid for a nationwide vote in order to oust Mr Corbyn.

The MP claims that the Labour members warned the only way to rid the party of Mr Corbyn would be for Labour to be “wiped out” at a general election and prove his unpopularity with the public.

For me, this whole leadership election is about more than Corbyn or the Labour Party; it's about the wider issue of democracy in this country or, rather, the lack of it.

This article from The Torygraph retreads familiar but shaky ground but adds that some Labour MPs have apparently "approached Andrew Bridgen" and begged May to call an early General Election. If true, then the MPs in question should have the whip withdrawn forthwith. Given that this story is in the Telegraph, its validity should be questioned.

For me, this whole leadership election is about more than Corbyn or the Labour Party; it's about the wider issue of democracy in this country or, rather, the lack of it.

Disgusting as this is, I don't know how much ground the leadership would have to stand on given that Corbyn has called for an early election too.

Aye, but you can guarantee the " three MPs " (if they actually exist) will be in ultra safe seats!

Nice of the writer to actually make a little draft up of a tory election ad. It helpful for my imagination, who so often fail.

corbyn-tory-election.jpg

Guardian's grubby agenda very clear with the 2 pieces it is leading its politics page with - as the ballot papers are due to go out:

Item 1 - Heidi Alexander - Smith's campaign manager - why she thinks Corbyn is shit + spats she had with McDonnell. All the events are at least months ago, no news value at all:
Jeremy Corbyn's leadership unprofessional and shoddy, says Heidi Alexander

Item 2 - shrill headline that momentum has dropped its commitment to non-violence, feeding of course into the long running' bullying of the blairites' theme. If you actually read it its a rather pedantic change in wording to stop them having to expel people who were arrested for defensive violence if attacked by fash/police (to be honest I don't think there's too much risk of momentum types getting arrested for that sort of thing ;) ). They also manage to squeeze in some trot entryism stuff as well):
Momentum drops pledge to nonviolence from code of ethics

Guardian's grubby agenda very clear with the 2 pieces it is leading its politics page with - as the ballot papers are due to go out:

Item 1 - Heidi Alexander - Smith's campaign manager - why she thinks Corbyn is shit + spats she had with McDonnell. All the events are at least months ago, no news value at all:
Jeremy Corbyn's leadership unprofessional and shoddy, says Heidi Alexander
This first one seems a stupid move from Owen's camp, she basically admits that she (unlike Corbyn and McDonnell) didn't back the junior doctors strike. How that is going to win over any votes I've no idea.

This first one seems a stupid move from Owen's camp, she basically admits that she (unlike Corbyn and McDonnell) didn't back the junior doctors strike. How that is going to win over any votes I've no idea.
Yes, I thought that. My pure guess is that there actually was a shadow cabinet agreement not to go on the picket line, which shows up the contradictions of the Corbyn project, seeking to put together a shadow cabinet with a Blairite majority. But yeah, most of all she's happy to reveal she didn't support the docs in order to make her cheap dig.

AKA 'Look! We agreed not to support the workers - then you went ahead and supported the workers. Bastard!'

Last edited:
Not just that. An early election would probably circumvent the reselection/deselection process.
A General election called before the LP leadership election was settled would mean Corbyn wouldn't have the opportunity to call for the deselection of the those who have been actively looking to maintain their position at the parliamentary trough?

Back
Top Bottom