Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

"A central plank of the original claimants’ case was that the Labour party website said they would be eligible to vote in a leadership contest. But Sheldon says: “The website can’t be relied upon as providing a definitive meaning of the rules.”

From the gaurdian feed.That seems very weak to me. If the website is how they are selling a service - i.e. labour membership with the right to vote in a leadership election - then its entiely resonable for the the services offered on the website to be contractually binding.

"A central plank of the original claimants’ case was that the Labour party website said they would be eligible to vote in a leadership contest. But Sheldon says: “The website can’t be relied upon as providing a definitive meaning of the rules.”

From the gaurdian feed.That seems very weak to me. If the website is how they are selling a service - i.e. labour membership with the right to vote in a leadership election - then its entiely resonable for the the services offered on the website to be contractually binding.
The judge has said the website isn't the contract - which is where one place where Sheldon wants his cake and to eat it too. He argues as you say above but also that the website contained terms and conditions that outlined the NEC could change them as it liked. And the Judge just slapped him down then.

Within minutes of reporting this on C4 News last night, he was tweeting to advertise his (re-published) tome.
Kerching!
I bet he was - did he correct it though and point out Watson (if this is correct) is quoting from a hostile (to militant) review from ant-corbyn Progress rather than his book? Or that he appears to have turned that review into an actual document from militant?

is this bloke seriously trying to argue that contract rules don't apply if you become a mamber? The NEC basicaly declaring itself above the law as stands?

I bet he was - did he correct it though and point out Watson (if this is correct) is quoting from a hostile (to militant) review from ant-corbyn Progress rather than his book?
When quizzed (live on air) by Jacqui Long, he did concede that the quote(s) attributed to himself had, in fact, been derived from a review of his book. But he did appear delighted with the exposure.
£££

I've never been part of a Trot organisation, but I think without Stalin's purges the second world war would have been over much more quickly, and Kinock must have been a Stalin fan. As so the glorious peoples' deputy leader.

Its the £25 supporters thing that marks them out as hypocritical scum. Have a cut-off point to prevent people joining just to get a vote seems fair enough, even if imposing one inconsistently and retrospectively is a bit dubious. But to then allow people a vote who become supporters after that point makes a mockery of any logical argument to legitamise such a policy.
Spot on. The retrospective thing could be okay if it was a matter of days, just to stop some insane scramble to join on the cut off day. It could also be used to stop people joining on instalment payments, voting and then cancelling. Could just about be an argument for something like that, providing it was consistent and not too far into the past. But as we went through yesterday, the London mayoral cutoff was actually a future date, so rank hypocrisy in this vote. Even more so as people were actually told they could fully participate on joining. But as you say, the real fucker is the £25 thing. Absurd that a non-member can buy a vote denied to a full member of up to 6 months standing - fucking hell! Along with that a dirty little assumption that £3 was too frivolous, that you need to pay significant cash to value a thing.

Long winded paragraph above, could be summed up thus:

'Can I vote, I'm a member of 6 months standing?' - No, certainly not.
'But that wasn't the case for the London Mayor' - Don't give a shit
'Can I buy a vote?' - But of course!

fell asleep. Was there any more funny bits or any actual argument of substance

Also Judge Swollenpockets leaves it till tomorrow so he can get his pockets on swole. Again.

I've been up the High Court a couple of times and it never ceases to amaze me how stumbling and inarticulate most barristers are.
its almost like they are beneficiaries of a system that values private education and expensive legal training rather than direct and unambiguos discussion to solve matters. They spent fucking hours umming and arhing over the definition of words! What the fuck is going on. I'm taking my belt off

Back
Top Bottom