Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

It hinges on freeze dates, which have been applied retrospectively in recent selection processes (mayoral candidates etc) with no fuss at all. And then there was the stuff on the LP website, which made voting in a leadership election one of the attractions of signing up, without any mention of freeze dates - I suppose what they're thrashing out is whether the website text or the rulebook (or an interpretation of the rulebook anyway) applies.

Either way, as ever it isn't actually clear cut.
I'm sure that's right, but that amounts to 'there might just be a route for arguing they did a legal thing'. There's nothing in any of this that suggested they should try out a 6 month previous date as the freeze date, which was obviously a political choice. Even if they were to win an appeal there's nothing here that makes them look any better.

It hinges on freeze dates, which have been applied retrospectively in recent selection processes (mayoral candidates etc) with no fuss at all. And then there was the stuff on the LP website, which made voting in a leadership election one of the attractions of signing up, without any mention of freeze dates - I suppose what they're thrashing out is whether the website text or the rulebook (or an interpretation of the rulebook anyway) applies.

Either way, as ever it isn't actually clear cut.
Incidentally, what was the freeze date for full members in the Labour London Mayoral vote? I've looked round a few sites and all I found was Labour reining back on a promise to let 3 quidders sign up right till voting day. In the end they were given 12 days - which was of course shrunk to 2 days in the current shitfest.

12 august. although it's not clear when that was set (presumably not after 12 august, as the ballots were sent out on the 14th)

There's also a world of difference between writing a speech with attractive and memorable rhythm and cadence to try and keep people's attention and the murky world of advertising speak where linguistic tricks are taught at £500 seminars.
the former is what you strive for in any writing, but especially in fiction. Make them feel. The latter is the sheer arrogance to believe you can just mould reaction by speech. It might work sometimes and I question how often thats down to social circumstances anyway. But the linguistic voodoo? get to fuck. Makes me think of freemen on the land and their inane belief that noises coming out of cake holes have any binding relevance unless you can back it up by force of arms

CpWi_oKWEAAsTvZ.jpg:large

While the Israel lobbyist/arms dealer/shit comedian have a meltdown, Corbyn takes a moment to reflect...

the former is what you strive for in any writing, but especially in fiction. Make them feel. The latter is the sheer arrogance to believe you can just mould reaction by speech. It might work sometimes and I question how often thats down to social circumstances anyway. But the linguistic voodoo? get to fuck. Makes me think of freemen on the land and their inane belief that noises coming out of cake holes have any binding relevance unless you can back it up by force of arms

The thing is that there is no academic literature to back up any of the NLP claims, and a wealth of evidence which shows what a scam it is yet it is a very widely believed in. Councils pay for it, corporations pay their 'trainers' and 'teachers' to go on NLP courses, and then they patronise poor captive audiences of employees lower down the corporate hierarchy. What gets me is that these people who invest so much belief into NLP don't, you know, fucking google it to find out about it. How intellectually uncurious do you have to be to not do that?

Last edited:
It hinges on freeze dates, which have been applied retrospectively in recent selection processes (mayoral candidates etc) with no fuss at all.
It 'hinges on freeze dates' in so far as the whole thing is inherently about them, and then they become a specific point of argument as to reasonable interpretation. However the judgment is fundamentally about contractual expectations and whether anything afforded the NEC the opportunity to belatedly set a cutoff.

It's only because five people challenged it that we have this ruling. Presumably noone challenged previous exclusions, so hardly a sound foundation for precedent.

Also it's not clear to me that there have been prior retrospective restrictions, rather than 'prospective' as they call it, i.e. where you can't sign up after the process begins.

This time, however, I do agree that it wasn't (isn't, less sure) cut & dried.

12 august. although it's not clear when that was set (presumably not after 12 august, as the ballots were sent out on the 14th)
This suggests full members had the right to vote right up till the 12th August i.e. it didn't create a precedent for anything like the January thing in the current election. People could join as a member, become a 3 quidder or do it via other organisations/unions all on the same day.
Mayoral and Leadership timetable

It 'hinges on freeze dates' in so far as the whole thing is inherently about them, and then they become a specific point of argument as to reasonable interpretation. However the judgment is fundamentally about contractual expectations and whether anything afforded the NEC the opportunity to belatedly set a cutoff.

It's only because five people challenged it that we have this ruling. Presumably noone challenged previous exclusions, so hardly a sound foundation for precedent.

Also it's not clear to me that there have been prior retrospective restrictions, rather than 'prospective' as they call it, i.e. where you can't sign up after the process begins.

This time, however, I do agree that it wasn't (isn't, less sure) cut & dried.
In fact in the London vote - link I just posted - you could join/get a vote right up till the very last logistical point in the process (when ballots were about to go out).

For the 2015 leadership elections, the NEC set out the timetable on 13th May, with a cut off on 13th August.

Wiki says London mayoral was 12th August for 10th September vote. Originally NEC said 20th May for the freeze (<4 months), then on 17th March they extended it to June 12th (3 months)
(NEC extends deadline for supporters to register for London Mayoral Primary | LabourList). I don't know when that extended again.

If it were to be six months membership enforcement, that would logically under standard definition of terms be 21st March cut-off, but the NEC will struggle to prove their need for that given that they gave extra time in multiple other elections. More than 2 days, sure. More than 8 months to final voting, no. At the moment it falls under the category of "arbitrary", which company law doesn't tend to like when money has changed hands to form a contract and there's a retrospective change. Looking at the dates, I don't see why a judge would uphold the appeal.

All that said, given that there are now new NEC members, perhaps they could just meet again, vote in a fixed admin period such as 2 weeks prior to ballot paper issue and set a new cut-off date accordingly. There's clear precedence for them changing the dates anyway from last year and it saves the waste of money on appeal.

All that said, given that there are now new NEC members, perhaps they could just meet again, vote in a fixed admin period such as 2 weeks prior to ballot paper issue and set a new cut-off date accordingly. There's clear precedence for them changing the dates anyway from last year and it saves the waste of money on appeal.
They'll certainly need to meet to respond to the court decision. They might even go completely mad and allow the CLPs to have normal meetings. :eek:

When I was a Labour member - half a lifetime ago, thankfully - I have a vague memory they used to announce the new NEC at the conference. Have they brought the process forward now? What I'm getting at is do the newly elected bods join the NEC now or wait till September?

I don't think anything changes til conference re: the NEC. either way, the election has only changed three members out of 30-odd. It's shifted the balance of power, but it's not exactly all change.

When I was a Labour member - half a lifetime ago, thankfully - I have a vague memory they used to announce the new NEC at the conference. Have they brought the process forward now? What I'm getting at is do the newly elected bods join the NEC now or wait till September?
... answered my own question - it is September (buried in this piece):
Corbyn consolidates grip on Labour with high court and NEC successes

So, the current NEC can still fuck about for a bit longer.

I don't think anything changes til conference re: the NEC. either way, the election has only changed three members out of 30-odd. It's shifted the balance of power, but it's not exactly all change.
Yes, but other bits of the NEC might change before then - or not of course. Presumably the unions and other groups who have reps are currently going through their own elections to select their reps.

Wiki says London mayoral was 12th August for 10th September vote. Originally NEC said 20th May for the freeze (<4 months), then on 17th March they extended it to June 12th (3 months)
(NEC extends deadline for supporters to register for London Mayoral Primary | LabourList). I don't know when that extended again.
As I understand it, and I may be wrong, all of these dates were after the timetable was announced, so prospective, no matter how far in advance they may have been of the actual voting.

This is distinct from declaring an election and immediately saying that some members are already ineligible to vote.

The thing is that there is no academic literature to back up any of the NLP claims, and a wealth of evidence which shows what a scam it is yet it is a very widely believed in. Councils pay for it, corporations pay their 'trainers' and 'teachers' to go on NLP courses, and then they patronise poor captive audiences of employees lower down the corporate hierarchy. What gets me is that these people who invest so much belief into NLP don't, you know, fucking google it to find out about it. How intellectually uncurious do you have to be to not do that?
oh I know its the preserve of managment cultists and rapists

oh I know its the preserve of managment cultists and rapists

I thought I was being sensible to go into the private sector (I'm an electronics engineer, now doing software). Thatch looked like she was going to destroy the public sector, but she just destroyed industry.

So having suffered from the dot com crash, commoditisation and globalisation, outsourcing and the financial crisis, I have no pension or property (I'm quite good at what I do too).

I know I'm not the only one without anything to fall back on, who is going to have to work till they drop.

Sometimes I wish I went to work for the council in one of those jobs that don't add to the GDP. Or the NHS, or whatever that doesn't need to be better than the other workplaces; being better includes the people selling the stuff we make and managers who have a clue and care about what they are doing.

So bollocks to tricking people into thinking they are better as a long time solution. We need to actually make them better. Give them chances to make a decent life, and not be stressed to death.

oh a Roman Empire reference to look good. Problem is they have been stabbing him with rubber dagger long since march and finding to their extreme frustration that corbyn is made out of iron and cannot be slain by rubber daggers. Loving this tbf, nearly the entire plp despises what he stands for (got questions meself tbh but he's at least onside) yet nearly the entire rest of the party think C-Byn is a god. Going to court over wether your members can vote, fuck me. I'll say gold plated Corbz of iron cannot lose a leadership battle. But a house divided is never a good look and these cunts will tank a GE result rather than give ground. 60k a year before you touch expenses

oh a Roman Empire reference to look good. Problem is they have been stabbing him with rubber dagger long since march and finding to their extreme frustration that corbyn is made out of iron and cannot be slain by rubber daggers. Loving this tbf, nearly the entire plp despises what he stands for (got questions meself tbh but he's at least onside) yet nearly the entire rest of the party think C-Byn is a god. Going to court over wether your members can vote, fuck me. I'll say gold plated Corbz of iron cannot lose a leadership battle. But a house divided is never a good look and these cunts will tank a GE result rather than give ground. 60k a year before you touch expenses

That is the problem right there. Entitled snouts in the trough and all that.

Back
Top Bottom