Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

I am not particularly bothered about rent controls, I just picked them out as something on Corbyn’s manifesto that didn’t appeal to me (when asked to do so by Brogdale), because I think that the housing problem is essentially one of restricted supply in the places people want to live, and as soon as that is fixed, rent controls would be irrelevant. They might make sense in some areas as a time-limited scheme while the house building gets under way.

I have one house. Actually we do charge our youngest daughter rent now she’s earning, £300 monthly to cover bed and board, so I suppose you can count me as a rentier, although I suspect that the valuation board would say she’s getting a reasonable deal.

Just a reminder that house price to income ratio in China is 29:1, compared to 9:1 in UK, and higher end estimates suggest there are enough vacant homes for 3x the Chinese population.

It is by no means guaranteed that supply can lower prices. UK property market is open to overseas investors so demand is potentially more or less unlimited.

I suggested upthread that we needed several new towns in London’s green belt with a high proportion of social housing, picking Bucks and Essex as ideal locations. That was the reference.
Round our way we need to stop second homes and houses being used for holiday lets. That is what is destroying communities all around the coastline of the UK and in all the prettiest bits. Build social housing as well, if needed, but deal with the underlying inequality first.

Just a reminder that house price to income ratio in China is 29:1, compared to 9:1 in UK, and higher end estimates suggest there are enough vacant homes for 3x the Chinese population.

It is by no means guaranteed that supply can lower prices. UK property market is open to overseas investors so demand is potentially more or less unlimited.

Scarcity is one of the drivers for overseas investment, although it definitely needs to be taxed aggressively, as with second homes and holiday lets.

Anyway, we have perfectly good threads for discussing housing and town planning. There was a time when I would have put Corbyn at the top of a hit list, but now he’s an irrelevance, elected or not, so I’ll leave this thread to Magic Grandpa devotees, just as Who threads should be left to Whovians and Swift threads to Swifties. That constituency leaflet still makes me chortle, though.

Not sure about rent controls at all. I don’t care who owns the Royal Mail. I object massively to “peace around the world” because I know perfectly well what Corbyn and his useful idiot acolytes mean by it. Everything else seems fine.

I also have a very dim view of the maternity unit at the Whittington, as they nearly killed our firstborn, but that’s by the by.
Ah you advocate higher rents, reduced and more expensive mail, a foreign policy of "war to make peace", and less hospitals. You must be very happy with the way the country is run then, you're getting everything you want

I am not particularly bothered about rent controls, I just picked them out as something on Corbyn’s manifesto that didn’t appeal to me (when asked to do so by Brogdale), because I think that the housing problem is essentially one of restricted supply in the places people want to live, and as soon as that is fixed, rent controls would be irrelevant. They might make sense in some areas as a time-limited scheme while the house building gets under way.
If prices are only high in places people 'want to live' how do you explain the high prices throughout the UK? Not many second home owners in inner cities but rents are high there, too. Landlords can charge what they like because they have a monopoly.

Still no reason why they won't work aside from you don't like them. You're happy to protect the interests of millionaire landlords at the expense of people struggling to survive. Not surprised you don't like Corbyn, and your accusation of antisemitism looks like a smokescreen, which is pretty fucking nasty.

Anyway, we have perfectly good threads for discussing housing and town planning. There was a time when I would have put Corbyn at the top of a hit list, but now he’s an irrelevance, elected or not, so I’ll leave this thread to Magic Grandpa devotees, just as Who threads should be left to Whovians and Swift threads to Swifties. That constituency leaflet still makes me chortle, though.
I take the view that anyone who uses the epithet "Magic Grandpa" doesn't have much to say for themselves, and sees politics in terms of personalities and 'feelings'.

Corbyn is an associate of Stop the War Coalition. He isn't a realistic candidate for PM which is why he lost heavily and we got Johnson Truss etc.

Even now Starmer has the dogs at the end of their leash. Ready to do their job on him.
He lost heavily because the plp are cunts and the shadow europe minister proposed a second referendum in the let's get brexit done election

If prices are only high in places people 'want to live' how do you explain the high prices throughout the UK? Not many second home owners in inner cities but rents are high there, too. Landlords can charge what they like because they have a monopoly.

Still no reason why they won't work aside from you don't like them. You're happy to protect the interests of millionaire landlords at the expense of people struggling to survive. Not surprised you don't like Corbyn, and your accusation of antisemitism looks like a smokescreen, which is pretty fucking nasty.
Really? A dirty of airbnbs in Leith, that's innercity..noticed impacted on prices Scottish Government has bought in Short term tenancy act to address. Has also done rent caps ..causes other issues

Really? A dirty of airbnbs in Leith, that's innercity..noticed impacted on prices Scottish Government has bought in Short term tenancy act to address. Has also done rent caps ..causes other issues

1 bed flat £895 pm
1 bed flat £950 pm
1 bed flat £1010 pm
1 bed flat £1045 pm

Eta: agreed that the things you mentioned are good ideas.

And what other issues do rent caps cause?

1 bed flat £895 pm
1 bed flat £950 pm
1 bed flat £1010 pm
1 bed flat £1045 pm

Eta: agreed that the things you mentioned are good ideas.

And what other issues do rent caps cause?
That's up about 40% on 5 years ago. And prices to buy went up similarly. Number of key safes on doors has multiplied....Biggest other change was a number of student accommodation..which drove hipsterfication.

Rent caps...the work around is flog the property to clear tenancy..

That's up about 40% on 5 years ago.
But still fucking expensive for one-bedroom flats.

And prices to buy went up similarly.
But landlords who'd bought over 5 years ago are coining it in then, making excess profits at the expense of poorer renters.
Number of key safes on doors has multiplied....Biggest other change was a number of student accommodation..which drove hipsterfication.
Don't understand about key safes on doors. Lower rents drove hipsterfication?
Indeed, which with a huge number of properties entering the market simultaneously would push down prices. Not sure about you but I think that would be a good result. People who buy the houses would perhaps afford to buy rather than having to rent? Or would rent out the houses at more reasonable rents. Those houses aren't going to disappear when they're sold.

Other consequences: investment companies and landlords with multiple properties would have their profits reduced. Tough. Those who bought as an investment recently at market high would lose money, but we're always being told that the value of investments can go down as well as up :) . Only downside I can really see is that people buying a single house at the peak of the market to rent out to supplement their pension could lose out, and they could perhaps be cushioned against the effects.

As against the benefits if, say, rents were halved: huge numbers of renters would have more money for food and other essentials, and wouldn't be in constant fear of being thrown out because they couldn't pay £250+ a week rent. That money would enter the economy rather than being pocketed by rich landlords.

The benefits would seem to me to outweigh the downsides.

depends on how any new law is put together.

my understanding is that before the thatcher era changes in the law, a tenanted place could only be sold 'with sitting tenant' who retained their existing rights even if the landlord changes, and the (dwindling number of) people whose tenancies started before x date are still protected.

of course some landlords will / would just neglect the place in the hope tenants will bugger off, others had a reputation for dubious practices to 'get rid of' tenants.

any new law on tenants' rights / rent controls will need to be thought out carefully - and have a system to enforce it - otherwise landlords will just find loopholes and leave tenants even worse off. (and for the avoidance of any confusion, i'm arguing for good rather than bodged law, not arguing for nothing to be done...)

But still fucking expensive for one-bedroom flats.

But landlords who'd bought over 5 years ago are coining it in then, making excess profits at the expense of poorer renters.

Don't understand about key safes on doors. Lower rents drove hipsterfication?

Indeed, which with a huge number of properties entering the market simultaneously would push down prices. Not sure about you but I think that would be a good result. People who buy the houses would perhaps afford to buy rather than having to rent? Or would rent out the houses at more reasonable rents. Those houses aren't going to disappear when they're sold.

Other consequences: investment companies and landlords with multiple properties would have their profits reduced. Tough. Those who bought as an investment recently at market high would lose money, but we're always being told that the value of investments can go down as well as up :) . Only downside I can really see is that people buying a single house at the peak of the market to rent out to supplement their pension could lose out, and they could perhaps be cushioned against the effects.

As against the benefits if, say, rents were halved: huge numbers of renters would have more money for food and other essentials, and wouldn't be in constant fear of being thrown out because they couldn't pay £250+ a week rent. That money would enter the economy rather than being pocketed by rich landlords.

The benefits would seem to me to outweigh the downsides.
No rent caps mean they can't hike on existing tenants...so churning going on .

Key safe on entrance doors...other reason for doing tends to be access for carers..but rule of thumb usually means it's being airbnbd.

Rents rarely go down...and the higher intrest rates mean the landlords do most likely have higher costs. Tenancy rights are stronger than down south but like I said there are work arounds

Magic grandpa is indeed irrelevant, even if elected he’ll have near zero impact in parliament, the national debate or political agenda…

depends on how any new law is put together.

my understanding is that before the thatcher era changes in the law, a tenanted place could only be sold 'with sitting tenant' who retained their existing rights even if the landlord changes, and the (dwindling number of) people whose tenancies started before x date are still protected.

of course some landlords will / would just neglect the place in the hope tenants will bugger off, others had a reputation for dubious practices to 'get rid of' tenants.

any new law on tenants' rights / rent controls will need to be thought out carefully - and have a system to enforce it - otherwise landlords will just find loopholes and leave tenants even worse off. (and for the avoidance of any confusion, i'm arguing for good rather than bodged law, not arguing for nothing to be done...)
Looking at the property websites you've got about 1-40 being sold with tenantt in situe 'investments' whether tenants have something legally binding I don't know

No rent caps mean they can't hike on existing tenants...so churning going on .
Don't understand - rent caps could also mean that they can't hike on new tenants, either - much like (as I understand it) the government already does when only paying a proportion of 'fair market rents' for social security.
Key safe on entrance doors...other reason for doing tends to be access for carers..but rule of thumb usually means it's being airbnbd.
Fair do's, restrict airbnbs, too. Problem solved surely?
Rents rarely go down...and the higher intrest rates mean the landlords do most likely have higher costs.
Indeed - that's the thing about rents when there's a drop in house prices (rare enough) rents don't go down. Rent controls would mean that rents actually do go down.
Tenancy rights are stronger than down south but like I said there are work arounds
Punish those work arounds I'd say to stop landlords gaming the system.

Surely the huge benefits to millions of renters in the UK dwarf the problems you're suggesting there might be?

Magic grandpa is indeed irrelevant, even if elected he’ll have near zero impact in parliament, the national debate or political agenda…
He's one individual. Not sure how much impact you expect any individual to have. But mass disillusion with the incoming Labour govt is going to kick in early. Arguably it has already started even before they take power. Where that disillusion takes people politically is going to matter a lot. Towards ideas of greater social justice for all or towards ideas that social justice should be the preserve of particular groups to the exclusion of others, who are scapegoated for social and economic problems? Those are the fault lines developing across Europe right now. Disappointing centrists with no answers to the inexorable rise in inequality are being squeezed elsewhere, and they could easily be squeezed here as the disappointing results of their disapointing agendas reap their disappointing lack of rewards.

Don't understand - rent caps could also mean that they can't hike on new tenants, either - much like (as I understand it) the government already does when only paying a proportion of 'fair market rents' for social security.

Fair do's, restrict airbnbs, too. Problem solved surely?

Indeed - that's the thing about rents when there's a drop in house prices (rare enough) rents don't go down. Rent controls would mean that rents actually do go down.

Punish those work arounds I'd say to stop landlords gaming the system.

Surely the huge benefits to millions of renters in the UK dwarf the problems you're suggesting there might be?
Rent caps up here mean only way you can up rent is change tenants..and can they aint going anywhere unless you sell.but then you got capital gains and a higher stamp 6% on non principle home .

Back
Top Bottom