Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is the democracy of the European Union any worse than UK's?

TremulousTetra

prismatic universe
Those against being a member of Europe talk of its "undemocratic nature". That the head of the European Union is unelected.

Are these unelected bureaucrats those people speak of merely the European equivalent of the British civil service?

Every so often we elect MEP's. And the European Parliament.

So I suppose my question is, is the European Parliament and their 'civil service' any less democratic than the U.K.'s democraticand civil service system?

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :)

Is the democracy of the EU a mechanism for fighting against neoliberal economics? Is it more malleable to that end than the UK ‘s democracy? Which kind of fish is best at walking. And maybe this is why people are choosing overfish.

Sorry that was a bit wank. I think you’re asking the wrong question.

The EU is too vast in scale and too impenetrable in organisation to be democratic or accountable. The same applies to nation states of course, but the EU compounds the problem and adds an order of magnitude to it.

But it's better than a return to fascism right? At least the EU wouldn't allow that, right? The mechanics of the European Parliament would never actively encourage the legitimisation of fascist parties or magnify their influence, right?

The EU is too vast in scale and too impenetrable in organisation to be democratic or accountable. The same applies to nation states of course, but the EU compounds the problem and adds an order of magnitude to it.

But it's better than a return to fascism right? At least the EU wouldn't allow that, right? The mechanics of the European Parliament would never actively encourage the legitimisation of fascist parties or magnify their influence, right?
If that's the yardstick though - size, then Canada by definition is to vast to be democratic or accountable. Countries should aspire to be more like, say Andora, or Monaco, or the Vatican City, amirite?

This is one time the old saying applies - it's not about the size, it's all about knowing what to do with it.

Anyone who says the Tory-DUP led government is anything close to being Democratic is a fuckwit. It's "allowed" despite the UK being a tiny (in World terms) country, so there.

If that's the yardstick though - size, then Canada by definition is to vast to be democratic or accountable. Countries should aspire to be more like, say Andora, or Monaco, or the Vatican City, amirite?

This is one time the old saying applies - it's not about the size, it's all about knowing what to do with it.

Anyone who says the Tory-DUP led government is anything close to being Democratic is a fuckwit. It's "allowed" despite the UK being a tiny (in World terms) country, so there.

From context you might have been able to guess that I meant size of population rather than land area. Canada has only around 56.06% of the UK's population.

Last edited:
Canada has less than half the UK's population.

I hadn't noticed that Canada has less than half the UK's population. When did that happen? And HOW?!?!? Snatch squads? Giant transporter planes?

I'm worried that no newspapers have reported on this...

Reactions: CRI
I hadn't noticed that Canada has less than half the UK's population. When did that happen? And HOW?!?!? Snatch squads? Giant transporter planes?

Maybe not less than half. Half-ish though 35 odd million to the UK's 70-odd.

Thoughts and prayers to Canada on the mysterious loss of nearly 4m people - nearly as many as in all the Republic of Ireland.

Which again, by this "yardstick" should be almost 53 times more democratic than the UK.

If you're going to keep missing the point on purpose you can probably just fuck off tbh.
I don't think I'm the one missing the point. You have to examine a whole range of factors to determine how democratic a nation or federation of states is, and size - whether land mass or population, is one of the least significant ones. Present a silly argument? Expect a silly response.

I don't think I'm the one missing the point. You have to examine a whole range of factors to determine how democratic a nation or federation of states is, and size - whether land mass or population, is one of the least significant ones. Present a silly argument? Expect a silly response.
go on, show you can do a serious response.

No, it's not.

And how did you do that as regards the EU and the UK?

That was exactly my point you pillock.

and what makes you think canada is democratic?

Canada has only around 56.06% of the UK's population.

I've been round to my neighbours and they are still here. I wonder if this secret (forced?) exodus of people is only affecting certain counties. Maybe Sussex or Northampton is now deserted. I think we should be told.

Reactions: CRI
I've been round to my neighbours and they are still here. I wonder if this secret (forced?) exodus of people is only affecting certain counties. Maybe Sussex or Northampton is now deserted. I think we should be told.
what should concern you more is the high mortality of remain voters, the great majority of whom - so billbond tells us - have perished since 2016

If this was funny people would have found it funny the first time round, no?

Back
Top Bottom