Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is the democracy of the European Union any worse than UK's?

Time to ignore this thread. It's only bound to get stupider and stupider with more and more turkeys casting their ballots for Christmas. Ciao!

The EU is too vast in scale and too impenetrable in organisation to be democratic or accountable. The same applies to nation states of course, but the EU compounds the problem and adds an order of magnitude to it.
While I do agree that the EU is very far from accountable, I don't think this is particularly the reason why. Should India give up on its unity and break up into its 30-odd constituent states? Far more people in India than the EU. With 7 billion people and counting on Earth, there is an urgent need for effective international institutions, and those institutions do need to be as democratic as possible. That's the challenge.

While I do agree that the EU is very far from accountable, I don't think this is particularly the reason why. Should India give up on its unity and break up into its 30-odd constituent states? Far more people in India than the EU. With 7 billion people and counting on Earth, there is an urgent need for effective international institutions, and those institutions do need to be as democratic as possible. That's the challenge.

India possibly not a great example of a super-functional democracy.

Time to ignore this thread. It's only bound to get stupider and stupider with more and more turkeys casting their ballots for Christmas. Ciao!

This is a thread, not a shuttle bay. You don't have to register your departure with the Captain.

Shuttlebay-3.jpg

It’s a lot more accountable than the uk.

View attachment 150361

Of the EU institutions on that list, only the membership of the European Parliament is decided by EU voters. Also not discussed; where the balance of executive power rests among the aforementioned institutions.

Taking a look at the "ordinary legislative procedure", it would seem that the EP is pretty much a rubber-stamp for the European Commission.

The UK bourgeois democratic system sucks, but then so do they all. I do not at all expect that a super-amalgamation of them all will somehow turn out better rather than worse than the sum of its parts.

It’s a lot more accountable than the uk.

View attachment 150361
Why the fuck would you even bother to go on the internet to do this. You people who genuinely post shit like do not genuinely give a shit about whatever you call democracy. You literally are happy to be ruled by people who do sort of what you want to happen. Doesn't matter if you can't change them, impact on their decisions or - dangerously - make decisions for yourself. Fucking serfs.

It seems apparent that its not actually possible to leave this supposedly democratic institution that is the EU or ,at the very least,it is proving to be difficult in the extreme.

It seems apparent that its not actually possible to leave this supposedly democratic institution that is the EU or ,at the very least,it is proving to be difficult in the extreme.
It is? Seems to be going forward as planned to me.

Why the fuck would you even bother to go on the internet to do this. You people who genuinely post shit like do not genuinely give a shit about whatever you call democracy. You literally are happy to be ruled by people who do sort of what you want to happen. Doesn't matter if you can't change them, impact on their decisions or - dangerously - make decisions for yourself. Fucking serfs.

6 of the seven sections are either directly elected or elected/appointed by people we elected, so pretty much the definition of accountable.

Alex

Do you mean you people who post facts or some other you people ?
I mean serfs.

You literally - and i mean that literally - must not know how the eu works or don't care enough so just thought that you'd share a piece of crap.

You are a serf and a willing serf.

I mean serfs.

You literally - and i mean that literally - must not know how the eu works or don't care enough so just thought that you'd share a piece of crap.

You are a serf and a willing serf.

Pretty much all levels of the eu are elected, a civil service or directly appointed by elected leaders.

This is pretty much the definition of accountable - their subjects can hold them to account.

You seem to believe they aren’t accountable - sounds like one of us believes everything they are told in the papers.

Alex

This just means that elected people then elect them.

Like your local council then electing people to run the eu death star and calling it democracy. What can you do to stop it?

Alex

This just means that elected people then elect them.

Like your local council then electing people to run the eu death star and calling it democracy. What can you do to stop it?

Alex

So you are saying that we should leave a more democratic body ( the eu ) in order to be fully subject to be a less democratic body ( the uk ), in order to be more democratically ruled ?

( and is your name Alex, or are you signing off with my name ? )

Or are you a monarchist - that could make sense.

Alex

So you are saying that we should leave a more democratic body ( the eu ) in order to be fully subject to be a less democratic body ( the uk ), in order to be more democratically ruled ?

( and is your name Alex, or are you signing off with my name ? )

Alex
What of these do you think that you've established?

6 of the seven sections are either directly elected or elected/appointed by people we elected, so pretty much the definition of accountable.

Alex
Oh come on :D

Only one of those sections is directly elected - the European Parliament- and that's not where the power is. As for appointees being accountable? If I don't like the appointment of the German Finance Minister as the chair of the EU finance committee how do I have any way of holding him to account? Or any decisions by Italian, French or Hungarian politicians? Definition of accountable my arse.

No-one, even committed europhiles, who know anything about it seriously think the EU is close to democratic. If you made a similar table comparing theoretical democracy in the UK and the USSR, Britain would look similarly bad.

I'm ambivalent about the EU and Brexit but you're just arguing fairlyland nonsense.

Alex

You think because the political class get to decide amongst themselves who gets to run the EU, that means it's accountable? That's really naive.

Back
Top Bottom