Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it wrong to eat animals that are clever?

vegans and veggies no doubt find my selective morality hypocritical but I wouldn't eat dolhin or ape. Dolphins cos they might be poets and apes cos they might be capable of uplift once we work out nueral laces/augs/implants

i don't know how your social interactions go but very few of mine include killing or violence these days.

Depends on your perspective. Someone who chooses not to eat meat probably makes the choice based on feeling the force of violence that's inherent in meat and it's production.

Therefore eating a 'cheeky nandows' can be seen a violent act.

apes cos they might be capable of uplift once we work out nueral laces/augs/implants

Yeah. Like you said. "Uplift". Yeah.

CHARLTON-HESTON-PLANET-OF-THE-APES.jpg

Depends on your perspective. Someone who chooses not to eat meat probably makes the choice based on feeling the force of violence that's inherent in meat and it's production.

Therefore eating a 'cheeky nandows' can be seen a violent act.
tbh if you're going to take that attitude there's 'violence' at every step of every area of human endeavour. do you think i want to be sitting here at work day after day after day? it's violence or the threat of violence which keeps people at work.

Well I think I subscribe loosely to the premise having previously been veggie and vegan I occasionly eat fish in restaurant or at home. I'm against animal cruelty generally but fish is my only consession. I've got no desire to eat any other meat having not touched any for 30 odd years. The smell and look of it is gross IMO

tbh if you're going to take that attitude there's 'violence' at every step of every area of human endeavour. do you think i want to be sitting here at work day after day after day? it's violence or the threat of violence which keeps people at work.

I don't really see the parallel you draw, unless you are at risk of being killed and eaten if you don't work.

You may as well claim humans are disgusted by sex - there's no need for it in this modern age where artificial insemination is possible.
Sex is not just for reproduction though is it.

Also with in reproduction it plays a crucial role of creating and testing the intimacy between the parents.... Very important for the child

Eating isn't just for sustenance.
but the social rituals of breaking bread together need not imply meat at all. OTOH you do have things like the ritual of the sunday roast which sort of implies meat although there is nutroast

but the social rituals of breaking bread together need not imply meat at all. OTOH you do have things like the ritual of the sunday roast which sort of implies meat although there is nutroast
the social ritual of breaking bread focusses on eating something but not the most valued foodstuff. that's why it's bread, which is a staple among many cultures, and not meat which in bygone times would not necessarily have been to hand and which might have necessitated a special hunting expedition to obtain.

I had a goat slaughtered for me once (I was veggie at the time fwiw) that ritual gesture of honour wouldn't have worked with a plate of veg.:(

Its wrong to eat dumb animals as well if you don't need to. I'm not against people doing it, but morally to murder another living creature and eat it's flesh just because it's delicious is not really justifiable
I've wrestled with this for years. Have been vegetarian and vegan on and off over the years too. Trouble unless I end up spending about twice as much on food as I can afford I get ill every time, or really overweight. I haven't given up but I think my life has to be a lot more stable before I can try again.

How anyone can eat an octopus is beyond me. There's as cool as fuck.
since finding out that, in theory, lobsters can live for ever (QI fact I think) I've not been able to touch lobster. which is fine, because my finances wouldn;t survive me eating lobster very often either.

Personally I prefer to eat game rather than farmed meat if possible, for me that's my main "ethical" preference as far as meat eating goes these days.

I've wrestled with this for years. Have been vegetarian and vegan on and off over the years too. Trouble unless I end up spending about twice as much on food as I can afford I get ill every time, or really overweight. I haven't given up but I think my life has to be a lot more stable before I can try again.

I'm not a vegetarian, I don't generally buy anything except fish at home, but if I go to a restaurant I am quite happy to order or eat any meat (even intelligent, strange or cute animals).
To be honest my main motivation for not being into meet is that I read somewhere that pork and beef stays in your body for a long time after you've eaten it.

if i served nutroast at my sunday lunch i'd be eating alone.

Back
Top Bottom