Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Just a wee reminder of what the Department for Exiting the EU is costing us all. Some staff are seconded from other departments, which means other parts of the civil service are threadbare to the point of no being able to function, so here's that, too.

Capture.JPG

And it will be ignored, since leadership of both main UK parties seem to be cheeks of the same arse when it comes to leaving the EU ASAP. :mad:

Not really. It will be ignored by May and co as to concede that the whole thing was corrupted and maybe should never have happened could lead to end of the tory party as it is currently formed. Brexit is pretty much the only thing keeping the right-wing headbangers onside with their dreams of an untrammelled free market. Labour/left-wing proponents of leaving the EU have an entirely different set of reasons for wanting the same thing focussing more on the notion that the EU is essentially undemocratic and a grand neoliberal project writ large

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I haven't had a tv in perhaps 15 years, and don't tend to listen to the radio so much in the car these days, but I definitely have noticed a "shift" in what the BBC chooses to report and how it pitches it in the past couple years.

Can we club together and buy her one? Might stop her posting so much ignorant shit on here. I'm in for a tenner.

Not really. It will be ignored by May and co as to concede that the whole thing was corrupted and maybe should never have happened could lead to end of the tory party as it is currently formed. Brexit is pretty much the only thing keeping the right-wing headbangers onside with their dreams of an untrammelled free market. Labour/left-wing proponents of leaving the EU have an entirely different set of reasons for wanting the same thing focussing more on the notion that the EU is essentially undemocratic and a grand neoliberal project writ large
Politicians can blether til the cows come home about how their "reasons" for leaving the EU are better than the other side's, but the outcome of leaving will still be the same - a far shittier situation than we would have had remaining in the EU. Stomping about claiming some kind of moral superiority won't fix the shit. The outcome is what matters. Both the main parties have failed the people of the UK hideously and unforgiveably.

Just a wee reminder of what the Department for Exiting the EU is costing us all. Some staff are seconded from other departments, which means other parts of the civil service are threadbare to the point of no being able to function, so here's that, too.

View attachment 163987

TBF its even more concerning that a department that apparently is responsible for such a massive and complex piece of work is only spending £43 - £47 million a year (edit: on staff). They cannot be doing anything substantial there if that is what the actual cost is.

To put that into context, its what the NHS spent on agency staff over a period of thirty-seven days last year - and that was a year of historically low spending on agency staff. Its less than what Grayling wasted on that non-ferry ferry company and paying Eurotunnel off.

Reactions: CRI
TBF its even more concerning that a department that apparently is responsible for such a massive and complex piece of work is only spending £43 - £47 million a year (edit: on staff). They cannot be doing anything substantial there if that is what the actual cost is.

To put that into context, its what the NHS spent on agency staff over a period of thirty-seven days last year - and that was a year of historically low spending on agency staff. Its less than what Grayling wasted on that non-ferry ferry company and paying Eurotunnel off.

I think the figure for staffing expenditure for the year to August 2018 was over £43 billion, not million. I can imagine that sum has increased in the past several months, as there are statutory notices, guidance docs, etc. being flung online at breakneck speed (although most of them being about as useful as a chocolate teapot - but someone's being paid to write them!)

I think the figure for staffing expenditure for the year to August 2018 was over £43 billion, not million. I can imagine that sum has increased in the past several months, as there are statutory notices, guidance docs, etc. being flung online at breakneck speed (although most of them being about as useful as a chocolate teapot - but someone's being paid to write them!)

Are you sure - if they are being 50k each there are 860,000 of them working there ?

Alex

Its millions, not billions - at least according to the most recent accounts (.pdf file from Gov.uk).

TBF its even more concerning that a department that apparently is responsible for such a massive and complex piece of work is only spending £43 - £47 million a year (edit: on staff). They cannot be doing anything substantial there if that is what the actual cost is...
If my sums are right that's over £60k each on average. There's no fucking way civil service workers are getting any more than half that (and most a third). Something stinks there. They need a minimum, minimum mind...of 650 lawyers plus 5 times that (easily) in support from the CS...the number of staff that should be seconded is huge, the number of outside staff you have to bring in is also huge...and really, really expensive.

So the number is too small and so is the budget.

If my sums are right that's over £60k each on average. There's no fucking way civil service workers are getting any more than half that (and most a third). Something stinks there. They need a minimum, minimum mind...of 650 lawyers plus 5 times that (easily) in support from the CS...the number of staff that should be seconded is huge, the number of outside staff you have to bring in is also huge...and really, really expensive.

So the number is too small and so is the budget.
Have you forgotten the employer's costs like pension contributions? You don't just divide the big figure by the number of staff, you know

Its millions, not billions - at least according to the most recent accounts (.pdf file from Gov.uk).
Thank you for the link - I stand corrected. Figures for staffing costs up to end of last March are as below. But, I would expect the figures for staff as well as the cost of employing them will be significantly higher in this financial year. It's not like the department was doing very much this time last year, compared to the frenetic activity now!

upload_2019-3-9_23-51-19.png

But honestly, it's all a complete waste. Imagine what else could have been done with all this lolly.

You've lost me. I was always under the impression they raided the public purse to transfer wealth from the tax payer to private hands (unless that's what you mean).
Well basically yes (esp the tories). They should be haemorrhaging money, but that budget is minuscule and so are the staffing numbers.

Yeh the times isn't what it used to be
So, you agree with the 35m spend on pointless, hypocritical adverts to try and convince EU27 nationals to stay, after years of demonising them, fostering an environment of xenophobia and subjecting them to a byzantine system to apply for "settled status," etc.?

So, you agree with the 35m spend on pointless, hypocritical adverts to try and convince EU27 nationals to stay, after years of demonising them, fostering an environment of xenophobia and subjecting them to a byzantine system to apply for "settled status," etc.?
The ads don't say please stay, they are spreading the fact people need to register. If the situation of needing to register does become a reality, and I really hope it doesn't, then yes, that is money that needs to be spent.... Might reach a few people who would become illegal, excludable and deportable otherwise

I think both the times and the policy/ads are wastes of money

Back
Top Bottom