Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
The ads don't say please stay, they are spreading the fact people need to register. If the situation of needing to register does become a reality, and I really hope it doesn't, then yes, that is money that needs to be spent.... Might reach a few people who would become illegal, excludable and deportable otherwise
The Application for Settle Status scheme was introduced late last year, so it is already a reality, and it's not a registration scheme either. You have to apply, and can be accepted, rejected, or granted pre-settled status, which is a kind of limbo status. If you look at the thread here about EU nationals, you'll see some of the anxiety it is causing already because well, lots of British people have parents, partners, children, work colleagues, neighbours, friends, etc. who are citizens of the other 27 EU countries. Even if they've lived here for decades, own property, have businesses, etc., they could be thrown out. Even if that's not likely, knowing that some stuff shirt in the Home Office can determine your fate with a keystroke is likely to be anxiety-inducing. Once you've been given settled-status, you have to inform the Home Office if you move, change emails or phone numbers, etc., or you could be removed. There's always the threat of status being removed. Who wants to live the rest of their lives like that? Just heard of the 6th person I know from an EU27 country is in the process of leaving the UK for good.

My argument is there should be a need to publicise the settled status scheme because there shouldn't be a settled status scheme in the first place. Both a fucking waste of money, and just widens divisions and increases insularity of the UK.

Not spending enough really.
The Application for Settle Status scheme was introduced late last year, so it is already a reality, and it's not a registration scheme either. You have to apply, and can be accepted, rejected, or granted pre-settled status, which is a kind of limbo status. If you look at the thread here about EU nationals, you'll see some of the anxiety it is causing already because well, lots of British people have parents, partners, children, work colleagues, neighbours, friends, etc. who are citizens of the other 27 EU countries. Even if they've lived here for decades, own property, have businesses, etc., they could be thrown out. Even if that's not likely, knowing that some stuff shirt in the Home Office can determine your fate with a keystroke is likely to be anxiety-inducing. Once you've been given settled-status, you have to inform the Home Office if you move, change emails or phone numbers, etc., or you could be removed. There's always the threat of status being removed. Who wants to live the rest of their lives like that? Just heard of the 6th person I know from an EU27 country is in the process of leaving the UK for good.

My argument is there should be a need to publicise the settled status scheme because there shouldn't be a settled status scheme in the first place. Both a fucking waste of money, and just widens divisions and increases insularity of the UK.
I know.
It might still be irrelevant depending what Brexit is agreed on this year.

Reactions: CRI
Not spending enough really.

I know.
It might still be irrelevant depending what Brexit is agreed on this year.
I get what you mean - like having more lifeboats on the Titanic, when it shouldn't have hit the iceberg in the first place. :(

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has a car, especially an old one that often needs new parts, and goes to a local mechanic, but hey . . .

Up to 1,000 vehicle repair companies could collapse within 2 weeks of a no-deal Brexit

The UK vehicle crash repair industry — which is comprised of around 3,000 companies and employs an estimated 35,000 people nationwide — relies heavily on car parts imported through "just in time" supply chains.
The minutes from the meeting reveal that any slowdown of car parts entering the UK at the border would force thousands of companies to cancel repairs, leaving them without cash to stay afloat.
In some cases, dealerships from where repairers get car parts have up to three days worth of stock, and some vehicles can be repaired without using parts from abroad. However, these exceptions account for around just 3% of repairs.

Huge depots somewhere in Europe presumably.

And yes, they could be established here but it will take time and cost money.

Alex
Yeah I'd expect they're mostly made in China or elsewhere in the far East.

Like most things, if the UK leaves with no deal there'll be disruption for a bit while things are scaled up to cope with the new customs requirements.

It will still be possible to get car parts imported though. The way some are going off you'd think the borders were being closed in perpetuity.

No no, you only have to believe everything will be fine and it will be fine. Post Brexit garages will just look something like this:

upload_2019-3-11_14-3-19-png.164169

i'll say one thing for brexit, the quality of acid afterwards will be astonishing

Back
Top Bottom