Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish Anarchist Group Workers's Solidarity Movement to Disband - Breaking

Ah man that's a shame, they have put out some excellent stuff over the years and had a very decent sized following on Facebook and the like.

Is there some background to this beyond a slowly decreasing relevance and numbers of people interested? From a geographically and politically detached position they've always seemed pretty sound and active?

Yeah, will be interested to see if they, or rather the ex-members, put out more detailed reflections on what happened at some point. Does Flood still write much? I remember his stuff as usually being worth reading, but now I look him up, seems like his last post on what I think of as his blog was December 2019.

If anyone can't wait, and wants to dive into stuff about the history of the WSM and its debates now, here's one starting point:

He has been prolific during covid, writing and doing something called the plague tapes.

It’s very sad to see the wsm disbanded, when I was in Dublin I didn’t always agree with them eg grassroots gathering but they were fucking audacious in ways the Trotskyist left were not (I speak from experience) their garden of delight was awesome and their work around countering SPUC and advocating for choice was outstanding.

I wonder if Gregor is still around?

Apparently the Irish Left Archive podcast did an interview with a WSMer a few weeks back:

Not listened to it so I dunno if it contains much along the lines of "btw we're going to dissolve in a few weeks." Wee bit of discussion in the comments here:

He has been prolific during covid, writing and doing something called the plague tapes.

It’s very sad to see the wsm disbanded, when I was in Dublin I didn’t always agree with them eg grassroots gathering but they were fucking audacious in ways the Trotskyist left were not (I speak from experience) their garden of delight was awesome and their work around countering SPUC and advocating for choice was outstanding.

I wonder if Gregor is still around?

Gregor is still around. Most recently he put in a strong campaign for the INTO presidentency elections with over 9,000 votes.

The new newsletter from Organise has a brief note on it:

The Class War dissolution statement/paper was an excellent reflection as well. Had a big impact on me as a youngster. There's probably a better version online somewhere but on a quick look there's this:

Just read it there. I really like this level of honesty.

If I read it as a youngster I would have completely dismissed the 'State of the Left' article but with older eyes I can see some very relevant points.

Reactions: LDC
The Dublin Anarchist Bookfair takes place this coming Saturday 20 May, 2023 at the Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Square, Dublin 1.

For those who haven't been there before there's a nice bar upstairs

The Dublin Anarchist Bookfair takes place this coming Saturday 20 May, 2023 at the Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Square, Dublin 1.

Who’s got stalls?

Back
Top Bottom