Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside the hate factory: how Facebook fuels far-right profit - Guardian

editor

hiraethified
Facebook has done more damage to democracy than you'll ever imagine

A Guardian investigation can reveal those messages were part of a covert plot to control some of Facebook’s largest far-right pages, including one linked to a rightwing terror group, and create a commercial enterprise that harvests Islamophobic hate for profit.

This group is now using its 21-page network to churn out more than 1,000 coordinated faked news posts per week to more than 1 million followers, funnelling audiences to a cluster of 10 ad-heavy websites and milking the traffic for profit.

Inside the hate factory: how Facebook fuels far-right profit

I work in events and always thought the same but have since ditched it.

No Facebook and no Sun/Mail/Telegraph or other hate media.

Ticket sales have not dropped.
Difference is that you have a budget for promotion. I have none and all alternative channels involve payment. It's really not a valid comparison anyway. What events are you promoting?

There's a reason why almost every single band, artist, club and venue uses Facebook, crock of cunty evil shit that it is.

Difference is that you have a budget for promotion. I have none and all alternative channels involve payment. It's really not a valid comparison anyway. What events are you promoting?

There's a reason why almost every single band, artist, club and venue uses Facebook, crock of cunty evil shit that it is.
All types of events from 10 people to 100k

I tell the organiser that I don't support hate speech. Have lost some business but mostly companies are supportive.

All types of events from 10 people to 100k

I tell the organiser that I don't support hate speech. Have lost some business but mostly companies are supportive.
Sorry are you suggesting that I 'support hate speech' by virtue of being compelled to use Facebook seeing as I have no promotional budget?
Loads of human rights groups use Facebook too. Like me, they see it a necessary evil, but congrats on having an understanding boss.

Sorry are you suggesting that I 'support hate speech' by virtue of being compelled to use Facebook seeing as I have no promotional budget?
Loads of human rights groups use Facebook too. Like me, they see it a necessary evil, but congrats on having an understanding boss.
These are all fair points

Sometimes Facebook ads are damned creepy too. About a month ago I got a garden catalog from an obscure specialty garden supply. When I got the catalog, I was busy with class work, so I set it aside. Yesterday I filed my last project, so I thought I'd catch up with the mail and picked up the garden supply catalog to read. An hour later, I went over to Facebook and up popped an advertisement for that company featuring the catalog that I had just had in my hand. At no time did I do a Google search for that company or anything garden related. Creepy as F.

'Facebook, crock of cunty evil shit that it is.'

Best definition ever, specially after this nightmare of election results we just had.

What to do about the 'lying for big money' social media? Will it get worse? Help!

Back
Top Bottom