Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Industrial Music - the showdown!!!

Who bangs your head?

• Total voters
Controlled Bleeding :cool:

Indeed - major omission from the poll! Sort yerself out Paulie! :mad: CB were a funny one in that they often wore their influences on their sleeve, but then did brilliantly original beautiful music, when they eased off on the noise and brought Joe Papa's amazing Russian Orthodox-influenced vocals to the fore, all ice-cold grand-guignol horror-beauty. 'Songs from the Scourging Ground' is a classic LP, all the way through.

Anyway, in the absence of Controlled Bleeding, I voted Swans as I still play them quite often now, and it's been fascinating for me to see them develop such a different, more gentle, sound, while still being so clearly the product of the same hugely distinctive musical mind. I really like the new 'Angels of Light'.

Did anyone go to the legendary Einsturzende Neubauten gig at the ICA where they drilled holes in the floor and caused a riot?

Indeed - major omission from the poll! Sort yerself out Paulie! :mad: CB were a funny one in that they often wore their influences on their sleeve, but then did brilliantly original beautiful music, when they eased off on the noise and brought Joe Papa's amazing Russian Orthodox-influenced vocals to the fore, all ice-cold grand-guignol horror-beauty. 'Songs from the Scourging Ground' is a classic LP, all the way through.

Anyway, in the absence of Controlled Bleeding, I voted Swans as I still play them quite often now, and it's been fascinating for me to see them develop such a different, more gentle, sound, while still being so clearly the product of the same hugely distinctive musical mind. I really like the new 'Angels of Light'.

Yeah. I've only heard Penetration, but it appears they did many albums. Actually Penetration is another that I bought in the early 90s, then shoved to the back of my collection, then re-listened to it quite recently and really dug it.

Nitzer Ebb, Electronic Body Music, Belgian Nu-beat...its all coming flooding back :)

s'funny you mentioned tackhead and mark stewart cos i did consider sticking them in as well but ultimately thought pretty much the same re: fundamentally different in many ways, yet so close in so many others.

when did it get called industrial? i reckon when spk & EN & TD started hammering lumps of metal iirc but my memory isn't as reliable as it used to be (and it was never that good anyway :D)

Good question, so i looked it up.

Industrial music is a loose term for a number of different styles of experimental music, especially but not necessarily electronic music. The term was first used in the mid-1970s to describe the then-unique sound of Industrial Records artists. Since then, an extremely wide variety of labels and artists have since come to be called "Industrial."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music

Naturally nothing on wiki should be considered definitive, but its a start.

Industrial Records was a record label established in 1976 by art/music group Throbbing Gristle. The group, fronted by Genesis P-Orridge, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Chris Carter, and Peter Christopherson were to release their experiments in non-entertainment sound and multimedia through the label; in addition to a host of other artists on the periphery of the music business.The label gave a name to the industrial music genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Records

So it's down to Throbbing Gristle.

when did it get called industrial? i reckon when spk & EN & TD started hammering lumps of metal iirc but my memory isn't as reliable as it used to be (and it was never that good anyway :D)

yea, that's kind of what i think.

i remember my mate, larry peterson, used to do a column in sounds called 'lonely planet' around 1983 and i'm pretty sure it wasn't called industrial then.

i do remember the term 'miserabilist' from the misic papers around 1980/81 or in regards to cabaret voltaire and folk who used to wear long coats etc which is a look i remember from going to se ACR and other bands like that back then.

NB: meat beat manifesto emerged a good ten years or so after SPK etc and at least 7 or eight after test dept and neubauten BTW.

strange innit, they're out in front at the mo :confused:

yea, but that's cos they probably represent what people rergard as 'industrial' now, which IMO is pasically post-goth MTV generation noisy electronic music with guitars for folk who dress in black PVC trousers and wear those big 'gene simmons' boots you get on camden high st.

or as i said in my first post most definately not and this is just GPO doing his usual trying to get credit for people drinking water type schtick. the fact their label was called 'industrial records' was almost an appendage to the genre being termed, which i'm pretty sure was around the time test dept, neubauten and SPK started doing all that metal bashing malarkey.

NB: first became aware of laibach around 1984 when they brought out a boxed set thing and played in london. which i'd say was around the height of the PTV/TOPY thang.

Ministry in front made me vote (something i've never done before).

Ministry are shit.

SWANS (although a great band) are not Industrial (they're a rock band). Suicide are more Industrial (they're the original urban sound).

What about :Zoviet*France: you fuckers? recording the sound of stones in a washing machine back in 81 or something...?

fucking ministry, jesus.

Land of Rape and Honey was alright, preferred 1000 homo djs.

but it ain't bleedin' industrial.

and neither is MC 900 Ft Jesus.

yeh but how cool is that that they're neck and neck with TG eh? :cool: :confused:

i was including mr j so we could include the revco's as well, a bit like TG/PTV. didn't expect the fucker to win the vote like........

miserabilist :D i think i have vague recollections of such genres and writings.

lard was good too... in fact, their side projects are generally superior.

but it ain't bleedin' industrial.
unfortunately it isn't you that gets to define what 'industrial' means, music-wise. ministry are industrial, just a different branch than the stuff you like...

:oops: *bows in the presence of industrial genius*

fark off. i listened to some controlled bleeding when RD posted the name and they're a bit poncey tbh. i like my industrial proper hardcore, noisy things and proper attitude and that, just like you :cool: but you are correct that swans are/were cool, loudest noise that i've ever heard.

Electronic Body Music :)
now you've got me listening to this :cool:

4971_1.JPG

:oops: *bows in the presence of industrial genius*

fark off. i listened to some controlled bleeding when RD posted the name and they're a bit poncey tbh. i like my industrial proper hardcore, noisy things and proper attitude and that, just like you :cool: but you are correct that swans are/were cool, loudest noise that i've ever heard.

:(

Another anti-vote from me for shitty Ministry. I'd have The Young Gods and Cop Shoot Cop on there ahead of them.

:mad::( @ PaulieT.

Back
Top Bottom