Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Industrial Music - the showdown!!!

Who bangs your head?

• Total voters
yea, seems industrial means all things to all people from some of the bands listed here.

jut rmembered i've got a 7" box set called the dignity of labour and a few albums by dutch band The Ex which is basically ALL metal bashine, very very similar to early test dept and must have come out around 1982 or 83 but they were never regarded as 'industrial' - in fact they were always regarded as 'anarcho punk' :confused:

and although i think they're a pair of cocks i'd say monte cazazza and boyd rice would also be worthy of inclusion if only for their early recordings.

but, isn't everyone forgetting something? -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtPa_IoDv8

and although i think they're a pair of cocks i'd say monte cazazza and boyd rice would also be worthy of inclusion if only for their early recordnings.

good call.

What was that Cazazza record with the mic'ed up motorbike exhaust? ( i may be well off here..)

good call.

What was that Cazazza record with the mic'ed up motorbike exhaust? ( i may be well off here..)

woah!! you mean jordi vallis' VAGINA DENTATA ORGAN project on WSO ?

his stuff's quality.

but, though a signifiucant and criminally neglected figure in the whole 'industrial' set up, i dont know if you would term his recordings 'industrial' or even 'music' , though i'd rather listen to his work than most of the bands listed above.

now you've got me listening to this :cool:

4971_1.JPG
EBM thread here:
http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=266423

woah!! you mean jordi vallis' VAGINA DENTATA ORGAN project on WSO ?

his stuff's quality.

but, though a signifiucant and criminally neglected figure in the whole 'industrial' set up, i dont know if you would term his recordings 'industrial' or even 'music' , though i'd rather listen to his work than most of the bands listed above.

Yeah, that's the one :)

you need to track down paul meme's ambient industrial mix from a few years ago clyde (called 'the first taste of hope is fear'). jeff probably still has it - unfortunately the computer of mine it was on is dead, :(

I can't be arsed listening to any of it any more, but probably TG.

In terms of the origin, Monte Cazazza apparently came up with the slogan "Industrial Music For Industrial People" which inspired the name "Industrial Records", which started in 1976 iirc.

Dunno when it caught on as a "genre" and presumably every single person involved refused to describe themselves as an "industrial band" because we're all individuals maaaaaaaaaaan.

Best live act out of the ones I've seen:

Coil / Einsturzende Neubauten / Ministry / Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel / Swans / Test Department / Throbbing Gristle* / Whitehouse

Would be Test Dept tho. Absolutely amazing.

*But only saw them as the pseudo "TG Ltd" i.e. Gen and some mates circa 1988.

I've seen Test Dept twice. Once at a Hawkwind technicolour dreamshow thing at Brixton Academy in 1993 where they were awesome and once in the Que Club in Birmingham in 1995 where they were let down by a crap PA.

Yeah I saw them a few times, the first being 87 or thereabouts at the Hackney Empire - benefit for the striking print workers at Wapping.

I think me and a mate had come up to town to see Julian Cope :oops: but it was sold out so I suggested an alternative...

I thought their dancier stuff was a bit shit on vinyl (except for the 12" with leon brittan on the cover) but they really did it well live.

i loved Test Dept, the Unacceptable Face of Freedom album was a stunner and i enjoyed Pax Brittanica a lot as well.

i agree that they were a treat live, i have vague memories of a couple of festies they did, Urban Free Festie being one iirc?

Back
Top Bottom