Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Industrial Music - the showdown!!!

Who bangs your head?

• Total voters
Well, he did make an album with Disposable Heroes, progeny of Beatnigs, who could be termed industrial0lite perhaps. And the Wilner recording Dead City Radio is brilliant stuff and again verging on the edges of the poll options imo. And there were the Giorno recordings as well so old William S could certainly lay claim to being a granddaddy of industrial music.

But not ACTUALLY an industrial band. Which was my point :p

Pure had really dodgy content too. I think even Bennet is a bit embarassed about him now

yea, i can believe that, but the stuff in Pure is just so over the top and sort of infantile i don't really see how anyone can regard it as anything other than funny as fuck or trash.

i'd imagine anyone involved with that scene with it's generic death camps and serial killers iconography is a bit fuckin embarassed by it 25 odd years on , but isn't everyone by stuff when they were young and thought 'pushing the boundaries of what is regarded as acceptable' or whatever pretence it was ascribed, was even a worthwhile persuit. i know i cringe at stuff i wrote and released back then.

by the way, re this poll, i'd go for whitehouse as they have consistently produced works i've enjoyed since the mid 80s, plus TG obviously, SPK, Einsturnzende Neubauten errr...can't really remember who else is on the list. Don't think maurizio Bianchi or Lustmord are on it but i liked/like their stuff too.
Also Ramleh, Consumer electronics and others im sure. incapacitants and geregerogegege are pretty mental too, though not exactly 'seminal' in the genre.

think the notable thing about most of the bands above and on the poll is just how different from each other most sound. innovators are always the best, copyists and johnny come latelys are invariably crap.

never really heard much Coil as i knew a guy who was well into them who was a dick and that always kind of put me off at the time, but know a lot of folk who speak highly of them so i probably should give them more of a listen. saw them in hackney a few years ago and didnt think much of it tho.

off to check that poll out again.

what about meat beat manifesto? for some reason, they jumped into my mind reading all that. jack dangers could certainly be said to be ahead of the game in many ways imo.

what about meat beat manifesto? for some reason, they jumped into my mind reading all that. jack dangers could certainly be said to be ahead of the game in many ways imo.

hmmm...a bit funky to be classed as 'industrial' tho, no?

really liked a lot of their stuff, stuff like one of the mixes of psyche out (bronze-y cover) , strap down and some others are well mental if played out loud. good dance music but not sure if it's say it was 'industrial'. :)

similarily, tackhead/maffia were pretty 'industrial' but again too funky and not really of the same aesthetic.

Meat Beat Manifesto were part of that wave of bands - along with bands like Caberet Voltaire - that kind of straddled the industrial/EBM and electro scenes as it turned into early rave music. The Funky Alternatives compilations sort of follow that trend, starting off with stuff like DAF and 23 Skidoo on the first ones and ending up with Orbital and MBM on the later ones. Not really much in common with stuff like Ministry or Whitehouse (who have very little in common with each other).

It's all so confusing :D

Satyricon is still one of my favourite albums from the early 90s :cool:

haha, yea, i love 23 skidoo's mid 80s funky stuff coup/assassins and even some of seven songs etc but their wanky ritual music and crappy early stuff i can't stand.

in fact i think i'll put their early records up on ebay tonight :)

over & out

I remember being into Nitzer Ebb yonks ago. Not sure if the purists would class them as industrial though.

wouldn'ty really myself, but you could say 'metal bashing' n stuff was quite a big part of the industrial aesthetic per se as that's pretty much where the term came from when you got einsturnzende and SPK doing all that stuff in early 80s.

NB; and NOT from throbbing gristle as loads of folk who weren't around at that time may claim. noone called that sort of stuff 'industrial music' till spk etc came along.

or am i talking total shite? i really cannot remember if there was any great genre term for stuff like 23 skidoo, cabs, TG, DAF when they were all going even tho that was pretty much the sort of thing that, along with crass, i was into at the time. :confused:

I thought NE and Caberet Volitaire, Front 242 Meat Beat Manifesto...ect were all industrial,

They certainley were called that (back in the day)...

Nitzer Ebb, Electronic Body Music, Belgian Nu-beat...its all coming flooding back :)

s'funny you mentioned tackhead and mark stewart cos i did consider sticking them in as well but ultimately thought pretty much the same re: fundamentally different in many ways, yet so close in so many others.

when did it get called industrial? i reckon when spk & EN & TD started hammering lumps of metal iirc but my memory isn't as reliable as it used to be (and it was never that good anyway :D)

Nitzer Ebb, Electronic Body Music, Belgian Nu-beat...its all coming flooding back :)

s'funny you mentioned tackhead and mark stewart cos i did consider sticking them in as well but ultimately thought pretty much the same re: fundamentally different in many ways, yet so close in so many others.

when did it get called industrial? i reckon when spk & EN & TD started hammering lumps of metal iirc but my memory isn't as reliable as it used to be (and it was never that good anyway :D)

EBM and Nu-Beat were much more fun than industrial

EBM and Nu-Beat were much more fun than industrial
do you think? i thought they could be equally po-faced tbh. depends how seriously you took it all really i suppose.

eta: for eg, i can remember going and seeing godflesh at the garage and it was so loud and so intense and so overpowering, the only thing you could do was laugh about it :)

do you think? i thought they could be equally po-faced tbh. depends how seriously you took it all really i suppose.

EBM and New Beat were both really kinds of dance music, often gloomy and moody, but music to dance to anyway. Industrial's more about being harsh and provocative and meaningful and stuff like than than shaking yer booty.

You can dance to Front 242 or Nitzer Ebb, by try getting down to TG's 2nd Annual Report :D

loads of tg is dance music though - 5 knuckle shuffle is essentially minimal techno (as is hot on the heels of love come to think of it)... loads of neubauten's stuff has a disco beat, same with laibach... ministry & foetus essentially made harsh electro in the early days.

sure, there was loads of sinister noisy shit in there too, but plenty to dance to. :)

I'm a fairly recent convert to Maurizio Bianchi
big Coil, Swans fan of old

I wouldn't put Ministry up there

loads of tg is dance music though - 5 knuckle shuffle is essentially minimal techno (as is hot on the heels of love come to think of it)... loads of neubauten's stuff has a disco beat, same with laibach... ministry & foetus essentially made harsh electro in the early days.

sure, there was loads of sinister noisy shit in there too, but plenty to dance to. :)
Your right, you know.

Hot on the Heels of Love could almost be a Carl Craig tune.

And Ministry's early stuff wasn't even that harsh:

Your right, you know.

Hot on the Heels of Love could almost be a Carl Craig tune.

And Ministry's early stuff wasn't even that harsh:

craig did a decent re-edit of hot on the heels of love a couple of years back... the dj hell version isn't half bad either, come to think of it.

i got a beggars banquet comp from 1981 with the first ministry single on it the other week... i was somewhat suprised at what they sounded like. :D

my mate tells me they were pushed into that sound by the record company, although that could easily just be jourgensen covering his tracks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom