Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Industrial music and its relationship(??) to fascism

lol vatican shadow doing a berghain mix which is allegedly a tribute to the spirit of 90s rave mixtapes but no chicago or midwest techno on there whatever. this guy is just sub-par afx under his prurient guise isn't he?

And it's always the same 5 industrial bands. why's that? i thought they were supposed to be against the rock band fetish? the soon as you say tg is bait in 2019 it's like insulting pink floyd in the 70s.

I was at a festival with a Cold Spring stall last summer, there was loads of nazi shit in their racks. Didn't realise they were quite so blatant... have seen a number of people calling them out recently, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of reckoning soon.

When did it stop being a thing in punk circles? Swastika armbands more a device to annoy the parents/establishment back in the day rather than any specific far right sympathies IIRC.

I was at a festival with a Cold Spring stall last summer, there was loads of nazi shit in their racks. Didn't realise they were quite so blatant... have seen a number of people calling them out recently, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of reckoning soon.

I've not seen an advert from them in The Wire magazine for a good while.

I remember people being annoyed when Skullflower released an album with them, ho ho.

He's walked a bit of a tightrope with this stuff - just enough credible artists like Z'ev, Penny Rimbaud and Coil to keep the money rolling in and most people off his back.

Oh I just remembered that Cold Spring did a Merzbow / Sun Ra collaboration album which no doubt will be used by fanboys to suggest that they aren't racist. Bit weird doing a collaboration with someone who is dead though, it's not like you can ask them if they want to be on the same label as Troy Southgate and Sutcliffe Jugend...

I remember once being a bit annoyed to find out my mam had binned my Fucked on a Pile of Corpses t-shirt when I left a bag of washing around hers (she had previous for such things so I should of known better).

Fair play mam.

I was interested to see an exchange about the Skullflower/Raw Power situation (on twitter of course) between Michael Kasparis of Night School Records and Penance Stare, a NE experimental black metal project: Kasparis expressed his frustration that Raw Power needed to be told that Skullflower were dodgy, and went on to regret that he once owned some Non records.

I saw Kasparis last year, playing in the band of Rose Mcdowall, who is on Night School Records. Mcdowall has over the years collaborated with the cream of the grey area neofolk & industrial lot: Death in June, Sol Invictus & Boyd Rice, as well as many of the less controversial end of that scene. Fully half of the records available from the merch stall were Mcdowall & Rice collabs...

I was interested to see an exchange about the Skullflower/Raw Power situation (on twitter of course) between Michael Kasparis of Night School Records and Penance Stare, a NE experimental black metal project: Kasparis expressed his frustration that Raw Power needed to be told that Skullflower were dodgy, and went on to regret that he once owned some Non records.

I saw Kasparis last year, playing in the band of Rose Mcdowall, who is on Night School Records. Mcdowall has over the years collaborated with the cream of the grey area neofolk & industrial lot: Death in June, Sol Invictus & Boyd Rice, as well as many of the less controversial end of that scene. Fully half of the records available from the merch stall were Mcdowall & Rice collabs...

It's a real problem with the scene I think. There is just a real lack of critical faculties seemingly anywhere. It's all based on aesthetics, hipness and personal relationships (whether actual ones or "X act now features on Y act's album/label") but pretends to be deeper than that.

I remember raging about this stuff in the 90s and people were shocked, it was like I was spoiling their game.

Also I suspect there is a bit of performative shock so that the attention isn't directed at you...

It's a real problem with the scene I think. There is just a real lack of critical faculties seemingly anywhere. It's all based on aesthetics, hipness and personal relationships (whether actual ones or "X act now features on Y act's album/label") but pretends to be deeper than that.

R-506009-1344098496-4996.jpeg.jpg

They’re behind you!

How have Cold Spring got away with it for so long? Is it because there's so few people doing proper distribution? These scumbags have been here all along.

How have Cold Spring got away with it for so long? Is it because there's so few people doing proper distribution? These scumbags have been here all along.

It's the label to sign to, the place to get your stuff out there, the man who will book an ad in your mag and send you promos... and yes they have a few dodgy signings but look also Z'ev and HE is JEWISH. And Justin is a lovely friendly guy, wouldn't hurt a fly, good fun, been in the game for years. It's not political it's art. Oh well yes those ones were nazis, but look he has also released Coil and THEY were GAY.

Perhaps also it's still a tiny scene - Cold Spring got in early and haven't gone bust yet, so they've got an impressive back catalogue and a lot of contacts. I don't think they're much more than a couple of guys with a van and a storage unit though.

Perhaps also it's still a tiny scene - Cold Spring got in early and haven't gone bust yet, so they've got an impressive back catalogue and a lot of contacts. I don't think they're much more than a couple of guys with a van and a storage unit though.

It's one man, later joined by his partner. I suspect that's one of the reasons they've remained solvent.

Man with a van. That's it think it. Pathetic isn't it

It's the biggest distributor of this kind of music in the country, but it's not really operating at a much higher level than a car boot sale stall, lets be honest.

I'm def going to get a van. And learn to drive.

tbh when we set up a bookshop down here i did not realise the way distribution works. I thought we just bought a load of books from the publisher.

Back
Top Bottom