Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Immigration and the "racist thickos"

Mation

real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold
I've seen a lot today of people condemning people who voted to leave the EU as racist and thick. To me it seems as though this is how we got here in the first place; middle class people and people doing reasonably well ignoring what the poorest people are saying about their lives with the result that some turn to the likes of UKIP.

I'm not an economist. Can anyone tell me anything about how valid this study on the effect of immigration on wage distribution is? It finds that immigration has either no or a slight positive effect on wages for most people, especially those in the highest 40%, but a negative effect for people in the lowest 20% earnings bracket. I don't know where the authors are coming from or have the ability to assess their model.

This is the study:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctpb21/Cpapers/Review of Economic Studies-2013-Dustmann-145-73.pdf

I would hope that anyone who knows me understands that I'm not that fond of racism or xenophobia ;)

If the analysis is accurate, I would not support ending or changing immigration as a solution.

But I would want employment law that didn't allow the kind of shit conditions that mean employers can drive down wages and conditions to a point where only people from a worse situation can afford to accept them. I would think it's possible to address the issue without going the UKIP way.

butchersapron ?

I've seen a lot today of people condemning people who voted to leave the EU as racist and thick. To me it seems as though this is how we got here in the first place; middle class people and people doing reasonably well ignoring what the poorest people are saying about their lives with the result that some turn to the likes of UKIP.

I'm not an economist. Can anyone tell me anything about how valid this study on the effect of immigration on wage distribution is? It finds that immigration has either no or a slight positive effect on wages for most people, especially those in the highest 40%, but a negative effect for people in the lowest 20% earnings bracket. I don't know where the authors are coming from or have the ability to assess their model.

This is the study:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctpb21/Cpapers/Review of Economic Studies-2013-Dustmann-145-73.pdf

I would hope that anyone who knows me understands that I'm not that fond of racism or xenophobia ;)

If the analysis is accurate, I would not support ending or changing immigration as a solution.

But I would want employment law that didn't allow the kind of shit conditions that mean employers can drive down wages and conditions to a point where only people from a worse situation can afford to accept them. I would think it's possible to address the issue without going the UKIP way.

butchersapron ?
Ta for the nod mation - i'm not going to be in a fit state to reply properly tonight, but it's been well established for many years that the way immigration has been managed by capital has has a massive effect on unskilled or low skilled labour whilst the business owners make money off migrants as they take advantage of competition - so we have self-employed trad workers and basic wage labourers getting hit. It's the capitalist use of immigration that is the problem. How to address it politically is the absolute key right now - it's only going to be from workers and the communities they make and are part of themselves. I'll try and come back on this after the rugby tmw morning.

Tbh Mation it's about more than wages e.g. housing and 'culture' and religion and food. Not sure you can reduce concerns, legitimate or otherwise, to wages

Anyway it's never immigrants who drive down wages but bosses
Yes, absolutely. That's why I wouldn't support curbs on immigration but laws to make sure bosses can't be unscrupulous shits.

Ta for the nod mation - i'm not going to be in a fit state to reply properly tonight, but it's been well established for many years that the way immigration has been managed by capital has has a massive effect on unskilled or low skilled labour whilst the business owners make money off migrants as they take advantage of competition - so we have self-employed trad workers and basic wage labourers getting hit. It's the capitalist use of immigration that is the problem. How to address it politically is the absolute key right now - it's only going to be from workers and the communities they make and are part of themselves. I'll try and come back on this after the rugby tmw morning.
Thank you :)

the Good thing is if the country tanks

migrates will stop wanting to come to England

*happy dance*

Bosses have always been unscrupulous shits
Fuck off, I ended up reluctantly being an employer and a landlord due to legislation ( care in the communities act, 93) all I have received is worry, uncertainty and a debilitating dose of IBS, had to make four people redundant recently,including our neice, you think that was a pleasant experience?? do try to think before posting unpleasant generalisations.
Twat.

Been a weird day. ;) Last night, I was firmly of the opinion that there was no such thing as 'Lexit'. It doesn't just exist because you want it to. I was an abstainer because I couldn't bring myself to vote for the EU. But today, I see that Lexit has to exist, for the reasons put in the OP really, because it bloody has to.

I am both pissed off and also seeing new possibilities, if that makes sense.

It is a heart-warming sight to see pigfucker resign. There was stuff to smile at today. :)

Fuck off, I ended up reluctantly being an employer and a landlord due to legislation ( care in the communities act, 93) all I have received is worry, uncertainty and a debilitating dose of IBS, had to make four people redundant recently,including our neice, you think that was a pleasant experience?? do try to think before posting unpleasant generalisations.
Twat.
ETA, should have read "we" in the first paragraph.

Twat.

Reluctantly & in your situation isn't boss class ffs

Back
Top Bottom