Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Idiocracy was a documentary/prophecy", and other elitist nonsense

I think different people have a different bar for how many logical inconsistencies they can handle in a comedy etc.
I think that depends on how good the film is to be honest, there were a hell of a lot more logical inconsistencies in Monty Python and The Holy Grail than there were in Idiocracy but the Holy Grail was so much better a film that I was willing to be more forgiving of them.

I think that depends on how good the film is to be honest, there were a hell of a lot more logical inconsistencies in Monty Python and The Holy Grail than there were in Idiocracy but the Holy Grail was so much better a film that I was willing to be more forgiving of them.

Fair point. Also v. different kind of film.

Both Ed Dutton and Richard Spencer discuss it on YouTube for obviously grim reasons. Worth being reminded that advocates of race theory are as keen to find a solution to the unfit as well as to the other

Wasn’t their a graphic novel/comic in the 50s with a similar premise? (ETA - Cyril M. Kornbluth’s The Marching Morons)

Last edited:
There is a self deprecatory note in that the protagonist is just an ordinary joe in the land of the moron future, but really, that's the concept run with iirc. Its been a while also. I don't think he's anything approaching fash either, I rate Hank Hill as intrinsically funnier than Homer Simpson as a character, the show has more heart than simpsons overall. But that's still an ABC of social darwinism done with a wink isn't it

Sorry but what's social darwinist about King of the Hill?

In other news, I've read that there is a re-launch of KOTH in the works, set to take place where Bobby et al have all grown up.

In other news, I've read that there is a re-launch of KOTH in the works, set to take place where Bobby et al have all grown up.
God I hope he doesn't fuck it up. KOTH when it was good - and it was good for a very long time - was as good as anything has ever been, imo. The later serieses are a bit weaker but I don't think it was ever terrible.

Saw this video come up in my YouTube feed, and I think it eloquently describes the problems with Idiocracy as a social commentary:

Or rather, it's lack of social commentary. The video points out that the heavily eugenicist implications laid out by the film's opening continue throughout. The video also examines how the film frequently conflates stupidity with a lack of empathy, and that rather than being prophetic, the film is in fact a sterling example of mid-00s liberal smugness. I agree that Mike Judge did not consciously set out to create a piece of eugenicist propaganda, and he demonstrates in King of The Hill that he's capable of doing a much better job of dealing with characters having reactionary opinions.

Back
Top Bottom