Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Hislop and Private Eye

if you hear of an organ willing to accept angry pissheads who bang out 70% mickey taking and 30% analysis then let me know.

No you are quite wry, you always have a witty put down or aphorism. Maybe you should consider stand up comedy.

I have a blog Wordisweopnary.com

Largely populated by proper writers. IE those that don't actually write.

The Eye attacks corruption wherever it sees it. So it will investigate and attack corrupt trade union leaders as much as it will politicians and business heads. I think you could call it a champion of democracy in general.

It's got a lot on PFI as well, I've learnt loads from it.

Yeah exactly - and when Private Eye showed how the government - which happened to be a Labour government - was wasting tens of billions of pounds of public money on PFI scemes which were designed to enrich private businesses, surely it was defending the interests of the "working classes"?

The Eye attacks corruption wherever it sees it. So it will investigate and attack corrupt trade union leaders as much as it will politicians and business heads. I think you could call it a champion of democracy in general.

i would agree with that - just because Hislop is a creep licking up Camerons arse it doesn't mean the mag is shite - it's usually the case with other publications but not here - obviously the writers have more credibility than the editor

Who writes Private Eye now anyway? I know David Sexton used to write a lot of the book reviews, and Francis Wheen wrote a lot too. But I don't know who writes most of it these days.

What's this then?

Not sure myself, issue 951 from 1998 had a lot of stuff in it about emperor Akihito. Although my PE sub didn't get delivered last week so I've no idea if it's in the current edition for whatever reason.

Edit: Al Fayed makes much more sense, I expected they'd go to town on that odious shitbag this fortnight. I have to wonder who'd still be prepared to kill for him at this stage now that the cat's well and truly out of the bag.

I used to buy Private Eye in the 1970s, but then I stopped buying it for many years after it ran a front cover making fun of the death of a member of the IRA who died on hunger strike in prison in Britain.

'Heard what he believed to be a bullet.' So maybe it wasn't.

Would you track someone, wait for them to get into a taxi, then follow them on foot or car and shoot in their general direction? Surely there would be better opportunities beforehand.

Or maybe someone who really didn't like him just happened to see him in the taxi, and had a gun on them. But that scenario doesn't seem all that likely to me.

Would you track someone, wait for them to get into a taxi, then follow them on foot or car and shoot in their general direction? Surely there would be better opportunities beforehand.

Or maybe someone who really didn't like him just happened to see him in the taxi, and had a gun on them. But that scenario doesn't seem all that likely to me.

Certainly less likely than a randomly shooting nutter with an air rifle. Taxis in Soho are disproportionately likely to be occupied by senior media people.

Last edited:

Farting in someone's general direction is the approved riposte.

Back
Top Bottom