Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

So they go through your rubbish to check what's in it before deciding whether or not to take it?

At my new place they go through it to the extent of throwing it all over the street!

It's a strange street WRT rubbish, though - Victorian houses that have mostly been divided into flats, just two per house, narrow pavements so no bins allowed permanently on them, nowhere for communal bins, and no front gardens exactly, so what we have to do is just hang the rubbish on the railings. That means some people hang their rubbish out all week - can hardly blame the upstairs flats, with no garden; who wants smelly rubbish in their tiny flat all week? I can't think of a practicable solution though.

smokedout, loads of people on here have been broke parents, me included. Being broke doesn't mean you're allowed to litter. It wouldn't exactly be hard to just put the old buggy and the box right next to a bin so that it would probably be picked up within a day or two, rather than weeks next to the canal.

I walk the collie along a long straight fen drove and see numerous bags of dogshit, obviously people leaving it on the way outward part of the walk, promising themselves they will pick it up on the way back (which they don't). This is my charitable belief...and yet it would be so much better to simply kick the shit into the grass or even leave it to degrade...but placing it for posterity in a little black plastic bag? WTF.
Mousehold Heath, a lovely local resource in Norwich is also afflicted with trees festooned with dog bags...why? They have picked it up, bins aplenty and yet no, let's decorate a stately birch tree...

If they shyte in the long grass or amongst the trees leave it to nature, if they Shyte where people might step in it, pick it up and put it in a bin, the arseholes who make a show of scooping it up because they are being watched, then hoy it or hang it up on a branch when they think no ones looking! Worse than Hitler!

Probably been mentioned many time on this particular thread, but MC Donald's! 95% of roadside general litter around here has McD logo on it, just what us the attraction of this Shyte! Of all the soulless fast food takeaways in existence, McDs has got to be epicentre of fast food Shyte! Just what is the secret of its success?
I admit to be totally confounded:)

Being broke doesn't mean you're allowed to litter.

Yeah it does, in some circumstances. I dumped a fridge in the street once, where the fuck was l going to get £40 for the council to take it away. There was a dark time once when I left a trail of beer cans wherever I went. People have shit going on, theres worse things in the world than a bit of litter.

Yeah it does, in some circumstances. I dumped a fridge in the street once, where the fuck was l going to get £40 for the council to take it away. There was a dark time once when I left a trail of beer cans wherever I went. People have shit going on, theres worse things in the world than a bit of litter.

The fridge thing yeah, though unless you're an arsehole I assume you put it where it didn't block the pavement. The beer thing is to do with a problem with alcohol, not being broke. Lots of people do shitty things because of difficult circumstances, but the things they're doing are still shitty and should be avoided. And sometimes people do shitty things because they're arseholes.

Have you ever shopped in argos?

Amazingly, I have. And yes, they have (reluctantly) taken rubbish away - having just spent money in their store it makes them look a tad cuntish to refuse.

Look, you are arguing for the sake of it here...there is no excuse whatsoever to just dump stuff willy-nilly no matter how skint or child-encumbered you are (and yes, I have also been both). To simply leave your crap lying around is just unacceptable, inexcusable and arguing the toss for it just makes you look like one of those selfish pricks who really feels everyone else should defer to them. Oh, and it is not just about aesthetic principles...if you have ever seen the heartbreaking spectacle of a hedgehog stuck in an empty jar...or a bird trapped in a plastic bottle ring, you might feel it was not just some stuck up affectation to clean up after yourself.

there is no excuse whatsoever to just dump stuff willy-nilly no matter how skint or child-encumbered you are (and yes, I have also been both). To simply leave your crap lying around is just unacceptable, inexcusable and arguing the toss for it just makes you look like one of those selfish pricks who really feels everyone else should defer to them
A thousand times this.

Out of the various wildlife rescues I've dealt with, most have been the result of littering or were RTA victims.
The dog 5h1te bags hung up, or thrown in bushes, really annoy me - they cause problems. Bag it and bin it !
Recently there was a Bradgate Park deer autopsied, which had a large number of poo bags blocking the gut, in other cases the deer had starved.
Bradgate Park: Plastic poo bags found in deer's gut - BBC News
Carrier bags in seawater are another problem, leatherback turtles think they are catching a jellyfish to eat ... same result, blocked digestive system causing starvation.

On littering at places like mountain tops - you've just carried the full packaging up there, tale the empties home with you ...

Out of the various wildlife rescues I've dealt with, most have been the result of littering or were RTA victims.
The dog 5h1te bags hung up, or thrown in bushes, really annoy me - they cause problems. Bag it and bin it !
Recently there was a Bradgate Park deer autopsied, which had a large number of poo bags blocking the gut, in other cases the deer had starved.
Bradgate Park: Plastic poo bags found in deer's gut - BBC News
Carrier bags in seawater are another problem, leatherback turtles think they are catching a jellyfish to eat ... same result, blocked digestive system causing starvation.

On littering at places like mountain tops - you've just carried the full packaging up there, tale the empties home with you ...

Yep. Fucking plastic bags. Here's a holiday photo from last week. I got a free but kind of heartbreaking safari on the back of the rubbish truck that deposits a full load of day old fruit and veg on the dump outside of town every morning (its a town in Sri Lanka with a massive fruit and veg distribution market). The problem is its all in tied plastic bags, the wild elephants die from eating the plastic bags and nobody wants to talk about it, they just want you to go to the official nature reserve next door where its all pristine.
IMG_3636 (1).jpg

You must be living a charmed life if all it takes is a bit of fucking litter to set you off.

Not really Noxion...but on these boards, we talk a lot about agency and how we, as relatively powerless individuals can make any sort of difference to our environment, our communities, our general well-being...and one of the very simplest ways is to adopt a bit of civic pride, not leaving the tat of a consumerist lifestyle for some stressed public sector worker to deal with.

Probably been mentioned many time on this particular thread, but MC Donald's! 95% of roadside general litter around here has McD logo on it, just what us the attraction of this Shyte! Of all the soulless fast food takeaways in existence, McDs has got to be epicentre of fast food Shyte! Just what is the secret of its success?

It is a curious phenomenon that customers of said establishment seems to generate litter over and above its competitors, regardless of how far from their source you find it. I walk through a short stretch of park on my way to work each morning, which is very well served by litter bins, and there's almost always some litter there. A good proportion is from Subway, which is in close proximity, but I'd say at least as much from McDonalds, despite it being a great deal further away.

It is of course the customers who drop the litter, but there surely must be something in the business model and culture that makes them "outperform" other takeaway outlets in this regard.

I feel especially sad for the birds which frequent such establishments. Both Burger King and McD's seem to attract a loyal following of crows and jackdaws who have been seduced into the fast-food lifestyle...but more woeful corvids would be hard to find - shabby feathers, dull eyes, scaly feet.

Not really Noxion...but on these boards, we talk a lot about agency and how we, as relatively powerless individuals can make any sort of difference to our environment, our communities, our general well-being...and one of the very simplest ways is to adopt a bit of civic pride, not leaving the tat of a consumerist lifestyle for some stressed public sector worker to deal with.

So they can be an stressed unemployed ex-public sector worker you mean?

Amazingly, I have. And yes, they have (reluctantly) taken rubbish away - having just spent money in their store it makes them look a tad cuntish to refuse.

You just try getting them to accept a broken buggy at Catord Argos. Let us know how you get on.

Look, you are arguing for the sake of it here...there is no excuse whatsoever to just dump stuff willy-nilly no matter how skint or child-encumbered you are (and yes, I have also been both). To simply leave your crap lying around is just unacceptable, inexcusable and arguing the toss for it just makes you look like one of those selfish pricks who really feels everyone else should defer to them.

Who says it's unacceptable, especially in cities? I don't think that, lots of people I know don't think that. Its lazy and a bit anti-social perhaps, I try and avoid it myself, but sometimes theres a good reason as outlined in the possibly explanation for the buggy. I don't want some single parent half-killing themselves trying to drag a broken buggy home. I think that's unacceptable. I want decent street cleaners, on good wages, which we need anyway because a lot of litter is caused by accidents and weather. So who fucking put you in charge.

Dunno what you mean, Smokedout. Look, we all do bad shit - this is not a dig at you but I find it hard to see why you are defending this - of the many, many things which piss us off in everyday life, littering is one of the easiest things to avoid. And although it might seem trivial, it has deeper resonances - which areas get trashed...and why. How the problem escalates until it takes on a symbolic meaning into deeper discontents. Prejudice, bigotry, contempt. It is not just an empty crisp packet - it is the casual indifference to an environment which we all share.
And you are being a bit hyperbolic - 'some single parent half-killing themselves dragging a broken buggy'. Pour on the drama. pathetic.

I'm not defending it especially, I'm just saying that words like unacceptable or inexcuseable are a bit pompous for what is in reality a bit of mildly anti-social behaviour or laziness that is easily resolved by adequate public services. Stop councils charging a fortune to take things away, lets have some public skips, get angry about councils leaving some areas to go to shit whilst spending a fortune beautifying posh areas, not some poor sod who drops a crisp packet and doesn't pick it up because they have a bad back or a mum who ditched a broken buggy because it was the only way to get her kid home.

I'm not defending it especially, I'm just saying that words like unacceptable or inexcuseable are a bit pompous for what is in reality a bit of mildly anti-social behaviour or laziness that is easily resolved by adequate public services. Stop councils charging a fortune to take things away, lets have some public skips, get angry about councils leaving some areas to go to shit whilst spending a fortune beautifying posh areas, not some poor sod who drops a crisp packet and doesn't pick it up because they have a bad back or a mum who ditched a broken buggy because it was the only way to get her kid home.

I thought this thread was about littering - not public services?

Last edited:
Littering is a form of pollution. if you define that as something - usually man-made - dumped where it shouldn't be. Plastics, like sweet wrappers, chewing gum, crisp and carrier bags, are non-biodegradable and are therefore persistent in the environment. However, unlike oil spills or mine and production waste, littering - or rather being non-littering - is something each and everyone can aspire to. There are plenty of other things that "street sweepers" could do, if you are worried about employment --- for example; emptying litter bins, weeding, cutting grass, painting fences and such like in maintaining open spaces.

Honestly I get you in that I think that most environmental problems are systematic. Certainly where I live and work (part of my job with a local charity is gardening to improve public spaces on local estates (yep I know all the issues with voluntary sector taking over what should be public services but its a wage) which also involves dealing with huge amounts of litter) that is a big part of it. It was already one of the dirtiest places for litter and flytipping in the country, but is now apparently the "worst litter hotspot" in the UK due to the fine efforts of the council in increasing charges for bulky waste, removing litter bins, cutting all kinds of services, making environmental services workers redundant, and fucking off the bin collectors so badly that they were working to rule for ages and the system still hasn't recovered! And obviously poverty and stress and disability and depression and addiction, and having a relatively transient population with people moving here from all over the world/the country (so having to learn a new system of dealing with rubbish) and people not staying here long all contribute. And dodgy landlords, local businesses that don't deal with waste properly, and flytippers coming from all over all make things worse too.

But dropping litter is still basically antisocial and a large portion of the time it could be avoided - I can guarantee that most of the crisp packets round here aren't accidentally dropped by someone with a bad back! And often when littering can't be avoided there is often less bad options which would not affect neighbours as much - leaving it next to a bin for example - which people don't always do. For example in planted areas I often come across ripped up, stinking bags of food waste, nappies, and general household stuff which has obviously come from someone's kitchen bin - now i can well imagine the situation where someone's wheelie bin is full or lost or they are confused about what bin to use - but in that situation could they not have put it in someone else's bin or a litter bin, or left it in the back lane, or next to a bin, or even on the side of the road, rather than push it into some bushes where the dogs, cats, rats, mice, flies, and foxes will get to it, and your neighbours get a nasty smell as they walk past and notices flies and rats but no-one can see what's actually causing the problem (and yes more council clean-ups would help but also not dumping stuff would help too). Its about having basic social solidarity with the people around you - and basic self-respect if its the place you live in.

And yeah I am angry when I see kids I know playing around dog shit and broken glass and rats, or when a neighbour with vision and mobility problems says they can't go out because of all the trip hazards (litter) on the pavement, or when my elderly neighbour gets litter lobbed into her backyard, or when more people I know have their houses infested with rats or mice or flies or cockroaches, or when someone dumps and industrial freezer directly outside my back gate so I can't open it, or I go to take my bin out and step in dogshit on my back step, or I find a rotting meat dumped in the back lane, or a mechanical meat slicer which a child could easily lose a finger in dumped by the side of the road. And I am angry at the council for not providing proper services and treating their workers badly, and the government for cutting council funding, and businesses that cause litter or flytip, and poverty and the causes of all the social problems, and the way social solidarity has been undermined. But I also don't see anything wrong with being angry at the people who are being absolutely antisocial.

The thing is its not the majority of people doing this. There's even a surprising number of people round here who you see sweeping their front yard/front and back steps, and often the pavement in front and behind their house every day - and those people don't necessarily have any less problems than the people doing the littering. And problems like addiction don't necessarily mean that people automatically make a mess - a few years ago the needle exchange more than halved the amount of needles found in public places in the city just by giving out portable sharps bins, and then putting up a monthly map (only viewable at the exchange, not circulated anywhere else) of where needles had been found - and service users living around hotspots mostly sorted out the problems between themselves. And loads of the litter is caused by people who have few problems - the massive amount of litter you see in the local park near student accommodation after any sunny day during term time for example. I think its perfectly reasonable to want your neighbours to treat their surrounding and people around them with respect, and to be disappointed and angry when they don't do this.

Honestly I get you in that I think that most environmental problems are systematic. Certainly where I live and work (part of my job with a local charity is gardening to improve public spaces on local estates (yep I know all the issues with voluntary sector taking over what should be public services but its a wage) which also involves dealing with huge amounts of litter) that is a big part of it. It was already one of the dirtiest places for litter and flytipping in the country, but is now apparently the "worst litter hotspot" in the UK due to the fine efforts of the council in increasing charges for bulky waste, removing litter bins, cutting all kinds of services, making environmental services workers redundant, and fucking off the bin collectors so badly that they were working to rule for ages and the system still hasn't recovered! And obviously poverty and stress and disability and depression and addiction, and having a relatively transient population with people moving here from all over the world/the country (so having to learn a new system of dealing with rubbish) and people not staying here long all contribute. And dodgy landlords, local businesses that don't deal with waste properly, and flytippers coming from all over all make things worse too.

But dropping litter is still basically antisocial and a large portion of the time it could be avoided - I can guarantee that most of the crisp packets round here aren't accidentally dropped by someone with a bad back! And often when littering can't be avoided there is often less bad options which would not affect neighbours as much - leaving it next to a bin for example - which people don't always do. For example in planted areas I often come across ripped up, stinking bags of food waste, nappies, and general household stuff which has obviously come from someone's kitchen bin - now i can well imagine the situation where someone's wheelie bin is full or lost or they are confused about what bin to use - but in that situation could they not have put it in someone else's bin or a litter bin, or left it in the back lane, or next to a bin, or even on the side of the road, rather than push it into some bushes where the dogs, cats, rats, mice, flies, and foxes will get to it, and your neighbours get a nasty smell as they walk past and notices flies and rats but no-one can see what's actually causing the problem (and yes more council clean-ups would help but also not dumping stuff would help too). Its about having basic social solidarity with the people around you - and basic self-respect if its the place you live in.

And yeah I am angry when I see kids I know playing around dog shit and broken glass and rats, or when a neighbour with vision and mobility problems says they can't go out because of all the trip hazards (litter) on the pavement, or when my elderly neighbour gets litter lobbed into her backyard, or when more people I know have their houses infested with rats or mice or flies or cockroaches, or when someone dumps and industrial freezer directly outside my back gate so I can't open it, or I go to take my bin out and step in dogshit on my back step, or I find a rotting meat dumped in the back lane, or a mechanical meat slicer which a child could easily lose a finger in dumped by the side of the road. And I am angry at the council for not providing proper services and treating their workers badly, and the government for cutting council funding, and businesses that cause litter or flytip, and poverty and the causes of all the social problems, and the way social solidarity has been undermined. But I also don't see anything wrong with being angry at the people who are being absolutely antisocial.

The thing is its not the majority of people doing this. There's even a surprising number of people round here who you see sweeping their front yard/front and back steps, and often the pavement in front and behind their house every day - and those people don't necessarily have any less problems than the people doing the littering. And problems like addiction don't necessarily mean that people automatically make a mess - a few years ago the needle exchange more than halved the amount of needles found in public places in the city just by giving out portable sharps bins, and then putting up a monthly map (only viewable at the exchange, not circulated anywhere else) of where needles had been found - and service users living around hotspots mostly sorted out the problems between themselves. And loads of the litter is caused by people who have few problems - the massive amount of litter you see in the local park near student accommodation after any sunny day during term time for example. I think its perfectly reasonable to want your neighbours to treat their surrounding and people around them with respect, and to be disappointed and angry when they don't do this.

Agreed.

Sort of suffering from industrial scale littering; the (my) workshop is on a small and now neglected industrial estate - the remains of the largest employer in town - the landlord is hoping to sell up, but to do so he has to clear the waste left behind by an absconding tenant, so far the contractor, in less than a week, has filled at least eight of those container sized skips, and about five smaller ones. About half, maybe, has been cleared. This has been scrap tyres, old fridges and other junk.(Mostly from the tenant, who was "Cooler Recycling" and the rest of the site were extremely pleased when they left - but not with their working methods nor their waste).
We have to hire skips or industrial bins to dispose of our "non-domestic" waste ...

Do you seriously expect a skint parent to waste their money on cab just because it might upset a few peoples sense of aesthetics for a few seconds as they walk past. Ring the council and ask them to take it away if it bothers you that much. That's what we pay them money for isn't it?

I pay my rates so old people get looked after, so the fire engines have water in them, so kids have football pitches to play on. I'd rather they do that stuff with my money than clean up after slovenly fuckers like you.

Stop councils charging a fortune to take things away,

Our council does free bulk waste collection. Fly tipping is still a huge problem, because people are too lazy to phone the council and wait a week or two before chucking their shit out in the street.

lets have some public skips.

These would get filled up immediately by unscrupulous businesses who saw a great way to sack off paying their commercial waste collection rates.

McDs has got to be epicentre of fast food Shyte! Just what is the secret of its success?

Brand ubiquity and marketing. I remember going to mcdonalds was a big deal when I was a kid, even though the food was always disappointing. A clever trick, and one people like the fucking olympics help them to pull off.

Round here generic fried chicken shop boxes are the biggest category of fast food litter. I think it's just a function of how much of something people buy in a particular area, I don't think there's anything in mcdonalds food or mcdonalds customers in particular which encourages littering.

Back
Top Bottom