Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

The sheer amount of plastic - food wrappers / water bottles and dogshite bags - littering all of the several Northumberland "seaside" villages we visited yesterday.
Also lack of bins for recycling / waste disposal as people are, it seems, too lazy to take their rubbish home & deal with it properly.
I must have brought almost a carrier bag's volume of plastic back with us yesterday, not all of it started off with us, as I did pick up a couple of extra bottles, crisp packets & sweet wrappers to add to our collection. All of which went into our bins at home.

I will say that the loos were clean, even quite late in the day ...

Plastic is just depressing, it’s a problem that needs tackling at the source not the consumer because otherwise it’s just never going to stop

Tried plastic free a couple of years ago and we lasted like a week, it’s just not possible if your working or not affluent

A real pet hate of mine these days are all the hires bikes left all over the place. Not only do they leave the place looking a mess but they often block the pavements. I have heard of people vandalising the bikes in order to try and get the bike hire companies to pull out.

Really prefer docked rental bikes over pick up and ride ones for that reason

Couldn't believe how filthy England was when I was back last month, although I did notice it got a bit cleaner relatively speaking the further North you go, until Edinburgh seems pretty clean.

Seeing littering makes me go all Jimmy from Reggie Perin.

We’ve got the litterbusters in my town, sponsored by several local businesses, meaning all their equipment is provided by the glassworks and after a day of litterpicking, if its the grown ups they get free food and drink in the pub and if it’s the young uns, then its pizza and ice cream or something similar donated by one of the takeaways. Bin bags filled this year so far, nearly 700. They make a huge difference, the town is nice n clean and they also report serious flytipping in, there was a conviction last year. The fella who started it became a local councillor last year and is great. He’s a do-er rather than a hot air emitter.
IMG_2646.jpeg

The worst part of living in an area that many folk think is an open air landfill site is walking your kids around it. The imprint of their childhood walking around open air squalor. I'd definitely lock the worst offenders up for it.

We’ve got the litterbusters in my town, sponsored by several local businesses, meaning all their equipment is provided by the glassworks and after a day of litterpicking, if its the grown ups they get free food and drink in the pub and if it’s the young uns, then its pizza and ice cream or something similar donated by one of the takeaways. Bin bags filled this year so far, nearly 700. They make a huge difference, the town is nice n clean and they also report serious flytipping in, there was a conviction last year. The fella who started it became a local councillor last year and is great. He’s a do-er rather than a hot air emitter.
View attachment 386217
good important work. really important. Good for the kids who do it to understand that the environment one lives in is half hte battle in life, so it's worth looking after it.

Best thing is, the littering is going down. BUT The worst bit by far now is the A road down from the M62, we have two huge incinerators that replaced the power station, rubbish is delivered by truck to the incinerators but they don’t always secure the trucks well enough and some trucks leave a trail of plastic trash. A lane closure has to be organised by the highways agency in order to do a litterpick safely and it took our new councillor over a year of relentless follow up to get them to agree to do it.

The sheer amount of plastic - food wrappers / water bottles and dogshite bags - littering all of the several Northumberland "seaside" villages we visited yesterday.
Also lack of bins for recycling / waste disposal as people are, it seems, too lazy to take their rubbish home & deal with it properly.
I must have brought almost a carrier bag's volume of plastic back with us yesterday, not all of it started off with us, as I did pick up a couple of extra bottles, crisp packets & sweet wrappers to add to our collection. All of which went into our bins at home.

I will say that the loos were clean, even quite late in the day ...
Have now stayed in several hotels this year and there is not the slightest nod to recycling.
last week we were encouraged to think of the environment and not to get our towels cleaned every day but I feel this was more
about saving the hotel money. I think if people were encouraged to recycle hotels they would possibly think about it more when they are out and about.

There’s a heirarchy of dumping shit in the UK

Tossing a can onto the ground is seen as bad form but wanker people still do it

Placing a can on a garden wall does seem to be far more acceptable, despite recycling blue bins being literally a metre away

Lewisham council started placing those big woven 1 ton delivery sand bag things in parks recently to supplement the usual cast iron shit bins during warm weather. People still left their shitty cans and bottles in the grass near to them.

Reeducation camps are too good got these vermins. The UK is a toilet. Get the park staff tooled up for on the spot capital punishment.

My view on littering is probably the most authoritarian punitive right wing view I have. Litterers should be publicly shamed and pelted with rotten garbage and made to clear it all up afterwards. With their tongues.
For me to for sure, I wander into the right wing law enforcement section of the ven diagram when it comes to people who do this.

Several of the hotels we've been in over the past 18 months do have a point for mixed recycling at reception, but no real provision in the rooms {such as a list & separate bins} and I noticed that some of the housekeeping carts only had one black rubbish bag ...

hash tag - yeah, I agree, the thing about towels is more about the hotel making £££ savings, rather than actual environmental benefits. It's been about for some years, though.

Years ago, I was up at Kielder Water, in one of the lesser used areas. Having a break [lunch] from wildlife-based activities - including litter picking -when another car pulled up.

The driver lobbed out several food / takeaway wrappers and cigarette butts, after only a few minutes.

To the warden I was with "I'm not having that"
Walked over and picked the stuff up - knocked on the driver's window ...
"You dropped some stuff"
reply "oh, it's rubbish, I don't want that ..."

So I lobbed it into the back seat of the car "Neither does Kielder ... !"

He drove off, and was followed by the warden for some distance, just to make sure he didn't throw it out again.

I spoke to the warden's manager, to "own up" in case the bloke complained.
As far as I know, he didn't.
But I doubt he learned much from our encounter.

Not littering per se but dog shit is an increasing problem in the village. Mostly this is in the new build areas. I don't understand why you'd move to a village, buy a £500k+ house then let your dog shit in the street. Surely you come here because it's such a pretty and desirable village in which to live, so why spoil it?

On Friday we saw a dogwalker open the gate to the house opposite, let his dog in for a shit, then walked away. The garden is unkempt but what a dreadful thing to do. Had I been dressed I'd have challenged them.

I just walked back from nursery with my kid and walking past flats where the grass all around the entrance is just covered in takeaway boxes and other rubbish. Depressing and horrible for kids.

I don't recall hearing any conversations about creating a proper returns policy for packaging, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The plastic bag tax has been a success, despite them only costing 10p. If such a surcharge were put on drinks cans and bottles, fags, vapes, fast food, etc, with that given back to the buyer by the vendor once returned, I suspect that we'd see less litter.

Aye, it can't be beyond the wit of the POS system people to devise a way of returning deposits on cans & bottles to customers - although I recall that glass "pop" bottles really had to go back to where you bought them from {shop or delivery roundsman}.

It used to be a good source of income for topping up pocket money, going round picking up and returning bottles ...

But the corona man wouldn't accept whites bottles !

My parents ran a newsagent years ago. There was nowhere to store all the returned bottles, except in the back yard.

The local kids would climb over the wall, nick bottles, then walk round the corner to the shop and sell them back to us!
Somewhat the same thing for the shop in the village where I spent quite a few summer holidays - the guy who ran that shop used to initial the labels & take off the cap. It was only a couple of lads that did that, and they eventually moved away.
I used to get some spending money / free fruit & sweets by spending a couple of hours putting the caps back on in the morning before the roundsman delivered the new crates. And having a good gossip, of course !

Last edited:
My parents ran a newsagent years ago. There was nowhere to store all the returned bottles, except in the back yard.

The local kids would climb over the wall, nick bottles, then walk round the corner to the shop and sell them back to us!
Like the plastic bag tax it'd probably be a staggered introduction, applying first to the biggest retailers. As StoneRoad says, wiser people than me can no doubt devise the exact specifications of such a scheme.

This is one of two outside Clapham junction, in the rush hour, minutes ago
View attachment 386273
some interesting questions re littering and aesthetics. why is a green field immaculate so much more pleasing on the eye (and soul?) than one filled with human refuse. it just is, isn't it? a complex coming together of values within the human creating the pleasing view. and it's sad that those values of aesthetics are absent from some, probably of no fault of their own. my attitude to public civility i think has likely come from 50% from my parents, but that's a whole other rabit hole. but a prestine public space will forever be more pleasing i think for human kind forever. thing is a lot of litter louts probably do like the clean and orderly, they wouldn;t want to go on holiday where the place is a coke can strewn shit hole. maybe some people care sometimes, some people care never, and some people care all the time, like those on the thread. it;s a values issue. how those values are constructed in teh human is whole other thread.

I just want less dog shit, in general, we had to put up a fence. 20% for ours escaping but 80% was cos over the road refuse to train their bulldog, again.

some interesting questions re littering and aesthetics. why is a green field immaculate so much more pleasing on the eye (and soul?) than one filled with human refuse. it just is, isn't it? a complex coming together of values within the human creating the pleasing view. and it's sad that those values of aesthetics are absent from some, probably of no fault of their own. my attitude to public civility i think has likely come from 50% from my parents, but that's a whole other rabit hole. but a prestine public space will forever be more pleasing i think for human kind forever. thing is a lot of litter louts probably do like the clean and orderly, they wouldn;t want to go on holiday where the place is a coke can strewn shit hole. maybe some people care sometimes, some people care never, and some people care all the time, like those on the thread. it;s a values issue. how those values are constructed in teh human is whole other thread.
Rubbish is rubbish, it does not belong in a public place. If you rent in a shared place you don't make a mess of the common rooms. Outside should be the same.

I don't recall hearing any conversations about creating a proper returns policy for packaging, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The plastic bag tax has been a success, despite them only costing 10p. If such a surcharge were put on drinks cans and bottles, fags, vapes, fast food, etc, with that given back to the buyer by the vendor once returned, I suspect that we'd see less litter.
This has been talked about in Scotland. I think there was a hiccup involving cans. Perhaps someone like danny la rouge knows more

This has been talked about in Scotland. I think there was a hiccup involving cans. Perhaps someone like danny la rouge knows more
I don’t know any more than the media have reported: Why has Scotland's deposit return scheme been delayed? Why has Scotland's deposit return scheme been delayed?

“The Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) was meant to go live this summer, then it was pushed back to March next year - and now MSPs have been told it won't be rolled out until at least October 2025.

The latest stumbling block has been a row between Holyrood and Westminster which wants glass excluded so that a consistent UK-wide approach can be taken. The Scottish minister championing the scheme says that amounts to "sabotage".”

“The scheme had been due to launch this August, but it was put back to March 2024.

But then a new stumbling block came when it emerged that the UK government might not grant an exemption from the Internal Market Act which was needed for the scheme to proceed.”

Or - and hear me out - how about summary execution?

I think that once word gets around that you just get shot in the head for littering, no mitigating circumstances, no appeal, we'll see a significant improvement. We create a specific Litter Patrol to enforce. Body Cam footage has to provide unquestionable evidence, otherwise the Executing Officer gets executed too. Creates loads of jobs.

See it, sort it. <BANG!>

Can't see any way this can go wrong.

Or - and hear me out - how about summary execution?

I think that once word gets around that you just get shot in the head for littering, no mitigating circumstances, no appeal, we'll see a significant improvement. We create a specific Litter Patrol to enforce. Body Cam footage has to provide unquestionable evidence, otherwise the Executing Officer gets executed too. Creates loads of jobs.

See it, sort it. <BANG!>

Can't see any way this can go wrong
There's a horribly cathartic beauty to this that scares me.

The Litter Patrol moves along the lay byes of this green and pleasent land. Is that your bargin bucket on the floor, sir? Click clack

Back
Top Bottom