Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

I’m fucking furious about what’s happening in Dorset and this is before campsites etc have opened up. The result is that people living here won’t be able to access their local outside space this summer because it’s going to be absolutely fucking packed with tourists every day so lockdown continues for us.
Pissed up, fighting, littering, illegally parking. It’s not everyone but it’s enough.
I’ve tried not to be too NIMBY and selfish over this but now I want all the visitors to fuck off.
Let's go barricade the A338, right under that Welcome to Bournemouth sign.

Spent today at West Wittering, you had to Pre book and pay the parking and all the way from
Chichester there were signs telling you the car park is full and you need a ticket. From about two miles before the beach there were cars parked on the verges, in hedges and so on. The beach was mobbed, but no litter at all :)
87F2770B-5E78-49CB-8FD1-B0BFCA3E86F2.jpeg9FBDDECE-CF24-4913-A3D7-56904C064049.jpeg

I really do not understand the mentality of just leaving your shit everywhere for someone else to pick up.

There are times on seeing the mess I’d genuinely legalise setting loose tasers on the fuckers.

I just do not get it and half of these people littering around here are driving here in a car.

I really do not understand the mentality of just leaving your shit everywhere for someone else to pick up.

I think there may be some thinking that someone else is paid to pick it up (and I keep them in a job). This really breaks down when you consider that the person who might professionally pick it up is employed by the local authority, who are funded through taxation, which is paid for by...

Some might also be in the conspiratorial belief that disposal firms just bury it/dump it in the ocean/ship it to Asia.

And of course if confronted I would expect a lot of whataboutery, and protestations of how small and insignificant they and their littering are.

I mean towels and stuff as well. They've taken a towel to sit on and just left it. I guess it's like the festival fallout you get these days with tents and all sorts just left behind.

It's exactly the same mentality as you see at festis these days; no one enjoys packing down and lugging that shit back to the car park having spent the past three or four days getting mullered, but we do it cos to leave even fifty quid's worth of shit behind would be too much, that's before you get to the littering part of it. But there seems to be an attitude today that throwing money away is fine. See also the buckets of Starbucks clasped in every young paw, the Uber rides when the tube or buses cover the route and so on.

<Grumble, grumble, shouts at cloud...>

I fucking hate people. I go to festivals and I don’t leave a scrap of litter on the floor. Same when I go to the beach or the forest. My car is a pigsty but I’ve never thrown litter out of the window. Why are some people so fucking selfish. 😡

I’ve seen people throw bags of McDonalds packaging out their car window whilst doing 60mph on the A19 - absolute idiots.

Last edited:
Bournemouth beach yesterday. I just want to go down there with a loudhailer and tell them if they can't take it home with them then fuck off our beach.

View attachment 219382
I saw photos of this in Bournemouth. So sorry you’re having to deal with it.

We get it here when it gets sunny (south Kent coast). And it’s been particularly awful in these warm COVID weeks. Here, it’s a mixture of locals and outsiders flocking to the beach and seaside parks. Considering how many turn up,it’s probably a small percentage who leave their shit (literally sometimes) lying around.

But as someone said above, if the reasonable people would just take their rubbish home, it would be a huge help.

People turn up at 7.30 am laden with tartan plastic bags, gazebos, barbies etc. Then when they leave they say, there wasn’t any room in the bin so I left my rubbish in a bin bag next to the bin. Because obviously there are no gulls, foxes or rats in seaside towns who will tear those bags open.

It’s especially shit here for the garden/ park keeping guys (who are already trying to keep the area and plants looking lovely, and have had their core staff whittled down over the years). So they spend their first 2 hours at work litter picking, including human waste, fielding calls about missing lifebuoys, all the early dog- walkers complaining about buckets of raw marinated chicken left in the bushes, nappies etc.

I think a lot of people, whether local or visiting, think that ‘They’ should have late evening rubbish collections. And thereby absolve themselves from the responsibility of taking their litter home.

We get it here when it gets sunny (south Kent coast). And it’s been particularly awful in these warm COVID weeks. Here, it’s a mixture of locals and outsiders flocking to the beach and seaside parks. Considering how many turn up,it’s probably a small percentage who leave their shit (literally sometimes) lying around.

But as someone said above, if the reasonable people would just take their rubbish home, it would be a huge help.

People turn up at 7.30 am laden with tartan plastic bags, gazebos, barbies etc. Then when they leave they say, there wasn’t any room in the bin so I left my rubbish in a bin bag next to the bin. Because obviously there are no gulls, foxes or rats in seaside towns who will tear those bags open.

It’s especially shit here for the garden/ park keeping guys (who are already trying to keep the area and plants looking lovely, and have had their core staff whittled down over the years). So they spend their first 2 hours at work litter picking, including human waste, fielding calls about missing lifebuoys, all the early dog- walkers complaining about buckets of raw marinated chicken left in the bushes, nappies etc.

I think a lot of people, whether local or visiting, think that ‘They’ should have late evening rubbish collections. And thereby absolve themselves from the responsibility of taking their litter home.

If you can get it in a bin you should take it home, or as we used to do after clearing up at raves, drive it to a place with large bins (behind a load of shops etc.) and dump it there.

But for councils that earn a lot of money from seaside day trippers perhaps laying on loads of dumpy bins might be a reasonable expense for them to bear, again back to West Wittering where the car park is stuffed with large bins, which may account for the beach being so free of litter...

Summer is not a surprise event.

The level of littering is still absolutely disgusting though whatever your perspective.
The lack of provision was disgraceful. The car parks in Bournemouth were full at 08:00. In the past that fact would have been noticed and trigger a well established plan inc overflow carparks, overtime for cleaning crews, traffic Marshall's etc. This didn't happen although the 30c plus weather was predicted for a week.

They didn't implement their plan out of resentment that with all the local businesses being shut, their grasping hands would remain empty.

The lack of provision was disgraceful. The car parks in Bournemouth were full at 08:00. In the past that fact would have been noticed and trigger a well established plan inc overflow carparks, overtime for cleaning crews, traffic Marshall's etc. This didn't happen although the 30c plus weather was predicted for a week.
Good point well made

ETA: but that only goes so far to explain the problem. There are clearly a lot of people who have just sat on the beach, strewn stuff around themselves and then just got up and walked off making no attempt to take their rubbish to a bin, overflowing or otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom